#88 Combos

muck4doo

Least-Known Member
Reaction score
Dez is playing lights out, and like Pearson and Irvin, is working with a good combo. How would you compare these trios:

88 Dez
Austin
Witten

88 Irvin
Harper
Novacek

88 Pearson
Hill
Dupree/Cosbie

perrykemp

Reaction score
Hard to argue against Irvin / Novacek / Harper.

Ask me again in 5 years and the answer might be different.

Gameover

Reaction score
I don't.I appreciate them equally..

take that back.can't stand miles austin

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Too young to speak on Pearson and co. but as far as the first two? I personally see more talent in Miles, Dez and Witten then I do Irvin, Novacek and Harper. Irvin is by far the best receiver of the group but Witten>Novaceck and Miles > Harper.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
Pearson and Tony Hill were pretty good. Doug Cosbie was like Jason Witten but in a different era. Or it could be said that Witten is like a Cosbie but just a few decades later and playing in a much more pass happy era.

Irvin and Novacek were the deal. Harper made some big plays, but he couldnt have even carried Pearson and Hills jockstraps.

Dez is playing great now, but hasnt done it long enough to be in the same category as the others mentioned. Miles is similar to Harper in that he shows up and does something every once in a while. Witten is the franchise all time receptions leader.

I put the Drew Pearson combo as #1.

Irivn's group is #2 even tho they have the 3 rings in 4 years. They are #2 becasue Harper is far behind Tony Hill IMO.

Dez's group is #3 because they havent accomplished anything yet, and Miles is the weak link just like Harper was for Irvin's group. This group has all the potential to be the best of the bunch - not anywhere near it yet tho!

fortdick

Reaction score
Gameover;4918816 said:
I don't.I appreciate them equally..

take that back.can't stand miles austin

Yeah, Miles only has 66 catches for 943 yards and 6 TDs. And still one game to go. I guess he sucks. It sounds like the same year Dez had last season when he sucked.

:rolleyes:

muck4doo

Least-Known Member
Reaction score
My personal opinion:

Irvin>Pearson>Bryant(Though Bryant looks like he has potential to move to the top)

Hill>Austin>Harper

Witten>Novacek>Dupree/Cosbie

If you gave 3 points for #1, 2 for #2, and 1 for #3, they all come out to 6 points. That was just something i was pondering, and like to see what others think. I love all three combos.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
perrykemp;4918815 said:
Hard to argue against Irvin / Novacek / Harper.

Ask me again in 5 years and the answer might be different.

It is in fact NOT hard to argue against that trio. Especially given that Austin is a proven #1 receiver and Witten just set an NFL record, respectively something Harper and Novacek did not do.

in b4 3 superbowls

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
fortdick;4918890 said:
Yeah, Miles only has 66 catches for 943 yards and 6 TDs. And still one game to go. I guess he sucks. It sounds like the same year Dez had last season when he sucked.

Actually it's pretty crazy because I think Austin is having a down year compared to what he's capable of, and he still puts up those numbers.

He sort of won me back over with the game tying TD vs NO.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Austin is much better than Harper, and Witten is much better than Novacek.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
Miles drags Dez's group down. Witten brings it way up though.

Eskimo

Reaction score
It is hard to say what Dez will become but he definitely has the potential to be the best of the #1's so long as he continues to work on the mental aspect of the game. He is way ahead of where Irvin was at the end of his 3rd year in the league which was 1990. Irvin didn't really break out until 1991 or his fourth year. It is interesting that in 1991 Irving was have a good year but then really broke out around game #10 kind of like Dez did this year somewhere around game #9.

As for the #2's everyone here is down on Austin because of his injury problems the last two years and a bit of dropsies but he has made the Pro Bowl twice, gone over 1000 yards twice in the last three seasons and is generally a game breaker who can be a threat both in catch and run as well as deep balls. If not for the hamstring issues he is probably a top 10 WR in the league. The only problem is that I don't know if he can overcome those problems with his hammies. He needs to get with a hamstring guru and work hard everyday to see what he can do.

As for the TEs Witten is far above the other two were both good players.

I think the current trio definitely is the best of the 3 but gets far less support from the running game and the OL so have to do it on their own against defenses who can both play coverage and not bring the 8th man up while being able to tee off against the pass with their front 4 while not having to worry about the run or a screen pass. The fact that we have still been able to move the ball and score a fair number of points is a testament to Romo and his group of receiving targets.

Gameover

Reaction score
fortdick;4918890 said:

stats don't show the true value of impact.i believe harris is a more valuable player than miles austin.

nova > witten#ibetterduck