A Conservative's Take on the N.O. game

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Yes, it was New Orleans, a team that was on the bottom in defense last season and is likely to be there again, but the Cowboys have had a trend in recent years of making such teams look very competent and competitive, so this was indeed a step in the right direction.

Offense

QB...Bledsoe looked great...Romo looked better than I expected. While I don't give any credit to those who think Romo is our starter at any time in the next couple of years unless by injury, I am very happy with him as a backup...the season shouldn't be totally lost if Bledsoe goes down.

RB...I know JJ is the home run guy, and that sucker is exciting when he has one of his big games with good blocking, but it gets harder and harder not to like Barber a little better...the two of them should be adequate, though neither will cause DC's to spend much time gameplanning for them. Thompson broke more tackles than either of the others...I don't care if it was against the backups, the kid got the corner and ran like a man up the middle, shedding tacklers like a star...we have to keep him on the team...there's a slim slim chance that in another year or two he could surpass them both.

TE...what was expected, I guess...not at all impressed with Fasano, not at all...could be he's cursed by being taken in the 2nd round by Parcells.

OL...Gurode was a beast...our OL was actually getting a push for a change...Rivera is as advertised, finally...Columbo starts at RT. I was very impressed with McQuistran and Proctor. No one will like it, but I happen to think it is Pettitti who is on the bubble...unless he can become the #1 backup at both OT spots, I think he's a goner. McQuistran looks to be the superior pass blocker on the left side for sure.

WR...forget the trades...in my opinion, Hurd and Rector proved they can be in the mix and effective stand-ins when necessary...putting them with the #1 team to see how they did with a capable offense and QB was very telling last night. I can't see how any WR in the mold of the guy we bounced back in that last trade would be better than these two guys. Putting Rector at punt return in practice is obviously a step towards trying to keep him....T.O., Glenn, Crayton, Hurd, Rector...I'd be very satisfied with those 5. Time to cut Copper, sorry.

K...Suisham made his kicks, but they were all iffy....I really loved the clean 49 yarder by the rookie out of Cal...wouldn't surprise me if we have to start the season with Vanderjack on the sidelines...it will take a miracle for him to be ready, imo.

Defense

What's to say...first team looked great.
2nd team LBs looked pretty sorry...out of position and missing tackles on the little dumps over the middle.

Parcells may not go this route, but I think if the front 7 is as good as we think it is, teams won't be running much...I think Watkins has to start at FS.

Skylar Green looked very solid to me...like some, I was frustrated with no return room, but that's not his fault...he handled every catch flawlessly, and he showed some brilliant elusiveness on the one punt where he had some room, making at least 3 guys miss...that's enough for me. He stays, Copper goes...someone else will have to move to the punt team...Watkins could easily fill that void.

Biggest Surprise...2 preseason games left, but it wouldn't shock me if Pettitti gets cut in favor of Adams, Colombo, McQuistran at OT, knowing that in a real bind we could also play Kosier at OT. Everyone loves Pettitti, but I think the rookie is a better athlete with better feet and is already a better pass protector.

Nav22

Reaction score
Everyone loves Pettitti
Not me. Led the league in sacks allowed as a rookie, and now he seemingly hasn't improved enough since then to be a strong competitor for the starting RT job... even though he is the incumbent, and he's not exactly battling it out with Orlando Pace and Walter Jones for the job.

He ain't no friend of mine.

conner01

Reaction score
good stuff. i think rob makes it because i think we will carry 4 ot's

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
wayne_motley said:
Yes, it was New Orleans, a team that was on the bottom in defense last season and is likely to be there again, but the Cowboys have had a trend in recent years of making such teams look very competent and competitive, so this was indeed a step in the right direction.

Offense

QB...Bledsoe looked great...Romo looked better than I expected. While I don't give any credit to those who think Romo is our starter at any time in the next couple of years unless by injury, I am very happy with him as a backup...the season shouldn't be totally lost if Bledsoe goes down.

RB...I know JJ is the home run guy, and that sucker is exciting when he has one of his big games with good blocking, but it gets harder and harder not to like Barber a little better...the two of them should be adequate, though neither will cause DC's to spend much time gameplanning for them. Thompson broke more tackles than either of the others...I don't care if it was against the backups, the kid got the corner and ran like a man up the middle, shedding tacklers like a star...we have to keep him on the team...there's a slim slim chance that in another year or two he could surpass them both.

TE...what was expected, I guess...not at all impressed with Fasano, not at all...could be he's cursed by being taken in the 2nd round by Parcells.

OL...Gurode was a beast...our OL was actually getting a push for a change...Rivera is as advertised, finally...Columbo starts at RT. I was very impressed with McQuistran and Proctor. No one will like it, but I happen to think it is Pettitti who is on the bubble...unless he can become the #1 backup at both OT spots, I think he's a goner. McQuistran looks to be the superior pass blocker on the left side for sure.

WR...forget the trades...in my opinion, Hurd and Rector proved they can be in the mix and effective stand-ins when necessary...putting them with the #1 team to see how they did with a capable offense and QB was very telling last night. I can't see how any WR in the mold of the guy we bounced back in that last trade would be better than these two guys. Putting Rector at punt return in practice is obviously a step towards trying to keep him....T.O., Glenn, Crayton, Hurd, Rector...I'd be very satisfied with those 5. Time to cut Copper, sorry.

K...Suisham made his kicks, but they were all iffy....I really loved the clean 49 yarder by the rookie out of Cal...wouldn't surprise me if we have to start the season with Vanderjack on the sidelines...it will take a miracle for him to be ready, imo.

Defense

2nd team LBs looked pretty sorry...out of position and missing tackles on the little dumps over the middle.

Parcells may not go this route, but I think if the front 7 is as good as we think it is, teams won't be running much...I think Watkins has to start at FS.

Skylar Green looked very solid to me...like some, I was frustrated with no return room, but that's not his fault...he handled every catch flawlessly, and he showed some brilliant elusiveness on the one punt where he had some room, making at least 3 guys miss...that's enough for me. He stays, Copper goes...someone else will have to move to the punt team...Watkins could easily fill that void.

Biggest Surprise...2 preseason games left, but it wouldn't shock me if Pettitti gets cut in favor of Adams, Colombo, McQuistran at OT, knowing that in a real bind we could also play Kosier at OT. Everyone loves Pettitti, but I think the rookie is a better athlete with better feet and is already a better pass protector.

Not that it matters all that much but his last name is McQuistan. And, it's Petitti.

I do agree, however, that Petitti is in a precarious situation and needs to show the constistency that Parcells is looking for if he expects to make the team. So far, he is competing against experience (Fabini) and potential (Columbo) and looks to be falling short. I hope he can turn it around.

aikemirv

Reaction score
The Realist said:
Did you mean beast or bust when you mentioned Gurode?

There was one running play around the 15 yard line where Gurode completely let the lineman go and went directly downfield to block the LB. The lineman just missed Jones as I believe somebody came by and just clipped him.

I would have to believe that the Dlineman was his 1st responsibility and he blew it.

Am I wrong?

The Realist

Reaction score
aikemirv said:
There was one running play around the 15 yard line where Gurode completely let the lineman go and went directly downfield to block the LB. The lineman just missed Jones as I believe somebody came by and just clipped him.

I would have to believe that the Dlineman was his 1st responsibility and he blew it.

Am I wrong?

Yeah, but look how big and strong he is.

He's a beastht.

Bledsoe was supposed to block that guy:lmao: :lmao2:

NorthDalal

Reaction score
Zimmy Lives said:
Not that it matters all that much but his last name is McQuistan. And, it's Petitti.

I do agree, however, that Petitti is in a precarious situation and needs to show the constistency that Parcells is looking for if he expects to make the team. So far, he is competing against experience (Fabini) and potential (Columbo) and looks to be falling short. I hope he can turn it around.

I tend to disagree on one point though. I thought McQuistan stunk it up. When Flozell went out the running game ground to a halt until NO's 3rd string was in.

I also am a little concerned about Fasano's blocking but if we're going to go to the 2 TE base offense there is no spot for 4 TEs and a fullback. Especially if Hurd makes the active roster.

I also do not give Skyler Green much credit for cleanly handling punts w/o a decent runback. I think the last cut list will have a KO/punt ret guy on them in September and Skyler will not be a Cowboy.I think the negated trade this week was a threat to Green's spot not Sam Hurd's.

aikemirv

Reaction score
NorthDalal said:
I tend to disagree on one point though. I thought McQuistan stunk it up. When Flozell went out the running game ground to a halt until NO's 3rd string was in.

I also am a little concerned about Fasano's blocking but if we're going to go to the 2 TE base offense there is no spot for 4 TEs and a fullback. Especially if Hurd makes the active roster.

I also do not give Skyler Green much credit for cleanly handling punts w/o a decent runback. I think the last cut list will have a KO/punt ret guy on them in September and Skyler will not be a Cowboy.I think the negated trade this week was a threat to Green's spot not Sam Hurd's.

I think McQuistan stunk it up too. Saying Will Smith only beat him once or twice is like saying it is ok to give up 1 or 2 sacks a game and a couple of lost yardage running plays.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
aikemirv said:
I think McQuistan stunk it up too. Saying Will Smith only beat him once or twice is like saying it is ok to give up 1 or 2 sacks a game and a couple of lost yardage running plays.

McQuistan was beaten three times on inside moves. He handled everything to the outside. He has to learn to be ready for his guy to go either direction.

Big D

Reaction score
aikemirv said:

Pettiti will make the team because McQ is simply not ready. I also think our starting TE's will be Witten and Hannam. Fasano might end up being the 4th TE option until he gets more comfortable.

p1_

Reaction score
wayne_motley said:

Offense

Defense

It's McQuistan, not McQuistran, by the way.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
GoCowboysGo said:
...what does "conservative" have to do with the post?
Conservative as in "I am sometimes called 'negative' when really I have a very conservative view regarding the Cowboys...I think we'll struggle to make the playoffs, and we'll really have to hit on all cylinders on offense while the defense plays up to expectations for a full 4 quarters to do so." Has nothing to do with politics...I'm sure those who know me on the forum understood what it meant...sorry for the confusion.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
The Realist said:
Did you mean beast or bust when you mentioned Gurode?
at OG, I would have meant bust, but last night at center, I think he was a beast who is very likely to hold onto the starting job unless Johnson can buck up and push people off the line. I know making the calls is a big part of it, but making the right calls doesn't help much if you get continually pushed back into the backfield like last year.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Zimmy Lives said:

I could be an @$$ and say "it's consistency" but I won't...lol...just joking...I actually used to bring up the homepage and roster to make sure I had the spelling of names correct, but I just don't give a crap anymore.

burmafrd

Reaction score
I think once BP finally decides on his 5 starters and makes them work together the O line will be good enough. I hope.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:
McQuistan was beaten three times on inside moves. He handled everything to the outside. He has to learn to be ready for his guy to go either direction.

There was one play where a Saint got by on the outside and tackled our RB from behind for a yd loss or no gain. On that play McQ lunged straight forward at the snap and didn't even try to slow up the outside guy.

Now that might have been what he was supposed to do: go downfield and block. I don't know what his responsibility was on the play. But I think he blew his assignment since the play was a run to the right.

On another topic: Does it seem to anyone else that we have some real slow-developing running plays? I can't count how many times there is at least one defender in the backfield by the time our RB gets the handoff. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see our D in the opposing backfield nearly as often as it happens to us. This could also be because of a leaky OL or teams selling out to stop us from running.