Q_the_man

Reaction score
Super Bowl years-

comp% --- yards---- tds ---- ints

45.3%--- 785--- 7--- 8
57%--- 2055--- 18--- 9
56%--- 2915--- 28--- 20
54%--- 3724--- 26--- 25

These are HOFer Terry Bradshaw stats during their Super Bowl seasons.

All that matter is that you win, football is hard enough, so let's root for our team and stop the hate....

BTW -I guess after Troy Aikman's rookie season going 0-8 some of you would have cut him!

Also check out John Elway and Steve Young first 4 year stats, not impressive at all

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
Super Bowl years-

45.3%--- 785--- 7--- 8
57%--- 2055--- 18--- 9
56%--- 2915--- 28--- 20
54%--- 3724--- 26--- 25

All that matter is that you win, football is hard enough, so let's root for our team and stop the hate....

BTW -I guess after Troy Aikman's rookie season going 0-8 some of you would have cut him!

Also check out John Elway and Steve Young first 4 year stats, not impressive at all
are you seriously comparing completion % from decades ago to today?
yeah sure, we would have cut the first pick in the draft in his rookie year

dude this post is as illegitimate as they get

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score

>.> i got a suspicion that this is an attempt to compare Dak to Rodgers and Brady again, or well at least to QBs that won it 4 or more times (not rodgers there)

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

No it is not.

Like Michael Irvin says, if someone is going to compare history, then you open it to all history. You can’t cherry pick years.
You can’t go back to the last SB and whine about things after that point, you go back through all the history.

And football is football. Passing now is no different than back then. Except the rules make it easier to get yards and stats.
Just that they pass more and the QBs wear dresses. They have more time to throw. And the WR are protected as well. You can’t sneeze on them without it being a penalty. So passes are easier to complete now.

Q_the_man

Reaction score

dude this post is as illegitimate a
No it is not.

Like Michael Irvin says, if someone is going to compare history, then you open it to all history. You can’t cherry pick years.
You can’t go back to the last SB and whine about things after that point, you go back through all the history.

And football is football. Passing now is no different than back then. Except the rules make it easier to get yards and stats.
Just that they pass more and the QBs wear dresses. They have more time to throw. And the WR are protected as well. You can’t sneeze on them without it being a penalty. So passes are easier to complete now.
I saw that today or yesterday I forget, lol

Q_the_man

Reaction score
>.> i got a suspicion that this is an attempt to compare Dak to Rodgers and Brady again, or well at least to QBs that won it 4 or more times (not rodgers there)
All I'm saying is I curse out Dak on the tv every game, but the hate all week and all year for a QB that has us in the driver seat for 2 division titles his first 3 years in the league is sad. I sometime swear this is the old Extremeskin forum or an old KFFL forum

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Super Bowl years-

45.3%--- 785--- 7--- 8
57%--- 2055--- 18--- 9
56%--- 2915--- 28--- 20
54%--- 3724--- 26--- 25

It would have been an idiots convention on Cowboyszone had it existed back then.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
All I'm saying is I curse out Dak on the tv every game, but the hate all week and all year for a QB that has us in the driver seat for 2 division titles his first 3 years in the league is sad. I sometime swear this is the old Extremeskin forum or an old KFFL forum

Is it him who has us in the drivers seat for that or the surrounding cast? There always more than one POV you know. In 2016, I would say Dak had us in the driver seat. This year, I tend to see the D, Zeek and Coop having us in the drivers seat. The Offensive line certainly not, but it isn't the worst in the league either. Dak is inconsistent.

Number1

Reaction score

you have a point, but here's the thing - it don't care what era you pull the numbers from, aren't gonna find better numbers than Dak over the first 3 years, except in TDs or rather TD% (that may be the most important stat line)

the general "fan" whines about coaches and QBs and anybody with a big contract - it's what they do - has next to nothing to do with what happens on the field

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
No it is not.

I'm not sure what stance you're taking here.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not sure what stance you're taking here.

I am saying, if someone wants to go back and compare stats, do not just say only go back 10 years or 20 years.
Yes the game is much different, and the rules have changed a lot to favor the offense. But football is still basically football.

So if you are going to compare, the you open up the entire history in some form. One just can't discard the 70's.
As Michael Irvin was saying on Collin Cowherd the other day. Everyone says , yeah but Dallas has not won in 25 years. Well, you just can't cut it off at 25 years. Go back to 1960, their first year. Or that was basically what he was saying.

It is like some used to get into the 1000 yard rushing. Jim Brown did it in 12 and 14 game schedules, others in 14, now 16 games. But yet it is still 1000 yards as that goal. But the record books do not have asterisks for such things. They do not have a column, 800 in 12 games, 1000 in 14, 1500 in 16.

So if someone wants to pick a player in a 4 year period, then do so, but there will always be another player that counters those stats. But don't put down that comparison. If one wants to counter it, give examples or an explanation. Just do not do a drive by shooting post.

To me they do not mean, if a player did that then, and a player does the now, makes them better or worse.
Sure I am frustrated with Jerry the last 25 years. Which really is not the past 25 years.
As did anyone truly think after the triplets were all gone, this team was going to continue to win SB's. No, it was going to take a good 5 years to get a team rebuilt, or more with the salary cap. Jerry screwed that up. And it took Garrett 3 or 4 seasons to get out of that hole. And then it really wasn't until this year they really got out of it. But that was mostly because of the contracts of Romo and Dez not being here.

But yet fans want to bring up that 25 year mark. To me I look at the past 4 to 5 years. Frustrated with Garrett and this staff, heck yes. But I won't bring up the past 25 years all the time, except do it in jest at times. High expectations to past SB wins, and not have sniffed the NFCCG, yes frustrated. But I am not going to dwell on it. Can't change it. So I look for the future, and possibilities not dwell on something I can't change.

Anyway, got off on a tangent, just woke up, 4 hours sleep, 1st cup of coffee, with nothing to do, but post on here today, as usual. Until the stock markets open, then I will still look on here. LOL.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I am saying, if someone wants to go back and compare stats, do not just say only go back 10 years or 20 years.
Yes the game is much different, and the rules have changed a lot to favor the offense. But football is still basically football.

So if you are going to compare, the you open up the entire history in some form. One just can't discard the 70's.
As Michael Irvin was saying on Collin Cowherd the other day. Everyone says , yeah but Dallas has not won in 25 years. Well, you just can't cut it off at 25 years. Go back to 1960, their first year. Or that was basically what he was saying.

It is like some used to get into the 1000 yard rushing. Jim Brown did it in 12 and 14 game schedules, others in 14, now 16 games. But yet it is still 1000 yards as that goal. But the record books do not have asterisks for such things. They do not have a column, 800 in 12 games, 1000 in 14, 1500 in 16.

So if someone wants to pick a player in a 4 year period, then do so, but there will always be another player that counters those stats. But don't put down that comparison. If one wants to counter it, give examples or an explanation. Just do not do a drive by shooting post.

To me they do not mean, if a player did that then, and a player does the now, makes them better or worse.
Sure I am frustrated with Jerry the last 25 years. Which really is not the past 25 years.
As did anyone truly think after the triplets were all gone, this team was going to continue to win SB's. No, it was going to take a good 5 years to get a team rebuilt, or more with the salary cap. Jerry screwed that up. And it took Garrett 3 or 4 seasons to get out of that hole. And then it really wasn't until this year they really got out of it. But that was mostly because of the contracts of Romo and Dez not being here.

But yet fans want to bring up that 25 year mark. To me I look at the past 4 to 5 years. Frustrated with Garrett and this staff, heck yes. But I won't bring up the past 25 years all the time, except do it in jest at times. High expectations to past SB wins, and not have sniffed the NFCCG, yes frustrated. But I am not going to dwell on it. Can't change it. So I look for the future, and possibilities not dwell on something I can't change.

Anyway, got off on a tangent, just woke up, 4 hours sleep, 1st cup of coffee, with nothing to do, but post on here today, as usual. Until the stock markets open, then I will still look on here. LOL.
If you're going back to compare stats beyond an "apples to apples" comparison, then yes, go back to the beginning. Personally, I don't usually care for most stats because they never, ever tell the whole story. As we've seen illustrated here so many times, people can pick whatever stats support their personal narrative, leaving boat loads of pertinent details out of the equation.

Even most of the "apples to apples" comparisons are flawed, due to players, coaches, rules, weather, etc., etc., etc. Few things can truly be measured with statistics. Accuracy, footwork, leadership, arm strength.........these things aren't measurable on the football field in any way other than the dreaded "eye test". That's why there are such huge differences of opinion.......IMO

Brax

Reaction score
Super Bowl years-

45.3%--- 785--- 7--- 8
57%--- 2055--- 18--- 9
56%--- 2915--- 28--- 20
54%--- 3724--- 26--- 25

I take you never saw real NFL football, it was a different game back then, not sure intent of the post but even in the 90's it hard to compare the game and stats. as for Aikman, 0 percent he would be cut in any era, you do realize the guy was #1 pick in the draft and played on really bad team, funny thing is he got better every season. Do you also realize he was booed heavily at times, as was Romo, Staubach, White, Meredith, Morton and just about every DC QB since LeBaron. Consistency and winning is the only cure. So many on this board bring up other QB's past and present to justify a deficiency, weakness, problem, when the only thing that matters is the QB now. I can tell you one thing for sure, Brady and Breeze as well as Peyton or Eli wouldn't still be playing at their ages if they played in the NFL before the new rules and their numbers would be the same also.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Super Bowl years-

45.3%--- 785--- 7--- 8
57%--- 2055--- 18--- 9
56%--- 2915--- 28--- 20
54%--- 3724--- 26--- 25

I agree with the point that winning is ultimately what matters, but Bradshaw played in an era where the stats you posted were in line with the QBs he was competing against. Dak's will need to compete with QBs that have much better numbers than QBs of that era, or than Dak put up last year and much of this year. The stats this year are improving though, and it seems were are now moving the ball much better than earlier in the season. But we still are having problems in the red zone. To me that is the key element that will have to change for the team to have a chance to compete in the playoffs.