3 things really bug me about this team

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
1. We never seem to be anywhere near tipped passes on defense. I watch other teams and they swarm to the ball when the ball is tipped or deflected, and turn it into a turnover. When a ball is tipped by the Dallas defender, either the offense gets it or it hits the ground with now Cowboys player within 5 yds of the ball. This has been a long standing and frustrating trend.

2. We force a lot of fumbles. We may not get many interceptions, but we do get the opponent to put the ball on the turf quite a bit....Unfortunately, we rarely are able to fall on the loose ball. More often than not, the ball seems to bounce right back to the fumbler. However, on the ones that don't, we seem to have the hardest time just falling on it. This has been an issue all season, and even last year.

3. What is the deal with our WRs? I watch other teams, and when the ball is thrown up there, and they can't catch it, they do their darnedest to keep the defender from catching it. They make sure to not hang their QBs out to dry. Our WRs are lazy. If they can't get the ball, they give up on routes, they don't fight for the ball, and they sure as heck don't do their best to keep the defender from intercepting it. It is quite disappointing indeed. Romo isn't the most accurate guy out there lately. He makes some poor throws, but his guys need to have his back more and fight to keep the passes from getting cleanly intercepted.

goshan

Reaction score
Of those three, we have control over #3 really.
Our WR are overrated.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Did we not use to have fumble drills? At least weekly? And tipped pass drills? Do we anymore?

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Biggems;2516247 said:
2. We force a lot of fumbles. We may not get many interceptions, but we do get the opponent to put the ball on the turf quite a bit....Unfortunately, we rarely are able to fall on the loose ball. More often than not, the ball seems to bounce right back to the fumbler. However, on the ones that don't, we seem to have the hardest time just falling on it. This has been an issue all season, and even last year.

We have 14 forced fumbles and 11 fumble recoveries. That's the fifth-highest percentage of recoveries in the league -- and three of the four teams ahead of us have fewer forced fumbles and recoveries.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Biggems;2516247 said:
1. We never seem to be anywhere near tipped passes on defense. I watch other teams and they swarm to the ball when the ball is tipped or deflected, and turn it into a turnover. When a ball is tipped by the Dallas defender, either the offense gets it or it hits the ground with now Cowboys player within 5 yds of the ball. This has been a long standing and frustrating trend.

3. What is the deal with our WRs? I watch other teams, and when the ball is thrown up there, and they can't catch it, they do their darnedest to keep the defender from catching it. They make sure to not hang their QBs out to dry. Our WRs are lazy. If they can't get the ball, they give up on routes, they don't fight for the ball, and they sure as heck don't do their best to keep the defender from intercepting it. It is quite disappointing indeed. Romo isn't the most accurate guy out there lately. He makes some poor throws, but his guys need to have his back more and fight to keep the passes from getting cleanly intercepted.

1. Part of that is all the man coverage everyone wanted. In zones, all the DBs are able to see the whole play in front of them. In man, they're running with their receiver, so they don't see the ball.

2. Probably luck as much as anything.

3. This has been a criticism of especially TO for a long time now.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2516341 said:
We have 14 forced fumbles and 11 fumble recoveries. That's the fifth-highest percentage of recoveries in the league -- and three of the four teams ahead of us have fewer forced fumbles and recoveries.

We'd be 10-5 right now if we'd gone 12 out of 14...

Real1st

Nikola Tesla
Reaction score
The whole organization bothers me... The attitudes and culture.

Reaction score
Biggems;2516247 said:

Theres a foundation...would you like to continue?

BHendri5

Reaction score
I can help you with the receivers not breaking up the interceptions, they cannot, because everytime Romo throws an INT, he throws the ball right to the defenders the receivers have not opportunity to break up the INT, most of the time they are 3 to 5yards away.

Look back at the first INT of last night, T.O. is running a fly route down the sideline, Roy was running what look like a post , but the ball was thrown to the Ravens player that was running a seam route, Roy and T.O. was both at least 3 yards away.

The second INT, T.O. has the CB beat by 2 steps and Reed was in chase mode, but Romo, throws it short, how was T.O. suppose to break that INT up?

Before that T.O. has 2 steps on the CB, he is on the outside looking for the ball to the outside but Romo, throws the ball to the inside 2yards away.

Romo has been off all season long.

Every INT, that Romo has thrown the last 2 seasons has been to the defenders, our WRs have no chance to break them up.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2516341 said:

I don't care if the fumbles are forced or unforced....the opponent is putting the ball on the ground a lot, and we are not recovering it. Like I said, on many occasions, the ball seems to bounce right back to the fumbler.

Baltimore 5,1
NYG fumbled 2,0
Pittsburgh 2, 2
Seattle 2, 1
SF 2, 1
Wash 0, 0
NYG 3, 2
TB 1, 1
STL 0, 0
Arizona 2, 2
Cincy 1, 1
Wash 0, 0
GB 2, 1
Philly 3, 1
Cleveland 2, 0

Our opponents have fumbled 27 times. We have recovered 13 of them. Unfortunately, we couldn't force Washington or the Rams to fumble. I would like to have seen that number be 20/27 instead of 13/27, especially since we are not a team that gets a lot of interceptions.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Biggems;2516450 said:
Our opponents have fumbled 27 times. We have recovered 13 of them.

Um, that's almost exactly 50%. Isn't that about what it should be?

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Biggems;2516450 said:
I don't care if the fumbles are forced or unforced....the opponent is putting the ball on the ground a lot, and we are not recovering it. Like I said, on many occasions, the ball seems to bounce right back to the fumbler.

Baltimore 5,1
NYG fumbled 2,0
Pittsburgh 2, 2
Seattle 2, 1
SF 2, 1
Wash 0, 0
NYG 3, 2
TB 1, 1
STL 0, 0
Arizona 2, 2
Cincy 1, 1
Wash 0, 0
GB 2, 1
Philly 3, 1
Cleveland 2, 0

Our opponents have fumbled 27 times. We have recovered 13 of them. Unfortunately, we couldn't force Washington or the Rams to fumble. I would like to have seen that number be 20/27 instead of 13/27, especially since we are not a team that gets a lot of interceptions.

Considering that our percentage of recovering forced fumbles is so high, I'd expect our percentage of overall recovering is just as high, compared to the rest of the league. A lot of the "unforced" fumbles would be the type when the opponent wasn't anywhere near the ball, and that would be true no matter which teams are involved.