6 WR's & Only 3 TE's

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
I can't imagine Austin sticks around very long. If you are going to run a base 2 TE set, it makes absolutely no sense to carry 6 wideouts and only 3 TE's. Very surprised to see Austin make the squad over Curtis. I really hope Curtis lands back on the practice sqaud. If there are any other decent TE's available, i bet we sign him and cut Austin.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Lousaka Polite plays one of the te positions too. That makes 4.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
Teague31 said:
I can't imagine Austin sticks around very long. If you are going to run a base 2 TE set, it makes absolutely no sense to carry 6 wideouts and only 3 TE's. Very surprised to see Austin make the squad over Curtis. I really hope Curtis lands back on the practice sqaud. If there are any other decent TE's available, i bet we sign him and cut Austin.
Curtis had too many drops in preseason. I'm not surprised he was cut. Polite makes more sense because he can play FB, RB, H-Back or TE. We still have plays in our playbook that call for a FB. If we should decide that those plays would work in a certain situation we now have the option to run them. That gives a lot more flexibility than having another TE with questionable hands.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I really think more credence is put into this 'base 2-TE' set than there really is. It is no different from a team that plays base power I or ace back. Just because that is your base, you spend a lot of time subbing into other packages - you might play I 40% of the game, ace 21 %, strong set 10%, etc.

Teams that play I might still only have one or two FB, doesn't mean that they are light at the position.

Honestly, I think Jerry and Tuna blew this out of proportion to explain away Fasano to the media. That doesn't mean that 3 TE is 'light' - it's just all we need.

As far as 6 WRs - we obviously have some young talent at the position, more than we had at TE. You don't throw away talent to accomodate scheme. You scheme to talent. Go search the history from the 2005 offseason if you want more on this.