A look at the Ages, Heights, and Weights of NFC East starters

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I did a run down of the starting rosters of the NFC East. There were a few possible assumptions that I had made:

- A rookie will start for Dallas at LOLB. Given the 3-4 scheme, I assumed the rookie would be 6'4" tall, 250 pounds and 23 years old. I also assumed that Chris Canty will be a starting DE.

- Chris Clemons will start at LB and Renaldo Wynn will start at DE for Washington.

- Mike Patterson, Dhani Jones, Shawn Barber, Reggie Brown, and Greg Lewis will start for Philly.

- Fred Robbins, William Joseph, Nick Greisen, Reggie Torbor, and Sam Madison will start for New York.

- For age, I wanted to know the age of each starter on 9/1/2006

AVERAGE AGE OF THE STARTERS (DOESN'T INCLUDE KICKERS & PUNTERS)

Dallas 27.36
New York 27.45
Philly 27.82
Washington 28.04

AVERAGE AGE OF THE O-LINE

NYG 27.0
Philly 28.2
Washington 28.4
Dallas 30.2

AVERAGE WEIGHT OF O-LINE

Philly 330.8 pounds
NYG 314.4 pounds
Washington 313.6 pounds
Dallas 312.4 pounds

AVERAGE HEIGHT OF O-LINE

Dallas 77.6 inches
Washington 77.2 inches
Philly 76.8 inches
NYG 76.6 inches

AVERAGE AGE OF THE STARTING DEFENSIVE FRONT SEVEN

Dallas 25.0
NYG 27.4
Philly 28.4
Washington 28.6

AVERAGE WEIGHT OF STARTING DEFENSIVE FRONT SEVEN

NYG 272.7 pounds
Dallas 271.0 pounds
Philly 266.9 pounds
Washington 264.7 pounds

AVERAGE HEIGHT OF STARTING DEFENSIVE FRONT SEVEN

Dallas 76.0 inches
NYG 75.1 inches
Washington 75.0 inches
Philly 73.9 inches

Rich..........

NorTex

Reaction score
I appreciate all your hard work, but don't understand the relevence.

burritopunk

Reaction score
Neat analysis. Just curious, did you include Andre Carter for the Skins? I know he will be playing DE.

gollum

Reaction score
calcbfan1 said:
Very interesting Rich...and you can't make all the people happy all the time...must not be a numbers guy or of analytical nature.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
calcbfan1 said:

...on defence we are the youngest, tallest and heaviest.

On offence we are the oldest( or most experienced: your choice), lightest and tallest.

As a team in general we are the youngest in starting age.

Hopefully it translates into a team who can execute properly and has much more fitness for the fourth quarter of games and winning in the second half of the season.

What is the most important number statistic for me is to see the team on the rise over the last (6) games which will be a testament to their stamina and fitness. Execution will show in the early part of the season, but stamina tends to wane in the second half. One of our biggest problems last year.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:
I did a run down of the starting rosters of the NFC East. There were a few possible assumptions that I had made:

- A rookie will start for Dallas at LOLB. Given the 3-4 scheme, I assumed the rookie would be 6'4" tall, 250 pounds and 23 years old. I also assumed that Chris Canty will be a starting DE.

- Chris Clemons will start at LB and Renaldo Wynn will start at DE for Washington.

- Mike Patterson, Dhani Jones, Shawn Barber, Reggie Brown, and Greg Lewis will start for Philly.

- Fred Robbins, William Joseph, Nick Greisen, Reggie Torbor, and Sam Madison will start for New York.

- For age, I wanted to know the age of each starter on 9/1/2006

AVERAGE AGE OF THE STARTERS (DOESN'T INCLUDE KICKERS & PUNTERS)

Dallas 27.36
New York 27.45
Philly 27.82
Washington 28.04

AVERAGE AGE OF THE O-LINE

NYG 27.0
Philly 28.2
Washington 28.4
Dallas 30.2

AVERAGE WEIGHT OF O-LINE

Philly 330.8 pounds
NYG 314.4 pounds
Washington 313.6 pounds
Dallas 312.4 pounds

AVERAGE HEIGHT OF O-LINE

Dallas 77.6 inches
Washington 77.2 inches
Philly 76.8 inches
NYG 76.6 inches

AVERAGE AGE OF THE STARTING DEFENSIVE FRONT SEVEN

Dallas 25.0
NYG 27.4
Philly 28.4
Washington 28.6

AVERAGE WEIGHT OF STARTING DEFENSIVE FRONT SEVEN

NYG 272.7 pounds
Dallas 271.0 pounds
Philly 266.9 pounds
Washington 264.7 pounds

AVERAGE HEIGHT OF STARTING DEFENSIVE FRONT SEVEN

Dallas 76.0 inches
NYG 75.1 inches
Washington 75.0 inches
Philly 73.9 inches

Rich..........
Actually, when you weigh the defensive front 7, you should match them up with other 3-4 teams. I would Identify our weakness. And you will find out that we are fastly undersized at NT. I did that excercise about 2 months ago.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
burritopunk said:
Neat analysis. Just curious, did you include Andre Carter for the Skins? I know he will be playing DE.

Yes. For the Skins I had their starting front seven as follows:

Carter
Salivea
Griffin
Wynn (it could be Daniels, but they are almost the same in size and age)
Washington
Clemons
Marshall

Rich.............

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
davidyee said:
...on defence we are the youngest, tallest and heaviest.

On defense, Dallas is the second heaviest. The heaviest is the Giants.

That being said, Dallas is the tallest and the weight numbers are probably a bit off. Typically I find that a player in the NFL that is 6'4" and 240 pounds is considerably bigger than a player that is 5'11" and 240 pounds.

Rich...........

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
calcbfan1 said:

I think it shows what teams are trying to do. Washington has the smallest defense, but it's obvious they rely on speed.

Dallas has the small O-Line which couldn't have been said even a year ago. So it's apparent that Parcells likes mobile O-Linemen.

Dallas is probably the biggest on defense, which goes along with being a 3-4 defense. They are bigger than they were last year and far, far bigger than they were in 2003. This shows that they are trying to be far more physical on defense.

Rich........

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
Actually, when you weigh the defensive front 7, you should match them up with other 3-4 teams. I would Identify our weakness. And you will find out that we are fastly undersized at NT. I did that excercise about 2 months ago.

I don't believe that Ferguson weighs in at 305 pounds. My guess is that he's at least 320, which is fine. The problem is that after Ferguson, Pepper Johnson weighs 300 pounds, tops.

The Chargers front seven has an average weight of 280 pounds (which I think is inflated greatly). Steelers is 269 and Patriots are 276.

If anything it appears that Dallas may be a little bit on the light side for a 3-4 (who knows since the Chargers weights look inflated as do some of the Patriots), so they probably rely a bit more on agility and speed.

Rich........