Aaron Rodgers will enter draft

Eskimo

Reaction score
Good for us.

He likely goes before us meaning a player we covet is more likely to fall to us.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
Eskimo said:
Good for us.

He likely goes before us meaning a player we covet is more likely to fall to us.

Yep. Fingers crossed Leinart declares, too.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Dale said:
Yep. Fingers crossed Leinart declares, too.

Yeah, but if Leinhart or Rodgers falls to us, do we take him? We already passed on Leftwich, do we pass on one of those guys? Not that I think any of them are as good as Leftwich though. I like the Cal kid, but he's not Leftwich. And Leinhart is overrated IMO.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
I just want to be in a position to get Mike Williams and then a big DT that can help stuff the run next to Glover. After watching the Rose Bowl I am not sure Wright is that guy. Seems like he got handled pretty good.

Eskimo

Reaction score
Rack said:
Yeah, but if Leinhart or Rodgers falls to us, do we take him? We already passed on Leftwich, do we pass on one of those guys? Not that I think any of them are as good as Leftwich though. I like the Cal kid, but he's not Leftwich. And Leinhart is overrated IMO.

I'd rather take my chances with Henson rather than either of these two.

You can't turn back the clock to the 2003 draft Rack. What's done is done. At least Newman had a better 2nd half. He even looked like he was learning how to play the ball a little bit.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
cajuncowboy said:
I just want to be in a position to get Mike Williams and then a big DT that can help stuff the run next to Glover. After watching the Rose Bowl I am not sure Wright is that guy. Seems like he got handled pretty good.
You bet your bottom dollar.

jimmy40

Reaction score
Rack said:
He lost Mike Williams and didn't miss a beat. Why do you think he's overated?

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
Eskimo said:

You can't turn back the clock to the 2003 draft Rack. What's done is done. At least Newman had a better 2nd half. He even looked like he was learning how to play the ball a little bit.

Agreed. This doesn't seem like the year to draft a quarterback in the top 10. After being so hesitant to do so in years past, I think it'd be a huge mistake to finally take the plunge with this year's class.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Eskimo said:

Who said anything about turning back the clock? And Newman had nothing to do with me mentioning leftwich. It's the fact that we don't have a franchise QB. I didn't say "lets turn back the clock" I said "Do we pass on another potential franchise QB?"

I'd be all for waiting to see what Henson has. I also wouldn't be against saying "f**k it" and going ahead and spending a high pick on a QB.

He'll be the overall #1 pick. Yes, even over Leinart.

Is he that good? So would you be against drafting him if he pulled a Leftwich and dropped to us?

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
Hostile said:
You bet your bottom dollar.

The smart money has to be on a WR. Especially with Williams and Edwards in the draft. With the way the NFL is enforcing the sissy rule a guy like Williams would have a field day over the NFL CBs. It will also help develope our QB. And as far as the DT I am really concerned about that. I also would like a big RT in the mold of Marcus McNiel from Auburn.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Rack said:
Is he that good? So would you be against drafting him if he pulled a Leftwich and dropped to us?
He plays for a QB minded coach, has all the intangibles, and is a bright kid. I expect his stock to soar when the QB hungry teams see him at the Combines.

I don't believe we are looking QB, but if he is there at 11 and is the best player on our board, then looking QB or not, take him or try and make someone pay a king's ransom.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
The reason the Bills traded up for Losman was because they thought so little of this year's QB class. It isn't considered very strong.

VA Cowboy

Benched
Reaction score
Dale said:
Agreed. This doesn't seem like the year to draft a quarterback in the top 10. After being so hesitant to do so in years past, I think it'd be a huge mistake to finally take the plunge with this year's class.

Then it's a good thing we pick 11th ;)

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Rack said:

Chances are they would both be top 5 picks.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
Leinart has already stated that he doesn't want to declare himself for the draft. I think a lot of that has to do with who will pick at number one. The 49ers will select Leinart with the first pick and the 49ers organization has basically become the Arizona Cardinals because their new owner doesn't want to spend money. Plus, Leinart is loving his college experience. He knows he has a chance to play for a third national championship and win the Heisman. I doubt Leinart will declare himself for the draft.

lkelly

Reaction score
I think Leinart will come out. The USC coaches will tell him to, since there's so much money at stake.

After hearing Jerry say something along the lines of "they want to have 2 QBs in place to choose from" (alluding to the strategy of taking Aikman and Walsh), I start to wonder if Dallas doesn't try to bring in another QB to challenge Henson. Then again, maybe they think that Romo is the answer to the 2nd QB.

I think this is actually a pretty good year for QBs. Along with Leinart, Rodgers, and Smith, I think the Akron QB Frye could be a player, along with Orlovsky from UCONN, Purdue's Orton, ASU's Walter, and my new eye-catcher Jason Campbell from Auburn. Any of these guys could turn into decent NFL starters. If Dallas were to trade down and pick up one of the second level guys in the 2nd or 3rd round, they may have a bargain. I might draft Brock Berlin in the 7th round, but I wouldn't pick Chris Rix if the draft went to 15 rounds.