46 Defense?

Jay9508

Reaction score
A couple of years from now, I think the Cowboys should convert to the 46 Defense like the Ravens. The SS(Roy Williams) plays in the box more and the FS(Pat Watkins) plays centerfield more often. I believe it's more effective than the 34 Defense. A heavier pass rush, and designed to stop the run better. I know Dallas just converted to the 34 Defense, and it's a great defense. I just think the 46 Defense is better suited for the type of players on the the Cowboy's defense.

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
so right about the time our guys are peaking in the 3-4 we should change it?

Jay9508

Reaction score
stealth said:
so right about the time our guys are peaking in the 3-4 we should change it?
I said a couple of years from now, don't expect the Cowboys to stay in the 34 Defense for Generations to come.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Jay9508 said:
A couple of years from now, I think the Cowboys should convert to the 46 Defense like the Ravens. The SS(Roy Williams) plays in the box more and the FS(Pat Watkins) plays centerfield more often. I believe it's more effective than the 34 Defense. A heavier pass rush, and designed to stop the run better. I know Dallas just converted to the 34 Defense, and it's a great defense. I just think the 46 Defense is better suited for the type of players on the the Cowboy's defense.

No.

The Ravens tried to run a 46 last year. Didn't do so good.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
the 4-6 i think would be too slow for todays NFL, no way can you consistently have 8 guys in the box, and i think it would put far too much pressure on the corners to play man, granted both of our CBs are very good.

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
Teams have figured out how to counter the 46. If the blitz is picked up by a team with a decent OL, the secondary is exposed big time.

I think its useful these days as an alignment within a game...but not a base defense.