A small complaint, but why not Austin?

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
This may not have affected the outcome, but just curious... Any idea why Nate Jones was returning kicks and not Austin? Miles seemed to have given us great field position the last two weeks, and he WAS active, so why not him?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I noticed that right away. Hopefully someone will address this with Wade so we can find out. It was disappointing especially with the success Austin has had.

Dcowboy84

Reaction score
Austin was back there, but they kicked to the opposite side of the field from him.

they had him on the right side b/c usually a left-footed kicker will kick it to the right, but i think Philly was purposely kicking it to the other side

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Dcowboy84;1838846 said:
Austin was back there, but they kicked to the opposite side of the field from him.

they had him on the right side b/c usually a left-footed kicker will kick it to the right, but i think Philly was purposely kicking it to the other side

yep the eagles, david ackers did a great job of kicking away from him. Austin tried to step in front of him in the second half there once but jones wasnt having it!!!!

I wanted to see mcquistan toss it back to him before the half, but those are dumb plays and I am glad they didnt.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
Okay well if that is all there was to it, then I can live with it. I thought it was a coaching decision while watching.

FCBarca

Reaction score
Dcowboy84;1838846 said:

Exactly...He was out there...Just goes to show you, teams are realizing not to kick to Miles...And at the same time, Special Teams need to learn how to disguise who is going to be back there and where...Gotta have Miles returning those kicks

I'd even have Austin doing the punt returns as well

sago1

Reaction score
I was upset that Austin wasn't back there. While I'm glad to hear he was, I'm not happy that he wasn't designated the primary returner. Austin was doing an excellent job or the Eagles wouldn't have punted away from him. It's the job of our ST coach to get that straightened out. Much of this game we had lousy field position -- not that good field position helped us much either -- but I'd still rather have good then bad. I expect this matter to be taken care of before our next game.

CowboyJeff

Reaction score
Funny - when Tyson Thompson was our returner, he was running the ball back no matter which side of the field it was kicked. Miles could be on the left, and Tyson ran to the left and caught it anyway......

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
what I want to know is why they aren't putting Austin on the field, and have him run some go-patterns on offense?

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1839282 said:
what I want to know is why they aren't putting Austin on the field, and have him run some go-patterns on offense?
After watching Hurd play today, if Austin is not better than he is, we have a problem.