AB Lit It Up Again

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Here's the problem with assessing AB.

He definitely has talent, but what about his character?
People get enamored with the talent and they tend to downplay character.
Yet they don't realize (or fail to): talent is readily seen and its effect can be seen immediate; character is developed over time and its impact isn't as ostentacious (forgive the spelling, I just don't feel like looking it up).

So you will tend to see in talented people the evidence of their talent. But if they lack character, you don't see that as quickly. But in one of those crucial or critical moments, a lack of character will doom you.

For all AB's talents, how would we ever know that his desire to be "the man" will hurt his team in a critical moment.

I wish him well. But I'm not getting too upset over Parcells' letting him go. When you least expect it or when you're not even aware of it, AB's character will get the best of him.

DLK150

The Quiet Man
Reaction score
I'm glad he's doing well there in Cleveland. His stats have been good, but that's partially being in there while Andre Davis has been out...more opportunities for him. On top of that, the Browns have been all pass no run the last couple of weeks. I don't think they've broken 100 yards as a team in a month.
I liked him as a player, but he needed too much nurturing when he wasn't getting the ball as much as he wanted/needed. I think he's about the only player I've seen sulk and have to be comforted after his team won a game.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
tyke1doe said:
Here's the problem with assessing AB.

He definitely has talent, but what about his character?
People get enamored with the talent and they tend to downplay character.
Yet they don't realize (or fail to): talent is readily seen and its effect can be seen immediate; character is developed over time and its impact isn't as ostentacious (forgive the spelling, I just don't feel like looking it up).

So you will tend to see in talented people the evidence of their talent. But if they lack character, you don't see that as quickly. But in one of those crucial or critical moments, a lack of character will doom you.

For all AB's talents, how would we ever know that his desire to be "the man" will hurt his team in a critical moment.

I wish him well. But I'm not getting too upset over Parcells' letting him go. When you least expect it or when you're not even aware of it, AB's character will get the best of him.
"character" sure can be overplayed. "oh, gee, he can sure catch the ball - but he isn't a nice person". THWACK! hey churchlady, these pro athletes are a mixed bag of personalities. i don't expect the guy to be a bastion of morality or lead the choir in a hymn. just catch the ball, make the play, work hard and stay out of jail. they don't have to be angels to be effective players. i remember when jim rome was callin' gary sheffield "gary cancerfield". last i looked he was an MVP candidate. sure there are nicer guys playing. so what?

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
tothewhipbill said:
"character" sure can be overplayed. "oh, gee, he can sure catch the ball - but he isn't a nice person". THWACK! hey churchlady, these pro athletes are a mixed bag of personalities. i don't expect the guy to be a bastion of morality or lead the choir in a hymn. just catch the ball, make the play, work hard and stay out of jail. they don't have to be angels to be effective players. i remember when jim rome was callin' gary sheffield "gary cancerfield". last i looked he was an MVP candidate. sure there are nicer guys playing. so what?

Say what you will about character, but using Gary Sheffield as an example does your argument an injustice. He may have been an MVP candidate, but his first year with the Yankees is also the first year they've lost to the Red Sox in the playoffs since when? That's right, individual awards are more important than team success.