A Hypothetical 2005 Dallas Cowboys Season w/Mike Vanderjagt

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
So ya think kickers matter? I know it's impossible to predict exactly how a game would have unfolded with different scores, but here is a fun scenario.

Imagine that Vanderjagt was the kicker last year. Assume he kicked with his career averages at various distances:

1 to 19 yarders: 6 of 6 (100%)
20 to 29 yarders: 70 of 72 (97%)
30 to 39 yarders: 62 of 68 (91%)
40 to 49 yarders: 65 of 81 (80%)
50+ yarders: 14 of 21 (67%)

Vanderjagt has a 99.4% completion rate on extra points so we will also assume that he makes all of these after every touchdown. We're also going to assume Parcells kicked FGs just like he did with last year's kickers although it's obvious he'd have a lot more faith in the kicking game with Vanderjagt starting. Basically, treat this like your annoying college economics professor. ("Assume we have equal distances, equal demand, equal supply, an equal proportion of Buddhist left-handers that live in 2-story houses, etc...")

We'll use this convenient website (http://www.mdani.demon.co.uk/para/random.htm) to randomly generate a number from 1 to 100 and as long as the result is within Vanderjagt's career average, in this hypothetical 2005 scenario, the field goal is GOOD!

For any of you folks who think the Cowboys aren't contenders, if you attempt to read this long whopper of a post, you'll find that it's amazing what could have happened in 2005 with just one meager position change. So here we go, 2005 with Mike "Vanderdrunk" as our kicker. Anticipation is high! :D

Week 1 @ San Diego Chargers

The Cowboys don't attempt a single field goal, Bledsoe starts out on fire, and Vanderjagt makes all 4 XP attempts. Just like in real life, the Cowboys win 28-24. They are now 1-0.

Week 2 Washington Commanders

Vandy attempts a 41 yard FG in the 1st quarter, one that was originally missed by Jose Cortez. And the attempt is... GOOD! In the 2nd quarter, in a hard fought defensive battle, Vandy lands a 33 yarder just like his counterpart did in the real 2005 season. Bledsoe completes that awesome 70 yard flea flicker to Terry Glenn and then Vandy nails a 41 yard FG that Cortez also managed to hit. Cortez and Vandy have similar performances but the big difference is the score is now 16-0 instead of 13-0 as the Skins begin their fabled MNF comeback with 5:51 on the clock. Brunell completes to Santana Moss with 3:55 left but with the lead 16 points this time instead of 13, Gibbs knows that he has to go for the 2 points. Since the NFL average success rate for 2-point conversions is 43% (at least the most recent one I could find), we'll roll the random number generator with that number as the target. Doh! Gibbs makes it. Not long after this, the Commanders once again complete another Sportscenter highlight to Santana Moss and Gibbs is forced to go for the 2 points again with barely 2 minutes on the clock. And the play is stopped!! Momentum instantly shifts! The Cowboys still have to run out the clock, and the Skins can threaten with a FG, but we're going to assume God looks down upon the Cowboys today, and they win a close one 16-14. Their record is now 2-0.

Week 3 @ San Francisco 49ers

Not only does Dallas not attempt a FG, but the "Larry Allen shaking Jose Cortez like a human bobblehead" episode never occurs since Vandy doesn't miss his XP. Plus, with one more point, the game never becomes as close as it did in real life when the 49ers tried to get within field goal range to tie the game and were only stopped when Dat Nguyen had a game winning interception. Final score 35-31. The Cowboys are rolling at 3-0!

Week 4 @ Oakland Raiders

In a game in which the Cowboys were always playing catchup, Vandy easily succeeds with both FGs that Cortez also managed to make, but is never given another chance as the game rides on Bledsoe's shoulders in the final seconds, and he throws incomplete to Terry Glenn thus starting the first "sky is falling" panic at the Zone as angry posters adamantly state which receivers were open on the same play. However, the Cowboys still look good at 3-1.

Week 5 Philadelphia Eagles

It really doesn't matter what Vandy does this day as the Cowboys finally "open up the offense" and Bledsoe is on fire! The Cowboys stomp the Eagles and Vandy is 4/4 on field goals, just like Cortez was that day, with his longest one a 45 yarder. Jerry tells Bill that maybe they should have followed Jerry's advice and not spent big on a kicker since like those great 90's teams, the weapons on offense and defense are too much for other teams to handle. The Cowboys are 4-1 and fans are happy because the Giants threaten the NFC East lead at 3-1.

Week 6 N.Y. Giants

This is it... the game that really shows what Vandy can do! While the Cowboys won this game in 2005 with Cortez kicking 3 of 5 field goals, he only managed 1 of 3 from the 40 to 49 yard range, and it really exposed some of his weaknesses. This is where Bill can rub it into Jerry. The game starts with some ugly Cowboys turnovers but they manage to slip in a 7-6 lead in the 2nd quarter in part because of some ugly Giants play as well. When Vandy steps up the plate to attempt a 49 yard field goal that Cortez had blocked, he MISSES!!! No good, no good! The game is still too close for comfort. In the 3rd quarter though, Vandy makes up for his mistake by blasting a 48 yarder that Cortez missed, and also hits some easy 29 and 28 yarders in the 4th giving the Cowboys a 16-6 lead and more confidence. (Cortez hit the 29 and 28 yarders in 2005.) Eli Manning completes his infamous TD pass to Jeremy Shockey leaving some Cowboys fans wondering what is wrong with Mike Zimmer, but in this scenario, even with a successful 2-point conversion, it only trims the lead to 16-14, and with 25 seconds left, the Giants never get to try for an OT win. The Giants attempt a desperate onsides kick, the Cowboys recover, and Dallas wins just like it did in the real 2005 season. The Cowboys are climbing power rankings everywhere with a 5-1 record!!

Week 7 @ Seattle Seahawks

With Vanderjagt on the roster, the Cowboys attempt to re-write history and stop the famous Seattle winning streak that led all the way to the Super Bowl. Flash forward to the 4th quarter..... it's been a slug fest so far. The Cowboys narrowly lead 7 to 3 in part because of Seattle's strong offense facing a Dallas defense that hits and hits hard! With 13:16 left in the game, Vandy lines up for a 29 yard gimme field goal. It's a FG that Cortez missed but Bill is now laughing at Jerry for thinking kickers don't matter! The ball is snapped, it has the distance, and it is.... GOOD! The Cowboys have a 10-3 lead! With 2:08 left in the game, Vandy is called on again to help a slumping Cowboys offense. He easily hits the 21 yard field goal, just like Cortez did, but in the Vanderjagt scenario, Dallas is now winning 13-3 instead of 10-3 as Seattle revs up its two minute offense. Matt Hasselbeck hits future Cowboy TE Ryan Hannam with 46 seconds left and Seattle also completes a 2-point conversion. However, the Cowboys are STILL WINNING 13-11, and Drew Bledsoe is never called upon to throw the ball. Assuming the Seahawks don't recover an onsides kick, the famous interception by Bledsoe is never thrown, the Cowboys run out the clock, and suddenly, Dallas is the media's darling with a 6-1 record!

Week 8 Arizona Cardinals

The term "Cardiac Cowboys" has yet to be brought up because while Dallas had some close ones, efficient field goal kicking has left them with enough comfortable game winning situations in the final minutes, and in the hypothetical 2005 season, Jose Cortez is never dropped for Shaun Suishaum in week eight. Vandy strikes efficiently with both 21 yarders just like his real life counterpart did, but in a 34-13 thrashing, the kicker is not an integral part as Dallas wraps up the first half of the season, and enters its bye week with a 7-1 record!

FIRST HALF WRAP-UP

The Skins are 3-4, the Eagles 4-3, and the Giants 5-2 but with an amazing first half record of 7-1, ESPN is predicting Dallas as the NFC Super Bowl favorite! There are calls for Drew Bledsoe as the MVP of 2005, because his amazing first half stats look even better with a 7-1 record as opposed to the 5-3 record the Cowboys had without Vanderjagt.

With Vandy on the roster instead of Cortez, three games that required Drew Bledsoe to be Joe Montana in the final two minuts or OT (Washington, N.Y. Giants, Seattle) are never needed. These games test the coaching staff and the running game instead of Bledsoe, as most of them can easily be won by preventing the other team from recovering a lucky onsides kick, or spending a few extra seconds running the ball. Worse case scenario, the Cowboys would probably be 6-2 instead of their 5-3 record with Cortez, but they have a great chance to be 7-1.

..... to be continued

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
....continued

Week 10 @ Philadelphia Eagles

Mike Vanderjagt gets to savor the bench as much as Shaun Suisham did in the real 2005 season because even with a dependable kicker in the fold, the Cowboys never get realistically close to a FG on 4th down, and the game is once again won by Roy Williams' heroics. Cowboys record is now 8-1 and the Eagles are also done for in Vandy's hypothetical 2005 season. :starspin

Week 11 Detroit Lions

Billy Cundiff's return is non-existent in this fictional season because Vanderjagt makes both the 19 yarder and long 56 yarder that Cundiff made in his 2 for 2 return. The 56 yarder is nowhere near the story it was in the real 2005 as fans are very happy with the kicking situation in Big D. Just like the real game, the Cowboys easily destroy the Lions 20-7 but are now almost guaranteed a Playoff spot with a 9-1 record!

Week 12 Denver Broncos

This is where the collapse started... a battle of two similar-styled teams hoping to be forces in the postseason. This is where the Broncos went on to success and the Cowboys went on to failure. Just like the original game, the score is tied 21-21 with 7:46 left on the clock. The Dallas kicker is called upon to give the Cowboys a 3 point lead. It's a 34 yard attempt. There are easier distances, but this is still a FG that any established kicker should make. In the real game, Cundiff missed and the game stayed tied and the Broncos won in OT with thanks in large part to a heartbreaking long run by Ron Dayne. In THIS game, Vanderjagt can change history. Unfortunately, the author's beer saturated memory in order to cope with a typical "Cardiac Cowboys" game prevents him from remembering if this was the game that might have had a questionable snap issue. So assuming Vandy can still make the kick, Romo takes the snap, the ball launches.... and it's.......... PERFECT!! With a 91% success rate at these distances, this is nothing for Vandy, the Cowboys take a 24-21 lead, and just like the real game, the defense steps up big time and prevents the Broncos from scoring, giving the Cowboys a win this time, instead of an OT showdown. The Cowboys are 10-1!!

Week 13 @ New York Giants

Still riding a tribute to deceased owner Wellington Mara, the Giants have a field day with the Cowboys crumbling offensive line. Vandy is only called on to kick one field goal and like Cundiff, he makes the 34 yarder. The fans are disappointed and worried about the quickly deteriorating line, but at 10-2, it's hard to argue against Parcells.

Week 14 Kansas City Chiefs

It's a game that only requires one field goal attempt and like Cundiff, Vandy easily makes his 30+ yarder. But this is where Parcells started losing confidence in his kickers. One wonders if the Cowboys would have have attempted the 53 yarder in the 4th quarter instead of going for the Billy Cundiff pooch kick. Whatever the case, the Cowboys still narrowly win this one, in large part due to Bledsoe and Glenn's heroics, and a Kansas City field goal kicker who made Dallas fans forget their own kicking woes for just one week last season. ;) The Cowboys are 11-2 and the only debate now is can they win home field advantage? Their only threats are the Giants, Buccs, Panthers and Bears at 9-4, and the Seahawks at 10-3 now thanks to a revised game in which the Cowboys won.

Week 15 @ Washington Commanders

While it was the only game in 2005 that the Cowboys didn't have a chance in hell, keep in mind that the only opportunity to gain the momentum back was lost because of the kicker. At the end of the first quarter, Cundiff had a chance to make a 38 yarder and trim the lead to 7-3. Instead, he missed it, and the Cowboys continued to collapse and lose 7-35 to the Skins. In the "Vanderjagt 2005 season," going with the random number generator, the field goal is good. Vandy is money at that distance with a 91% success ratio. Furthermore, you have to figure the Cowboys would have a lot more confidence with an 11-2 record (10-3 at worse), and not having suffered back-to-back demoralizing defeats. There's also the famous story about Gibbs telling his team they had to close the season with a certain amount of wins that maybe never would have happened if Washington had lost its first game to the Cowboys, which probably would have occured with a better Cowboys kicker. Whatever the case, we'll give this one to the Skins and knock the Vandy Cowboys down to 11-3. Home field advantage is still a safe bet. The Bears, Panthers and Giants are 10-4, Seahawks 11-3, and best yet, the Skins are only 7-7 because of the loss to the Cowboys in their first matchup.

Week 16 @ Carolina Panthers

In the Vandy scenario, we will assume that Cundiff's only missed field goal (32 yarder in 2nd quarter) is also missed by Vanderjagt since it was blocked. This game was on the entire special teams unit as much as it was the kicker. The key question in this game is with Vandy, would we still witness the same 4th quarter missed field goal that was reversed with a roughing the kicker call? And was Cundiff such a lousy kicker, that he kicked the ball right through Peppers and Lucas arms? :D Vandy is an experienced vet. We can reasonably guess he would put on his own Oscar winning performance when the defenders broke through. If Vandy had made the kick, the Cowboys would have tied and gone into OT instead of winning it with a TD. It's hard to guess what would have happened. Since this is a Cowboys fairy tale, I'm giving the eventual win to the Cowboys. :D The Cowboys improve to 12-3, but admittedly, if last minute efforts went awry in some of these games that Vandy completed field goals that other kickers missed, the season could be 10-5.

Week 17 St. Louis Rams

The Cowboys lost 20-10 and the return of Shaun Suisham didn't matter because he only missed one field goal. But imagine that the Cowboys didn't hear the deflating news of a Playoffs exit only seconds before kickoff, don't you think they could have managed just one more TD, or maybe limited the Rams by one more TD? And with a successful Vandy FG, maybe, just maybe, that could have been a win? Yeah, me too. I'm giving this one to the Boys. 13-3 and home field advantage in the Playoffs baby! :D

SEASON RECAP

So since Seattle and Washington all lost their games in a Vanderjagt season, the final Playoff picture is Dallas and Seattle with bye weeks, but Dallas having home field advantage throughout. The Giants, Buccs, and Panthers are all Playoff participants. The Skins and Vikings at 9-7 will need to go through the tie-breaker scenarios to see who gets a Playoff spot, and because I've already written so much, I don't feel like finding out who won, but let's hope the Skins get knocked out! :)

With an established kicker last year, the best case scenario is a 13-3 finish, and worse case scenario is probably close to 11-5. Even 11-5 is good enough to compete for the first round bye, but it's unlikely they would win the tiebreakers. (If anyone wants to find out, feel free to do the math. :D )

And there ya go.... the 2005 season with that kicking fool from Canada! All hail Vanderdrunk!

:bow:
mikeVanderjagt.jpg
:bow:

InDakWeTrust

DezBRomo9
Reaction score
I love this kind of speculation....Cant wait to see the second half (and the playoffs)...

aznhalf

Reaction score
Haha, that was very fun to read. Thanks for putting it together.

Good things for next season!

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
So, what about the postseason? Feel free to assume the Commanders didn't make it.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
lurkercowboy said:
So, what about the postseason? Feel free to assume the Commanders didn't make it.
:laugh2:

All I can say is that I think we match up pretty well with the two teams in last year's NFC Championship. ;)

NorTex

Reaction score
Boy, that was fun and painful at the same time.

Just by adding the best kicker in the history of the NFL, the Cowboys have improved dramatically.

Oh ya, and adding Owens might help too...LOL

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
It is amazing to think that that could have really happened. To think we could have been 13-3 or 12-4 with two turnstiles at Tackle is unbelievable.:eek:

Canadian BoyzFan

Reaction score
I understand what the original poster is going for here. However, I am just not a fan of making a statement that we would have gone 13-3 with a better kicker. It's not realistic...imo.

I think at best it would have been a 1-2 game difference. (Best case scenario). Moving our record to 11-5.

Let's just move ahead knowing we are better now than we were last year.

superpunk

Reaction score
Excellent read, TruBlue...I was thinking of doing the same. You've saved me some valuable time, that I can now waste in some other manner, at work. Gratzi....

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
I don't know about you guys but I can't wait another minute for the 06 season. tick, tick, tick, tick. AAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

burmafrd

Reaction score
Realistically we can see 2 games that really turned on missed kicks. BUT the game against the Rams is one that is really up for debate since we were out of the playoffs. 11-5 /12-4 is certainly possible. Though in the end it would not have made any difference because with the line in the shape it was we lose in the playoffs sometime.

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
The only thing with "what if" scenarios is that the ball could have easily bounced the other way in some of our wins:

We beat San Diego 28-24 in week one, but what if Drew Brees on our seven yard line and 37 seconds left throws a TD instead of an INT?

In week three we beat the 49ers 34-31, but what if Tim Rattay moves them 30 yards from their own 37 yard line with one minute left for a game tying field goal and pushes it into OT?

In week six against the Giants, what if we don't get the ball first in OT or Bledsoe throws one of his game-killing INTs?

And in the second half of the season we could have easily lost against the Eagles and Chiefs if it wasn't for gaffs by their own players. That's two more wins we snuck away with.

That's five close wins we pulled off in the last few seconds, and if things hadn't gone our way last season we could have also ended up 4-12. Just something to think about.

Reaction score
theogt said:
I don't know about you guys but I can't wait another minute for the 06 season. tick, tick, tick, tick. AAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Ditto here. I hate the off season.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
I know I was disapointed with the 2nd half but every time I think about last year I think about how absolutely THRILLING almost every game was. As long as we're playing the what if, you add Vanderjagt and keep FA healthy I think it's DALLAS, not Seattle in last year's SB. In a way I'm kinda glad we didn't have Vandy last year because if we make the playoffs with our OL situation it might have gotten ugly.