A quick look at the #2 QBs for 2007

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
Sometimes, there's nothing wrong when 2 becomes 1
by NFL Expert Mike Nahrstedt

Jeff Garcia was a 36-year-old afterthought when he took over for Donovan McNabb last season. Five wins to close out the season and one playoff appearance later, Garcia was the most popular man in Philadelphia. Donovan who?

Damon Huard got similar love in Kansas City when he led the Chiefs to five wins in eight games while Trent Green was out with a concussion. Green went from being a beloved Pro Bowler to a distraction when his head cleared after a 10-week break.

When the starting quarterback's return sparks that much controversy, you know you have a pretty good QB situation.

The Eagles and Chiefs wouldn't have made the playoffs without Garcia and Huard stepping up, and 14 other teams also had to start a backup at some point last season.

So it's not just who's starting now; it's who will be starting if he's forced to. The second guy on the depth chart could make all the difference in how a season turns out. So we examined the league's quarterback duos, separated them into four categories and ranked them within each. Some are built for success; others are more like a wing and a prayer -- or a pair of prayers.

A solid 1-2
1. Philadelphia (Donovan McNabb, A.J. Feeley). It has worked before; Feeley's 4-1 starting stint in 2002 propelled the Eagles to the playoffs.
2. Pittsburgh (Ben Roethlisberger, Charlie Batch). Batch starts, Steelers win (3-0 over the past two seasons). The other guy won a Super Bowl.
3. St. Louis (Marc Bulger, Gus Frerotte). A guy who was 9-6 as Miami's starter two years ago backs up a Pro Bowler.
4. Baltimore (Steve McNair, Kyle Boller). Boller was starting to hit his stride when a future Hall of Famer came in and pushed him aside.
5. Arizona (Matt Leinart, Kurt Warner). A star in the making and a highly decorated tutor.
6. Atlanta (Michael Vick, Joey Harrington). Vick might yet put it all together, and Harrington has been through some battles.
7. San Francisco (Alex Smith, Trent Dilfer). Dilfer is one of the all-time great mentors and has a Super Bowl ring, and his protege keeps getting better.
8. Carolina (Jake Delhomme, David Carr). The Panthers could do worse than having a No. 1 overall draft pick in reserve.
9. Dallas (Tony Romo, Brad Johnson). Romo is on the rise, and Johnson has a 71-51 record as a starter.
10. San Diego (Philip Rivers, Billy Volek). Volek put up good numbers when pressed into service three years ago with the Titans.
11. Chicago (Rex Grossman, Brian Griese). The Bears wouldn't lose much if Griese took over.
12. Tampa Bay (Chris Simms, Jeff Garcia). Jon Gruden has good options to scrutinize in training camp.
13. Tennessee (Vince Young, Kerry Collins). The Titans are rebuilding around Young, and Collins still has some gas in his tank.
14. Jacksonville (Byron Leftwich, David Garrard). Neither player is exciting, but neither is a disaster, either.
15. Denver (Jay Cutler, Patrick Ramsey). Ramsey's experience is a cushion in the event Cutler has issues.

Solid 1, iffy 2
1. Cincinnati (Carson Palmer, Doug Johnson). If Johnson is required to do more than mop-up work, the Bengals will be toast.
2. New Orleans (Drew Brees, Jamie Martin). Martin is an even scarier option than Johnson.
3. Seattle (Matt Hasselbeck, Seneca Wallace). Wallace wasn't bad in four starts last season. Not great, either.
4. New York Jets (Chad Pennington, Kellen Clemens). The Jets are high on Clemens, but at this point, who knows what he has?
5. New York Giants (Eli Manning, Anthony Wright). Manning's inconsistency lowers this duo's ranking.

Anything but solid
1. Buffalo (J.P. Losman, Craig Nall). Losman improved last season but remains a work in progress.
2. Kansas City (Brodie Croyle, Damon Huard). Croyle is an unknown commodity, and Huard, as good as he was last season, is a 33-year-old journeyman.
3. Cleveland (Brady Quinn, Charlie Frye). Potential abounds in a group that includes Derek Anderson, but nobody inspires great confidence -- yet.
4. Detroit (Jon Kitna, Dan Orlovsky). The Lions drafted Drew Stanton for a reason.
5. Miami (Daunte Culpepper, Cleo Lemon). The Dolphins drafted John Beck for a reason -- though a healthy Culpepper would change everything.
6. Houston (Matt Schaub, Sage Rosenfels). Schaub is all the rage, but he must prove himself on the field.
7. Washington (Jason Campbell, Mark Brunell). Brunell isn't a bad fallback option. Just an old one.
8. Minnesota (Tarvaris Jackson, Brooks Bollinger). A 2-9 record in 11 combined starts. These guys face a steep learning curve.
9. Oakland (Andrew Walter, JaMarcus Russell). This situation will look much better a year from now when a second-year Russell is backed up by current No. 3 Josh McCown.

Starter is so rock-solid ...
These guys never get hurt and play lights-out, so their backups are largely insignificant.
1. Indianapolis (Peyton Manning, Jim Sorgi).
2. New England (Tom Brady, Matt Cassel). 3. Green Bay (Brett Favre, Aaron Rodgers).

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
how are 2 of the worst QBs in the NFL (Vick and Harrington) on a top-10 list for 1-2 punch at QB?

Wrangler87

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1503118 said:
how are 2 of the worst QBs in the NFL (Vick and Harrington) on a top-10 list for 1-2 punch at QB?

...And Tennesee with Vince Young, last years lowest rated passer in the entire NFL, backed up by Kerry Collins.

kTXe

On To The Next One
Reaction score
Gryphon;1503011 said:
Sometimes, there's nothing wrong when 2 becomes 1
spice-girls-photo-spice-girls-6221138.jpg

"When two become oooone..."

BouncingCheese

Stay out of my Bidness
Reaction score
Brad Johnson had a weak arm to begin with, and he is old.... That is actually good for us if Romo goes down. Johnson played terribly last season because he was asked to win the game by throwing deep (which he can't do) when the defense gave up so many points; Johnson is super accurate, is smart, and really doesn't care about the spotlight because he was never really in it.

If Carson Palmer goes down, the Bengals are finished; Doug Johnson? hahahaha.

By the way Palmer needs perfect protection to be effective IMO, I wonder how the line will do now that Steinbech is gone and the lineman getting older.

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
Wrangler87;1503437 said:
...And Tennesee with Vince Young, last years lowest rated passer in the entire NFL, backed up by Kerry Collins.

Well, Young did improve fairly significantly over the course of the season. Maybe they're throwing potential into the mix.

First 7 starts: 5 TDs 7 INT 80completions 173 attempts 46.2% 3-4 record 941 yards 134 YPG 56.1 QB rating

Final 6 starts: 6 TDs 5 INT 104 completions 184 attempts 56.5% 5-1 record 1125 yards 188 YPG 74.2 QB rating

BouncingCheese

Stay out of my Bidness
Reaction score
God Kerry Collins is bad... is he still with the Titans? Also, little note: Kerry Collins another chucker like Drew Bledsoe, had his best years under Sean Payton... man I miss that guy.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Young was a rookie and won Rookie of the Year.....

I personally dont like his backup. I wish they would get someone other than Kerry Collins.

VINCE RULES

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I just dont get the rankings, it just doesn't work with pairs I guess. I think it would make much more sense to rank best backup qbs.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gryphon;1503011 said:
6. Atlanta (Michael Vick, Joey Harrington). Vick might yet put it all together, and Harrington has been through some battles.
This is the #6 combo in the league? What are you kidding me? Neither has accomplished anything. Stupid Falcons traded the wrong QB if you ask me.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
These guys are in the top-10?

Baltimore - Boller sucks. That's all, he just sucks.

Arizona - I love Leinart but Warner is completely done.

Atlanta - Vick is not a QB and Harrington hasn't gotten it done anywhere he's been.

Chicago - Grossman sucks one week, then has a good game, then sucks, then... Griese is just as streaky.

Tennessee - Vince Young looked great last year because no one expected him to play anywhere near that well. Still, he wasn't all that. Kerry Collins is one of the worst QBs in the world.

I would move Carolina up a few spots. I expect Carr to supplant DelHomme before the season is out, maybe by the halfway point.

I don't think I would rank Pittsburgh as high as they have them. Big Ben struggled when he didn't have Bettis in the backfield. I am not all that impressed with him. He's a good QB but not one of the top guys.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Maybe it's just me but I'd rather have Jamarcus Russell as a back up than Brad Johnson or anyone else in that first tier for that matter.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
eman721;1503602 said:
spice-girls-photo-spice-girls-6221138.jpg

"When two become oooone..."

:laugh2: :laugh2: i know what you are talking about...not sure if that is a good thing or not. Was that even a single?:laugh2:

CowboyMike

Stay Thirsty, My Friends
Reaction score
Gryphon;1503011 said:
5. New York Giants (Eli Manning, Anthony Wright). Manning's inconsistency lowers this duo's ranking.

:lmao2: I love that Eli is what brought their ranking down, not our former back up. :cool:

CaptainQuint

Reaction score
Leinart is tough, and good...already.
Alex Smith is another good one...reminds me of Archie Manning already.
Matt Cassell was fabulous in preseason, but maybe I was over-influenced by that.
The Giants have serious QB problems...at least I hope so.