A Fullback's Training Regimen...

Angus

Reaction score
Q: Coach DeFranco,

I saw on elitefts.com you mentioned the fullback from UConn that you were training for the NFL Combine. Can you give us some insight on his training and how his diet is going? Is he this years Miles Austin? After hearing how you trained Miles at the Syracuse Strength Spectacular last year, it was really cool to watch him develop right in front of my eyes on TV! (I’m a huge Cowboys fan!!) I love your real world approach to training and I would love to get the inside scoop on this years NFL ‘project’.
Keep doing what you do coach. You are an inspiration.
Kyle
A: Kyle,
The UConn fullback that you’re referring to is this year’s resident freak, Deon Anderson. Mention this kid’s name to anyone who has ever played against him and you will see a look of fright come over them. Deon has to be the most respected, and feared, college football player that I have ever trained. Besides his football accolades, he has been a tremendous asset to my program. I’ve never had a kid bring more positive energy into my gym than Deon. His energy & intensity is contagious and every athlete in the gym feeds off of him. He has also turned out to be a great “student” and he’s picking up the techniques to the Combine tests very well. Here’s an update at how he’s progressed in just 2 short weeks…
deonanderson1.jpg

Deon’s electronic 10-yard sprint time has dropped from a 1.93 to a 1.77!

deonanderson2.jpg

Deon is pictured here finishing off his 2nd EASY rep with 585 lbs. in the
box squat!
*Deon has vertical jumped over 30 inches & he consistently broad jumps over 9’

*Deon has already added 2 reps to his 225 lb. bench press rep test

*Deon’s bodyweight has finally “stabilized” and we’re looking for him to show up at the NFL Combine at a JACKED & SHREDDED 238 lbs.!​

deonanderson3.jpg

Pictured above is our nutrition guru, Tom Bilella, educating Deon and some of our other NFL hopefuls on proper nutrition & supplementation.

http://defrancostraining.com/ask_joe/archives/ask_joe_07-01-26.htm

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I always love how we all moan and groan over a pick like Deon and then things like this come out after the draft and it makes me think they actually know what they are doing. This guy could turn into a big time player by the things I've read up on since the pick. Everyone wants to hear a familiar name called but I love getting guys like this. Its up to him now to develop into a player and have a good carreer!

BLT

Reaction score
Cowboys22;1482602 said:
I always love how we all moan and groan over a pick like Deon and then things like this come out after the draft and it makes me think they actually know what they are doing. This guy could turn into a big time player by the things I've read up on since the pick. Everyone wants to hear a familiar name called but I love getting guys like this. Its up to him now to develop into a player and have a good carreer!

really im thinking the opposite on how this guys body got him drafted... im going to be getting a lot of **** when this guy is our starting FB.... i know..

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Deon rates just below 70 in Pat Kirwan's strength and explosion formula, it's 65 or 66 I believe, not bad for a FB, which means he gets into his blocks quickly, he actually explodes into his blocks, hits the whole hard and gets into his routes quickly

Angus

Reaction score
Scouts Eye UConn NFL Hopefuls
Nine Players Try Out For Seven Teams

STORRS, Conn. -- With the NFL draft five weeks away, scouts from seven different teams took closer looks at nine Husky hopefuls Thursday.

University of Connecticut football players were eyed by scouts from NFL teams including the Patriots, Jets and Giants in Storrs.

The players worked out for the scouts in the weight room and were timed in a number of running drills.

"It's every little kids dream to play for their favorite team in the NFL," said UConn tailback Terry Caulley. "Right now I'm just trying to get my foot in the door, trying to get my feet wet and get my opportunity so I can make my dreams come true."

Channel 3 Eyewitness Sports reporter John Holt reported that while UConn doesn't have any sure-bet prospects for this year's draft, one player seemed to generate a lot of interest.

Holt reported that Rhode Island native fullback Deon Anderson seemed to catch the interest of several scouts, including from the Patriots.

"My whole family is up there and it would be really wonderful having them come to the games and rooting me on," Anderson said.

Players who aren't drafted on April 28 can sign as free agents with any team that may be interested in having them in its training camp.

http://www.wfsb.com/cbaska63/11332144/detail.html

Football: Pro Day In The Shenk

Prior to today's practice UConn held it's Pro Day for former players looking to impress the NFL scouts.

On hand to go through the motions were Matt Applebaum, Matt Nuzie, Deon Anderson, Allen Barnes, Ernest Cole, Terry Caulley, Dan Murray, Ray Blagman and Craig Berry.

Taking a look at the players were scouts from the New England Patriots, the New York Giants, the Philadelphia Eagles, the Carolina Panthers, the Buffalo Bills, the Indianapolis Colts and a lone scout from the Arena Football League.

Deon Anderson hasn't slowed down a bit. Anderson, who took part in the NFL combine last month in Indianapolis, was the biggest cheerleader for other players during the bench press, keeping everyone pumped up with his encouragement. How hyped was Deon, well, it seemed like it was his screaming that got Applebaum to put up that 34th press that he lifted. Applebaum's bench press showing was quite impressive to say the least.

By the way, congratulations go out to Deon and his wife Kerri, who are expecting their first child, a boy, in May. Deon and Kerri, who have been together since they were 15, got married in late December.

Anderson attended practice Tuesday but said it was difficult to stand on the sidelines and watch.

"I told the coaches, find me a helmet, I want to be out there," Anderson said. "I can't stand watching other people play football and not be out there hitting someone."

One more thing before we go, wide receiver Ellis Gaulden, who has suffered through torn ACL's in both legs over the last two years, was on crutches watching the pro day festivities. Gaulden sprained his right foot in practice on Tuesday. His prognosis is unclear at this point.

The best moment of practice on Thursday came when offensive guard Lawrence Green caught a tipped pass at the 5 yard line during a red zone drill. Green rumbled into the end zone with four players on his back. He got up, gave Edsall a big grunt of exhultation before slapping the coach on the rear end.

http://blogs.courant.com/sports_uconn/2007/03/football_pro_da.html

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Angus;1482611 said:
"I told the coaches, find me a helmet, I want to be out there," Anderson said. "I can't stand watching other people play football and not be out there hitting someone."

this is the kind of attitude you want to see from your FB, that or have him be a former LB

PullMyFinger

Old Fashioned
Reaction score
Ya I like this kid A LOT. Bye bye Polite and Hoyte (wish they could move him back to LB).

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Okay, let's take stock of this information and process it a little bit.

This kid was a 6th round pick. Right now I'd say he has a legitimate shot to end up being the starting FB on this team.

Nick Folk was also taken in the 6th round and if he shows promise on FGs from 40+ yards could beat out Martin Grammatica and he will obliterate him on kickoffs. Has a very real chance to make this team and be the kicker.

Courtney Brown and Alan Ball will both cost about $283,000 this year versus $850,000 for Reeves or Jones whom they are battling for roster spots. I truly believe Brown will be a starter some day for the Cowboys.

Doug Free is expected to compete for the LT job in a year or 2. Marten possibly for the LG job.

Stanback is seen as a bigger, faster version of Patrick Crayton and may push Miles and Thompson for KR duties.

Tell me again how Day 2 of this draft stunk. I need the laugh.

sago1

Reaction score
I think it entirely possible Cowboys wil move Hoyte back to LB & cut Polite if Anderson plays well. We often started rookie FBs (Polite) or players we moved to FB (Hoyte). Anderson is a real FB so--if he keeps his nose clean, works hard, doesn't get hurt & has the talent--the whole world will change for he and his family. Cowboys rookie camp is May 11-13. Wonder when in May his wife is due?

Must admit I wasn't excited about the Stanbach/Anderson/Folk/Ball draftings but have certainly come around on the first 3 but still question Ball who I still doubt makes the team--he is one skinny dud even more so then Pat Watkins. Can just imagine our trainers' reaction when they see Ball; they will probably make the salad bar off limits. Heard "salad bar" comment on DCFanatic.

ENGCowboy

Reaction score
Like the attitude that the Pats were interested means we are still looking in the right direction, you dont get a helluva lot of attention at FB so you need to be part of the team in other ways. Also love the fact he is married and expecting a kid, nothing will make you work harder than having to provide for a new family. Cant wait to see him bugging Phillips to be out there hitting more people although he may not be so inclined when hes gotta hit Canty or Spears out of the way! Bring on TC!!!!!

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
sago1;1483415 said:
I think it entirely possible Cowboys wil move Hoyte back to LB & cut Polite if Anderson plays well. We often started rookie FBs (Polite) or players we moved to FB (Hoyte). Anderson is a real FB so--if he keeps his nose clean, works hard, doesn't get hurt & has the talent--the whole world will change for he and his family. Cowboys rookie camp is May 11-13. Wonder when in May his wife is due?

Must admit I wasn't excited about the Stanbach/Anderson/Folk/Ball draftings but have certainly come around on the first 3 but still question Ball who I still doubt makes the team--he is one skinny dud even more so then Pat Watkins. Can just imagine our trainers' reaction when they see Ball; they will probably make the salad bar off limits. Heard "salad bar" comment on DCFanatic.
That was me.

BouncingCheese

Stay out of my Bidness
Reaction score
I hope M. Austin kept his workout regimen from working out with defranco, I saw his progress when he was training last year, this guy was a beast.

DC Cowboy

Reaction score
ENGCowboy;1483425 said:
Like the attitude that the Pats were interested means we are still looking in the right direction, you dont get a helluva lot of attention at FB so you need to be part of the team in other ways. Also love the fact he is married and expecting a kid, nothing will make you work harder than having to provide for a new family. Cant wait to see him bugging Phillips to be out there hitting more people although he may not be so inclined when hes gotta hit Canty or Spears out of the way! Bring on TC!!!!!

He did sound a little like Lorenzo Neal didn't he (wanting to hit someone) I totally agree with your "family" comment. doesn't sound like some young guy wanting money just to be flashy but have a "real" purpose for playing hard to support his family.

BouncingCheese

Stay out of my Bidness
Reaction score
I think Deon Anderson gets a bad rap; some of his convictions were not even his fault apparently, he was arrested once trying to BREAK UP a fight. He had little to no money so he couldn't afford to fight the charges... He also had to live in the old football locker rooms for a few months when he had to pay his own tuition. Because of his family, he is going to stay clean and work harder than ever.

Anderson is going to take the starting spot from Polite because he is so much more explosive. There may be guys stronger than him, but I think there are just certain guys who just "pop" harder than others. I hope he can learn to catch the ball.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Not to say anything against our pick, but I liked what Hoyte did last year... A lot. He's got the same nasty demeanor this guy is supposed to have.

Yes, Hoyte wore down, but he did amazingly well for someone thrown into a new position and only really having weeks to learn it and train for it. I wouldn't write him off yet.

Polite, on the other hand, screams spare IMO.

BouncingCheese

Stay out of my Bidness
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1483715 said:
Not to say anything against our pick, but I liked what Hoyte did last year... A lot. He's got the same nasty demeanor this guy is supposed to have.

Yes, Hoyte wore down, but he did amazingly well for someone thrown into a new position and only really having weeks to learn it and train for it. I wouldn't write him off yet.

Polite, on the other hand, screams spare IMO.

Agreed, but I don't know if the staff is really thinking about Hoyte as the answer long term, which is why I didn't include him. Anderson is faster than Hoyte/more explosive though, and if he can learn to catch, he will have an upper hand on both of them; it would be nice if we could have a setback, ANY back, to keep defenses honest and be concerned about the backfield pass.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Hostile;1483411 said:
Okay, let's take stock of this information and process it a little bit.

This kid was a 6th round pick. Right now I'd say he has a legitimate shot to end up being the starting FB on this team.

Nick Folk was also taken in the 6th round and if he shows promise on FGs from 40+ yards could beat out Martin Grammatica and he will obliterate him on kickoffs. Has a very real chance to make this team and be the kicker.

Courtney Brown and Alan Ball will both cost about $283,000 this year versus $850,000 for Reeves or Jones whom they are battling for roster spots. I truly believe Brown will be a starter some day for the Cowboys.

Doug Free is expected to compete for the LT job in a year or 2. Marten possibly for the LG job.

Stanback is seen as a bigger, faster version of Patrick Crayton and may push Miles and Thompson for KR duties.

Tell me again how Day 2 of this draft stunk. I need the laugh.

I will be able to tell you better this time next year......but, I do like it on paper

As I look back at our 06 draft.......I was excited about it also, however, look at it now and get me excited. :bang2: