A little controversy never hurt anyone

CowboyMark

Reaction score
With all this T.O talk, running game not being good as it was the week before, the lack of determination in this team, the skins loss, and all the media attention got me to thinking that it's not all that bad. The past couple of super bowl champions have been contreversial themselves. The steelers in 05. They were 11-5 and the sixth seed. Not many of the experts had them going past the second round. Was Bettis going to retire? Can Big Ben lead them to a championship? Can they go to the super bowl after failing the year before with a 15-1 record? Ofcourse we all know what happened there.In 06 the Colts. They had a terrible defense all year long. To the poing where Manning said "Guys I can't play both offense and defense" after a huge loss. You can tell he was thinking "how am I suppose to win with a terrible defense". The defense stepped up where it counted the most in the playoffs and went all the way. Same thing last year with the giants. Barber retired, Shockey out for the year, Strahan's possible departure after the season. They had about 3 or 4 winning and losing streaks. At one point they led the division. At another point they were under .500. At another point noone gave them a chance. Especially us cowboy fans. Especially considering that the cowboys beat them twice in the regular season. They had issues with their defense, Coughlin, and Eli. We all know what happened there. So basically a little controversy is not really a bad thing. Just think back to the 90's cowboys. You all know about the contreversies there. Am I making light of this or am I right on the money.

Boysboy

Reaction score
CowboyMark;2300700 said:
With all this T.O talk, running game not being good as it was the week before, the lack of determination in this team, the skins loss, and all the media attention got me to thinking that it's not all that bad. The past couple of super bowl champions have been contreversial themselves. The steelers in 05. They were 11-5 and the sixth seed. Not many of the experts had them going past the second round. Was Bettis going to retire? Can Big Ben lead them to a championship? Can they go to the super bowl after failing the year before with a 15-1 record? Ofcourse we all know what happened there.In 06 the Colts. They had a terrible defense all year long. To the poing where Manning said "Guys I can't play both offense and defense" after a huge loss. You can tell he was thinking "how am I suppose to win with a terrible defense". The defense stepped up where it counted the most in the playoffs and went all the way. Same thing last year with the giants. Barber retired, Shockey out for the year, Strahan's possible departure after the season. They had about 3 or 4 winning and losing streaks. At one point they led the division. At another point they were under .500. At another point noone gave them a chance. Especially us cowboy fans. Especially considering that the cowboys beat them twice in the regular season. They had issues with their defense, Coughlin, and Eli. We all know what happened there. So basically a little controversy is not really a bad thing. Just think back to the 90's cowboys. You all know about the contreversies there. Am I making light of this or am I right on the money.

The '92 team got blown out by the LOWLY Rams at HOME in Dec.

The '93 team started out the season with Emmitt holding out, then subsequently got pounded in Washington and lost a nailbiter to Buffalo at home...started 0-2 and tons of unanswered questions went on afterwards. After a 7 game win streak, we were pummelled at Atlanta, and then lost the snow bowl T-Giving game to Miami b/c of a Leon Lett's boneheadedness.

Guess what-we were almost left for dead, only to finish the season winning out, including at The Meadowlands in the last week of the season the clinch HFA. From there, we rolled to the Super Bowl.

The '95 team featured getting swepted by the LOWLY Foreskins, and then that infamous 4th and 1 play at The Vet. We struggled that Dec, but nonetheless won out our last 2 against the Giants and Cards to clinch HFA. In the Giants game, Rodney Hampton just ran wild on us, and our O continued to be out of sync, but a Bonio FG pulled it out at the end. From there, we rooled all the way to the Super Bowl.

As you can see-we had alot of adversity in each of those years. I don't know...NOT saying losses are GOOD, but teams that have to go through these adversities seem to be more mentally tougher. Look at the 14-2 Chargers 2 years ago-they just cruised through the reg season, only to be caught eating the cheese at the worst possible time. Even Pats players admiited that the Chargers were showing little respect for them(remember the Giants players like Toomer and Strahan said the same thing about us in that playoff game). But look at the following year when they started 1-3, and then 5-5, only to roll from there to the AFCCG.

The only thing that worries me about this Skins loss is that we're in the toughest division in football, and it's important for ALL teams to protect their territory(FedEx isn't exactly going to be easy, even if our D et al are much improved by then). But other than that, it's only 1/4 of the season, there's a long way to go, so I think we'll be fine.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
They weren't blown out by the Rams in 1992 but did blow a lead in that game.

The controversy is making it the airwaves in Canada. Basically the commentators are saying the Cowboys are finished as TO is melting down.

All part of the gerbilization of the media

Boysboy

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;2300816 said:
They weren't blown out by the Rams in 1992 but did blow a lead in that game.

The controversy is making it the airwaves in Canada. Basically the commentators are saying the Cowboys are finished as TO is melting down.

All part of the gerbilization of the media

Remember the drug suspensions we had in '95. Losing Leon Lett for 4 games was NEAR disasterous b/c not only he was a disruptive force getting that pass rush in the middle, but he was also a darn good run stuffer as well(with him out of the lineup, our opponents' run game was gashing us in the middle). And our nickel corner Clayton Holmes had to miss a month too.

sweetness0986

Reaction score
I'm knocking on wood as I say this, but I think TO is going to have a HUGE game this week. He always seems to play well when there is controversy.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
This is T.O's way of getting some very much emotions going. The problem is he played this record before too many times and he needs to find newer more effective methods. We haven't played with any heart. Only the offense against philly and the D looked hungry against GB. But both sides haven't clicked at the same time and have only showed some heart once each in 4 games whether we won or lost. Zach Thomas said it best that we need to understand nothing is easy in this league.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Actually we need the controvery cause if you've ever seen the 1972 Americas Game deal then you know (And most Cowboys fans know this anyway) but this team has never won a Superbowl without a little bit of controversy through out the year.