71' or 77' team?

cowboys19

Reaction score
Which Staubach/Landry led team was the best?

Im not old enough to remember any of the 4 super bowls Staubach was in, but I'm assuming the best team was one of those 2.

rathalarge

Reaction score
The '71 team was our first Super Bowl winner, and while there is nothing like the first time... the '77 Cowboys with the 'Doomsday Defense' was outstanding. Oh, and by the way, offensively, we weren't too shabby also!

JJB500

Reaction score
I would probably go with the 71 team, just because of the incredible depth that team had. Just look at the running back position, Duane Thomas, Calvin Hill, Walt Garrison and Dan Reeves! The secondary had Mel Renfro & Herb Adderley, Cornell Green, Charlie Waters & Cliff Harris. Just to name a few positions. The 77 teams was lucky they didn't have to play Pittsburgh in the Super Bowl, one of their 2 losses was 28-14 to the Steelers. They could never beat them!

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Both were dominant teams, but much like this year's Pats, no one thought for a minute the Cowboys weren't going to win it all...

The talk all year was who would lose to Dallas in the SB... and that's exactly what happened...

morieeel

Reaction score
I just remember there was a lovefest for the Orange Crush in 77. I got in trouble in 6th grade for ripping down all the Denver posters that kids drew and taped on the walls of our schools.

Loved the 77 team.... Think of all the cool names. Golden Richards, Too Tall, Hollywood, "the Beautiful Harvey Martin etc.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
To me both were great but the 71 team was special in that after years of coming up short they got over the hump.

burmafrd

Reaction score
For overall talent top to bottom the 71 Team is it. Forrest Gregg was a BACKUP.

Cowboy from New York

Reaction score
I'm too lazy to check this, but I believe that the '77 team was ranked number 1 in defense and offense. Plus Roger was in his prime and we had just brought in Tony D after having suffered from an weak running game the few seasons prior to that. Doomsday D was definetly at its height that season and they didnt keep sack stats but Harvey Martin had like 28 unofficial sacks that season.

Royal Laegotti

Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy!
Reaction score
Many of the "old timers" I know have told me that the '77 team was the best Cowboys team overall, I can't argue with'em since I didn't see any of the 70s superbowl teams.

Manster68

Reaction score
You know, I am sometimes wondering if I would actually take the 1971 team.

Let's look at it this way:

1971 was before the year 1974.

1974 was before 1977.

Why is 1974 so important?

That is the year where there were an extreme amount of rule changes. So football was played differently between 1971 to 1977.

Let's think of it this way also.

QB - Well it was the same guy in Staubach. However, Morton was the backup in 1971, and White was the backup in 1977. Staubach was more athletic in 1971, but much smarter in 1977. Regardless, it is a wash.

RB - I don't think that Duane Thomas will never get his just due, but that is his own fault though. Don't deny his athleticism, Thomas broke his share of tackles too (In 1971, that was extremely vital). Also, Calvin Hill and Walt Garrison rounded out an outstanding rushing attack.

In 1977, Dorsett, Newhouse, Preston Pearson, Dennison and Laidlaw were outstanding themselves. Dallas moved the ball on the ground very well in both of their championship years.

This would have to be a wash too because, despite Dorsett's super acceleration, the rule changes became much more liberal for the passing game.

OL - Got to give this to 1971. Hall of Famer Rayfield Wright, 7x Pro Bowler John Niland, Dave Manders, Multiple Pro Bowlers Blaine Nye and Ralph Neely, plus Tony Liscio is second in Cowboy history only to the 1995 offensive line. Also, Hall of Famer Forrest Gregg was taken out of retirement to help Landry when Neely got hurt and could not play in Super Bowl VI.

That is not to take anything away from Donovan, Scott, Fritzgerald, Lawless, Wright, and Neely (in his final year). They were outstanding as well. They just aren't to the 1971 standard though.

WR - This one will go to the 1977 group. Hayes, Alworth, & Reggie Rucker were terrifying. However, Drew Pearson, rookie Tony Hill, Butch Johnson, and Golden Richards were an absolute nightmare for opponents.

TE - Hall of Famer Mike Ditka and Pettis Norman in 1971, to Billy Joe Dupree and Jay Saldi in 1977, is pretty much a wash.

Now for the defensive line:

Let's see???

Both units were at the top of the defensive rankings.
Both units had a Hall of Famer Defensive Tackle (that we all love).

What tips the scales here is Harvey Martin and 6-9 Ed "Too Tall" Jones. Both players were at the zenith of their careers with 23 sacks for Harvey and Too Tall just blocking out one side of the field. Also, Bill Gregory and Larry Cole came off the bench and played outstanding.

So I am taking the 1977 group.

Linebackers - I am giving this to the 1971 group. Howley, Jordan, and Edwards had a lot more experience despite the fact that they were just better as a whole.

Safties - Harris and Waters with Hughes backing up in 1977 is much better than a young Cliff Harris in 1971 and Cornell Green.

Corners - Hmmmm, Barnes and Kyle, with Mark Washington in 1977? or

Hall of Famers Mel Renfro and Herb Adderley in 1971?

Need I say more?

Kicker - Efren Herrera MISSED 3 FIELD GOALS IN THE BIGGEST GAME OF HIS LIFE! So I'll take Clark in 1971.

Punter - Ron Widby in 1971 and Danny White in 1977. The edge goes to Danny as he was preety good on the fakes as well.

========================================

Bottom line:

You give me an athletic, big game quarterback, with a power running game, with an All Pro offensive line, with receiver that could stretch the field and run crisp pass routes, a devestating defensive line, with linebackers that knew how to intimidate in every way, and a set of Hall of Fame corners, and I WILL GO TO WAR WITH ANYBODY!

Therefore, I will take the 1971 team over the 1977 team.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
I was too young to remember the 71 team, but from people I've talked to that was a dominant, overwhelming team...5 times that yr the team scored 42 or more pts...

the 77 team was #1 in total offense, #2 in total defense...the 78 team that lost to Pittsburgh was also #1 in offense and #2 in defense

they were all great teams

David

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Picking the better team of the two is very difficult for me.....but I would probably go with the "71" team simply because they brought the first championship to Big D.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Comparing the season stats for the two teams is not an accuaret measurement of how good the 1971 team actually was since Staubach wasn't the full-time starter until mid way through the season. Once he was named the full time starter, the team didn't lose another game and we were much better all around.

Also, the rules had changed by 1977 in terms of the passing game so it isn't a fair comparison there either.

I would say that the 1971 team was the better of the two based mostly on the depth we had. I thought our 1968 and 1978 teams were better though even though we didn't win it all either season.

That playoff loss in 1968 to the Browns was the hardest loss I have ever gone through as a Cowboys fan as it was the best team we have ever fielded IMO. We were so deep it was ridiculous, our second string could have made the playoffs that season.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Easy one. Without a doubt, the 77 team was stronger. That was a completely dominating team on both side of the ball, especially on defense. One of the best front fours ever put together.