49er Observations...

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
-Overall the team came out against another bad team and performed like a good team should, in a dominant manner.

OFFENSE
-McQuistan looked good at LT, or servicable. I really like this kids potential, though Parcells said it well when he said he wouldnt be comfortable with him starting just yet.

-Rivera looks like he's got some pop back, he HAULED arse on that screen.
-Gurode has appeared to lock up that center spot, and that's a relief.
-Colombo looked pretty solid, and personally I think he's the starter.
=> The 49ers are pitiful, so the OL perfomance has me pretty happy, but again, I wanna see how they do once the bullets start flying, and we play a real defense.

-Jones had his burst, and justified why he shoud recieve a good amount of carries. Seems like we finally decided to give him a chance to run more stretch plays, and let him run to the outside a bit more, where he is much better.

-Barber again showed more flashes of what he can do. I really love what we have going at RB this year. I think the touches will be split pretty evenly among the two, as both do certain things very well.

-Lousaka Polite is going to be on this team I think. Very nice run to pick up that 1st down, showing he can be the big back Parcells wants him to be. Also layed some nice blocks, really nice cut block on that outside run by Jones. Saw his receiving ability last year.

-Terry Glenn just isn't stopping the show he's put on. Let's hope it continues throughout the season. With Jacksonville struggling on offense, and the play of our defese, I think we can feel pretty confident even if TO isn't ready go by Week 1. I think he will be out there next week, but you can never know with him.

-Bledsoe looked good and confident again. The OL did a good job protecting him. He looks very sharp, and definately put an end to the "controversy" some people were trying to cook up.
- The more I see of Rector, the more I like the kid. Didn't do that much on ST with the returns, but showed some nice shiftiness, making 3 guys miss on that one catch he had on the right. Showed nice awareness against a vet, Walt Harris, on that broken WR screen.

DEFENSE

-very stout all around.

-Ferguson looked very strong in the middle.

-Brady James is very dominant in the middle.

-The corners played solid as well.

The unit just plays really well, and this is without much scheming, and I think they are going to be a scary bunch this year. Ellis looks really good in his transition to OLB.

I only had time to watch the 1st half of the game. So I saw very little of the backups. And since the 1st team D was barely out there, there wasn't too much to take note of either.

I really don't want to be Parcells having to pick at the WR position. After Glenn, Crayton, and Owens, nothing is locked up. Hurd and Rector look great so far. "Cooper" has been stout on ST, though Hurd did come up with that tackle that the commentators immediately jumped on. Skyler Green, Im not sure your draft status has assured you anything.

proline

Reaction score
Crayton will make the roster, of course, but he's definitely not a lock for the #3 spot.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
proline said:
Crayton will make the roster, of course, but he's definitely not a lock for the #3 spot.
yes, he is.
we dont even have a close 4th.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
proline said:

unless he is limited by being hurt then yeah, he's the #3 guy

David

proline

Reaction score
a) He's been injured.

b) He's good, but he's not even close to the level of Glenn or Owen. That means there is room for someone to jump him in the lineup.

c) He carries the ball recklessly. Every time I see him fighting for yards I cringe.

d) With Owens, Barber, and two TE's available, Rector's quickness might actually get him more playing time than Crayton.

These are just my thoughts. I like Patrick, but I just don't see him as a lock for the #3 spot. It's a nice problem to have, though. :)