49ers cut CB Plummer, decline to tag Peterson

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Viewed as one of the NFL's top young cornerbacks only three years ago, Ahmed Plummer suddenly is a man without a team, after the San Francisco 49ers released the six-year veteran on Thursday afternoon.

The move came after two injury-plagued seasons in which Plummer appeared in just nine games, and after San Francisco coaches grew increasingly frustrated at his inability to stay healthy. Plummer, 29, figures to merit considerable interest in free agency if he is healthy, but that is a considerable caveat given the last two seasons.

The team's first-round choice in the 2000 draft, Plummer was one of three veterans released Thursday by the 49ers, joining wide receiver Johnnie Morton and defensive end Chris Cooper in the unemployment line. In total, the niners released nine players. But the former Ohio State standout, who in 2004 signed a five-year, $25 million contract extension that included $11 million in guaranteed bonuses, is the most notable of the three.

"This is the most difficult part of a great business, and you don't make these kinds of decisions lightly when you are dealing with a player's future," head coach Mike Nolan said in a statement released by the club. "The reality of the current NFL economic system is that you are forced to make tough economic decisions that are not based entirely on the football field."

The 49ers also declined to use the franchise tag on two-time Pro Bowl linebacker Julian Peterson, making him an unrestricted free agent next month.

Peterson, who missed most of the 2004 season with a torn Achilles' tendon, was one of the team's most popular players and earned $5.289 million last season.

If the team used the franchise tag on Peterson as they did in 2004, he would have been guaranteed $7.169 million next season if he didn't sign a long-term deal. San Francisco could have matched any deal he signed or gotten compensation if he left with the franchise tag.

The release of Plummer, Morton and Cooper will save the 49ers some cap room for 2006 but not a great deal. The team still owned Plummer $12.5 million in base salaries for the next three seasons, including a base salary of $5.5 million for 2006, but San Francisco will incur so-called "acceleration" charges for bonuses paid to the players in the past.

Plummer missed only three games during his first four seasons in the league. A starter from the outset of his career, Plummer combined good size and coverage skills and was certainly an emerging cornerback before injuries truncated his 2004 and 2005 seasons. Victimized by shoulder, neck and ankle injuries, he appeared in just six games in 2004 and three contests last season. Some coaches felt that Plummer did not make a strong enough effort to get back onto the field.

Obviously, cutting the onetime highly-prized defender was a bit easier for Nolan, since his regime was not responsible for drafting him. It will be interesting to see now how many other teams contact Plummer to gauge the state of his rehabilitation. For his career, Plummer has appeared in 70 games, and has compiled 316 tackles, 12 interceptions and 51 passes defensed.

A 13-year veteran, Morton was signed by the 49ers in 2005 to lend experience to a very young wideout corps. But he caught just 21 passes for 288 yards and, while a good mentor for the youngsters, no longer figured into San Francisco's plans for 2006. Morton has 624 catches for 8,719 yards and 43 touchdowns in a career that has included stints with three different teams.

Cooper was primarily a backup end for the 49ers in 2005. A former sixth-round draft choice in 2001, he has played with three different teams.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
CrazyCowboy said:
IMO Peterson would help our team alot......what do you folks think?

I think he would be a very good addition and was able to play in 15 games last season despite coming off the achilles injury that he sustained in 2004

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I like Peterson -- I just don't think he's the greatest fit in our D. At 235 he is tiny for a 3-4 OLB.

He'll likely end up somewhere that he can play his natural position in the 4-3.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
abersonc said:
I like Peterson -- I just don't think he's the greatest fit in our D. At 235 he is tiny for a 3-4 OLB.

He'll likely end up somewhere that he can play his natural position in the 4-3.

I completely agree on this one. I just don't see him as a good fit for the 34. Heck of a good player thou. Especially before the tendon went.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
CrazyCowboy said:
IMO Peterson would help our team alot......what do you folks think?

Heck of a player but wrong for the system unless he can add another 15 pounds.

k19

Reaction score
HardHittin'Witten said:
Agreed that he is too small for 3-4.

ILB-Tedy Bruschi, New England Patriots
Height: 6-1
Weight: 247

ILB-Ray Lewis, Baltimore Ravens
Weight: 245

Julian Peterson,
Height: 6-3
Weight: 235 lbs.

Kevin Burnett | LB
Height: 6-2
Weight: 239 lbs.

DeMarcus Ware | LB
Height: 6-4
Weight: 251 lbs.

Rosevelt Colvin | LB
Weight: 250 lbs.

Larry Izzo | LB
Height: 5-10
Weight: 228 lbs.

Donnie Edwards | LB
Weight: 227 lbs.

James Farrior | LB
Weight: 243 lbs.

Jamie Sharper | LB

Mike Vrabel | LB
Weight: 261 lbs.

Joey Porter | LB

So much for that arguement

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
k19 said:
ILB-Tedy Bruschi, New England Patriots
Weight: 247

ILB-Ray Lewis, Baltimore Ravens
Weight: 245

Julian Peterson,
Weight: 235 lbs.

Kevin Burnett | LB

DeMarcus Ware | LB
Weight: 251 lbs.

Rosevelt Colvin | LB

Larry Izzo | LB
Height: 5-10
Weight: 228 lbs.

Donnie Edwards | LB
Weight: 227 lbs.

James Farrior | LB
Weight: 243 lbs.

Jamie Sharper | LB

Mike Vrabel | LB
Weight: 261 lbs.

Joey Porter | LB

So much for that arguement
:hammer: Point taken. I totally agree. The guy is a damn good foot ball player when healthy. I think he's the best LB in pass coverage........be it RB, TE or WR.

If healthy he'd be a interesting addittion.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
plummer intrigues me...he should be had pretty cheap at this point...i think he would be great for depth

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Plummer has pretty good size- how about signing him for FS?

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Future 585 said:
plummer intrigues me...he should be had pretty cheap at this point...i think he would be great for depth

yeah...some player Plummer is

he got beat out by Bruce Thornton...

David

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Charles said:
:hammer: Point taken. I totally agree. The guy is a damn good foot ball player when healthy. I think he's the best LB in pass coverage........be it RB, TE or WR.

If healthy he'd be a interesting addittion.

There are very few teams that have 2 quality outside linebackers, so the interest in him will be obviously high. Still, somebody's probably going to overpay for a guy that has major injury issues, like the Chiefs did with Kendrell Bell. Peterson is a better player, but whoever signs him is going to be taking a huge risk, because it's going to be a big investment in a guy that might not see the field much.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would be surprised if any of those players are on the Cowboys radar. Even Peterson. He just isn't the same player he used to be.

Bledsoe4MVP

Benched
Reaction score
Teague31 said:
Plummer has pretty good size- how about signing him for FS?

The only CB I would want to convert to safety is Ty Law. Plummer is still relatively young and I'm sure he wants to play corner still anyway.