"42 is the Mike"

Temo

Reaction score
I did a double take more than a couple times when I heard Eli saying that. Barry Church playing the mike?

Turns out the Cowboys did break out the dime package for the first time this season (in regular game play, that is) (source)-- Wilcox and Heath as the safeties, Carr/Scandrick/Claiborne or Webb as the corners, and Church as the MIKE LB, where Sean Lee would ordinarily play.

And of course, they got trucked in the running game all day long... but if it means not giving up 40 first downs like in the Saints game, so be it.

Anyway, doubt we see too much of it in the Oakland game (not exactly scared of the Raiders' passing attack), but against the Bears and Packers, for however long Lee continues to sit? Probably, right?

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I dont think that formation necessarily had anything to do with the run defense being bad. Mostly, its just the fact that our LBs are horribly slow at getting to and filling the hole.

IrishAnto

Reaction score
I believe they used Church because Lee was out.

I imagine we'll see it again against Oakland (hoping Lee is back for the game after).

Temo

Reaction score
I dont think that formation necessarily had anything to do with the run defense being bad. Mostly, its just the fact that our LBs are horribly slow at getting to and filling the hole.

I mean, Church had 13 tackles on the day, 8 solo. Of course, some of those might have been on plays where the RB breezed by the LBs.

I do agree though, I think Sims is pretty bad, Carter's better in coverage than in run support, and Justin Durant wasn't available.

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
I mean, Church had 13 tackles on the day, 8 solo. Of course, some of those might have been on plays where the RB breezed by the LBs.

I do agree though, I think Sims is pretty bad, Carter's better in coverage than in run support, and Justin Durant wasn't available.

If Carter is better in coverage.. Then, the Cowboys have worse problems.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Yeah church played it in that one look. Not unusual for a ss to play that 40 linebacker role.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
I've been on the church to LB move since training camp.