CFZ A Big Serving of Blame for Dan Quinn

Chuck 54

Reaction score
The Cowboys have shown they can both stop the run and keep the QB in the pocket when the scheme calls for it.
The Giants ran the ball down our throats early and Jones was escaping the pocket to run and pass. Quinn immediately slowed the pass rush and brought in the bigs. Parsons and other DEs stayed outside with their Rush lanes to make Jone win from the pocket, and we still got pressure. Once we were ahead, he turned the dogs loose again.

Today, he allowed undisciplined pass rushing the entire first half. Over and over again, they either gashed us running inside of the DEs outside path or they gashed us inside because the DTs were twisting and shooting instead of pushing with gap control. Why? Why let any team, regardless of the score, Rush for 180 yards in one half? Why let a backup QB with mobility run and get outside the pocket with time to find a receiver breaking late? We have the players and schemes to prevent it. Why allow that and then finally do something else in the second half, forcing punts early.

Aside from Quinn, so many penalties on both sides of the ball, but why did Harper hold way back near the punt team, no where near Turpin’s big return. The hold took place about 35 yards from where Turpin fielded the punt and before he fielded it. It’s like almost everyone was trying to do too much except for Mike who moved the ball well, but with a super conservative game plan that later allowed for extremely tight coverages by DBs who were not afraid of anything down the field.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
Entire team and coaching staff should walk back to Dallas for this performance. Not a single player did well today. If I was the pilot, I’d laugh and leave them on the tarmac.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The Cowboys have shown they can both stop the run and keep the QB in the pocket when the scheme calls for it.
The Giants ran the ball down our throats early and Jones was escaping the pocket to run and pass. Quinn immediately slowed the pass rush and brought in the bigs. Parsons and other DEs stayed outside with their Rush lanes to make Jone win from the pocket, and we still got pressure. Once we were ahead, he turned the dogs loose again.

Today, he allowed undisciplined pass rushing the entire first half. Over and over again, they either gashed us running inside of the DEs outside path or they gashed us inside because the DTs were twisting and shooting instead of pushing with gap control. Why? Why let any team, regardless of the score, Rush for 180 yards in one half? Why let a backup QB with mobility run and get outside the pocket with time to find a receiver breaking late? We have the players and schemes to prevent it. Why allow that and then finally do something else in the second half, forcing punts early.

Aside from Quinn, so many penalties on both sides of the ball, but why did Harper hold way back near the punt team, no where near Turpin’s big return. The hold took place about 35 yards from where Turpin fielded the punt and before he fielded it. It’s like almost everyone was trying to do too much except for Mike who moved the ball well, but with a super conservative game plan that later allowed for extremely tight coverages by DBs who were not afraid of anything down the field.
What did quinn do wrong?

Praxit

Reaction score
A total team loss. It’s typical though. We’ve done this for years. On to next week
..yep, yep. Tough loss indeed. Looking at it, half full glass. It occurred early in season.

Plenty to learn from, A to Z.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
DQ needs to figure out how to use Micah when teams run at him. It will start happening a lot more. He was moving around today but it looked like the RB ran right at him often….wherever he was lined up.

Old'Boyfan

Reaction score
Quinn is certainly not excused from this loss. How is it that the Cardinals were able to gash this defense running the way they were?
I've been commenting in other threads about how the Giants and Jets were such easy marks. Were the Cardinals really that much better?
I can't help but think the coaching staff AND the players were looking past the Cardinals.

Praxit

Reaction score
For the past two previous season we started 2-1. We just lost the first one those years. People are pissed because it’s Arizona. They own us lately.
...actually, peeps are more pissed. Dallas was suppose to skunk them. AZ had something to say about that.

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
DQ needs to figure out how to use Micah when teams run at him. It will start happening a lot more. He was moving around today but it looked like the RB ran right at him often….wherever he was lined up.
Happened last season too. Guess no solution was discovered to counter it.

InDakEyeBack

Reaction score
Seen no evidence this season we can stop the run just like we couldn't last season. Giants got in a big hole in a hurry and couldn't commit to the run and Jets just didn't commit to the run. Today Cards got us for 222.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
That's what happens when you are a LBer playing strong DE. It's really the only way to offset his speed. Defense needed to be better pre snap recognition. And yes team needs a real middle LBer.

Zman5

Reaction score
The whole DLine looked slower today for some reason. Only thing I can think of is that we played on grass today for the first time this season. I'm not 100% sure that was the reason but the DLine looked slower off the snap than past two weeks.

Creeper

Reaction score

The penalties were a killer, but the defense was a little bit exposed today.

First, Bland is not Diggs. The Cards kept going at Bland and they had a lot of success. The Cowboys not only miss Diggs swagger on defense, but he us more capable of covering the quicker receivers. Gilmore is looking slow. I said before this defense lives on turnovers and sacks. If they don't get those, they struggle to get off the field.

The Cardinals did a great job running where Parsons would line up knowing he likes to move around when he rushes. He ran himself out of a few plays. But later in the game he started staying put and the run defense improved.

I think Dak was rushing the ball out today because they were afraid of the pass rush against the banged up OL. I think this was especially true in the goal to go situations.

Believe it or not, the Cowboys out-gained the Cardinals and they rushed for 185 yards themselves. This game really turned on one or two plays.

The Cowboys had 11 penalties in the first half (that were accepted. I believe at the half the Cardinals had only 2 or 3. When I see games called like that I get concerned the refs are not calling it the same against both teams. The flag that was licked up in the end zone should have been a penalty. The defender was not playing the ball and he made contact before the ball arrived. The offsides on the FG was another questionable call. The replay showed everyone was onsides and no one moved until the ball was snapped. Then there was the holding on Parsons in the end zone. That should have been a safety. I know people are saying that the hold started at about the one yard lines, but the rules allows that initial arm bar. It is a penalty if the blocker does not let go. The penalty should have been called in the end zone for a safety.

Overall, I think the Cowboys did themselves in and it is not one player or squad. Offense and defense failed when they need to succeed. The Giants were down 28-0 against the Cardinals and came back to win in the second half 31-28. The Cowboys could not do that.

This was an all around poor effort. Everything that could go wrong did go wrong. I don't think this is who the Cowboys are but we've seen this from them before.

And btw, when Dak threw the INT, which was an awful decision, the game was pretty much out of reach. He was rushed, the throw was rushed and it was just desperation at that point.