News: A good backdrop to directions at quarterback

CCBoy

Reaction score
QUESTION 2: After the disaster that happened last year when Tony Romo went down, why haven't the Cowboys done anything at the backup quarterback position?

The Cowboys have a plan. That plan includes some choices in free agency, the draft, and possibly trading for someone on another team. Nothing materialized in free agency. And when you look at the selections to choose from, it's not surprising that free agency couldn't solve this problem. Dallas wasn't going to spend big money for a backup. I mean, who does that? (Answer: Philadelphia) And once all the overpriced quarterbacks were gone, they were left with a bunch of players who aren't any better than Kellen Moore.

The next chapter in the QB search becomes the draft. And within that chapter are several different ways to go. Despite what Jerry Jones is telling everyone, the Cowboys could have either Carson Wentz or Jared Goff targeted at four. Or maybe they have some later round options in mind. It would be very surprising to me if the Cowboys did not draft a quarterback within the first four rounds.

But even that is no certainty. Sometimes, if you want something you have to go out and get it. Don't be surprised if the Cowboys give up some draft stock to pluck a quarterback off someone else's roster. They did that with Matt Cassel last year. Of course, they might consider spending a little more this time around.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2016...ut-on-patrick-robinson-is-not-a-bad-thing-for

CCBoy

Reaction score
Just going on a salary approach for a backup QB, would Dallas give up $4 million a year on a rookie contract for a backup QB, when Matt Moore resigned with Miami for what he signed, $2.25 million?

Dallas Cowboys: The Cowboys have about $6.5 million in cap room. They will need more to sign their rookie class, and can create room by either cutting or re-working the deal of cornerback Brandon Carr or restructuring other contracts -- although they do not want to touch the contracts of Tony Romo or Dez Bryant. The Cowboys will need a good chunk of space for their draft picks. The Cowboys have taken a low-cost approach to free agency, because they believe the draft is the best, and most cost-effective way to improve the team. They were not going to overpay for free agents, and Cedric Thornton (four years, $17 million) is their largest deal to date. They are signing players at their prices, not the player’s price. It’s more important for them to have space in the future to spend on players like Travis Frederick, Zack Martin and DeMarcus Lawrence. The draft gives them a chance to do that. -- Todd Archer

http://espn.go.com/blog/san-diego-c...wboys-take-a-low-cost-approach-to-free-agency

Last edited:

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Just going on a salary approach for a backup QB, would Dallas give up $4 million a year on a rookie contract for a backup QB, when Matt Moore resigned with Miami for what he signed, $2.25 million?

Dallas Cowboys: The Cowboys have about $6.5 million in cap room. They will need more to sign their rookie class, and can create room by either cutting or re-working the deal of cornerback Brandon Carr or restructuring other contracts -- although they do not want to touch the contracts of Tony Romo or Dez Bryant. The Cowboys will need a good chunk of space for their draft picks. The Cowboys have taken a low-cost approach to free agency, because they believe the draft is the best, and most cost-effective way to improve the team. They were not going to overpay for free agents, and Cedric Thornton (four years, $17 million) is their largest deal to date. They are signing players at their prices, not the player’s price. It’s more important for them to have space in the future to spend on players like Travis Frederick, Zack Martin and DeMarcus Lawrence. The draft gives them a chance to do that. -- Todd Archer
http://espn.go.com/blog/san-diego-c...wboys-take-a-low-cost-approach-to-free-agency

Yes because that #4 pick is your future franchise QB

Matt Moore is not

CCBoy

Reaction score
Backup = backup

cashflow = cashflow

backup QB = starter on current roster?

Final question, how many starters at QB will be available next season or the following, and their cap costs in addition to what will be owed to Tony Romo?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Backup = backup

cashflow = cashflow

backup QB = starter on current roster?

Final question, how many starters at QB will be available next season or the following, and their cap costs in addition to what will be owed to Tony Romo?

#4 pick = QB of the future.

Using short term financials in debating the face of your franchise over the next 15 years is trivial

CCBoy

Reaction score
#4 pick = QB of the future.

Using short term financials in debating the face of your franchise over the next 15 years is trivial

Trivial? Not hardly...as to content, discuss it. It's not a subject that attaches to a sounding board to show one's own attitude...

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Trivial? Not hardly...as to content, discuss it. It's not a subject that attaches to a sounding board to show one's own attitude...

Paying top 5 money a backup QB in the short term os trivial considering the long term investment.

The draft is about the future. Not 2016. If your 2016 first rounder doesnt take a snap in 2016 but goes on to have a very long career, the limited 2016 returns on that investment are trivial

CCBoy

Reaction score
Paying top 5 money a backup QB in the short term os trivial considering the long term investment.

The draft is about the future. Not 2016. If your 2016 first rounder doesnt take a snap in 2016 but goes on to have a very long career, the limited 2016 returns on that investment are trivial

Take that into the real world, and tell your current landlord not to evict because you have a great 401 plan...yea right.

Now, start paying for that offensive line that you have just up and ignored, twice now...

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Take that into the real world, and tell your current landlord not to evict because you have a great 401 plan...yea right.

Now, start paying for that offensive line that you have just up and ignored, twice now...

My bank isnt drafting a this year flr the Cowboys

You have no problems paying your offensive line by the time you have to look at giving your QB a 2nd contract. By the time Martin is a free agent in 2019 Romo gone since even if he plays his contract is up in 2019

CCBoy

Reaction score
My bank isnt drafting a this year flr the Cowboys

You have no problems paying your offensive line by the time you have to look at giving your QB a 2nd contract. By the time Martin is a free agent in 2019 Romo gone since even if he plays his contract is up in 2019

Otay okie...

now just explain to the wife why you guys are moving into government housing; because your dream home burned; and your new Porche caused you to discontinue paying for insurance. Yea, that QB is quite a piece by itself...

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Otay okie...

now just explain to the wife why you guys are moving into government housing; because your dream home burned; and your new Porche caused you to discontinue paying for insurance. Yea, that QB is quite a piece by itself...

Won't have to because my finances are well covered. Just like the Cowboys finances will be well covered when they have a starting QB on a rookie deal when the time comes to extend Martin and Collins. Since Martins deal ends the same season Romos does

CCBoy

Reaction score
Won't have to because my finances are well covered. Just like the Cowboys finances will be well covered when they have a starting QB on a rookie deal when the time comes to extend Martin and Collins. Since Martins deal ends the same season Romos does

Sorry, arrogance doesn't substitute for proving your case. Tossing around unproven personal declarations, doesn't approach principals discussed. You don't even try to discuss topic presented...so, carry on with your own abstracts, that don't cross apply to sport, but with someone else.

You stay on ignore this time...

DFWJC

Reaction score

It's slightly diminished, but true, not relative to long term value.

Some would ask what if said player only takes a few snaps for 3 years? 4 years?
That's more the issue at Dallas...or at least the mind-set of the FO
And then there's the extremely real possibility that the player is a bust after all that.

I'm for taking one though if they love the player.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Sorry, arrogance doesn't substitute for proving your case. Tossing around unproven personal declarations, doesn't approach principals discussed. You don't even try to discuss topic presented...so, carry on with your own abstracts, that don't cross apply to sport, but with someone else.

You stay on ignore this time...

You were the that used the abrstact refering my my " landord".

I made a clear point directly referencing the Cowboys that yiu chose to ignore, instead focusing on my " abstract" that YOU clearly started. All the while you never once made any attempt at debate the relevent Cowboy facts presented.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It's slightly diminished, but true, not relative to long term value.

Some would ask what if said player only takes a few snaps for 3 years? 4 years?
That's more the issue at Dallas...or at least the mind-set of the FO
And then there's the extremely real possibility that the player is a bust after all that.

I'm for taking one though if they love the player.

I subscribe to Strums belief that a pick in the top 5 has to be looked at as a 3 contract type guy. I thought that was a very sound thought on his part. Draft picks are future, if you go back and look at the production of high draft picks on defense you will see guys like Aldon Smith are very much the outlier. Cherry picking, but JJ Watt and Khalil Mack, probably the two best defensive players in the NFL combined for 9 whopping sacks as a rookie. Byron Jones s a good barometer of the type impact we get from a rookie defender. Not to say thats insignificant in the least

However Khalil Mack and JJ Watt both reached DMVP level status within their rookie deals. And both are players that there teams can build around for a decade.

In this draft, with our pick I believe we have 3 alternatives ( excluding trades) thats a QB, DT, DE and CB. Those are prime long-term positions. Personal prefense would be to put CB down the line since alot of the success of a CB depends on the front 4, but still a Jalen Ramsey if he plays up to his draft status would be a Cowboy for 12+ years. And I agree wholly with Strum that that is your aim with that type of pick

Verdict

Reaction score
If Tunsil is worthy of the pick and is the only sure thing left at #43 you take him too. Tackle is also a high value position. But keep in mind they have to be also BPA.