About punches thrown between coaches on the sideline. Anyone remember this one?

RedskinsOne

Benched
Reaction score
Back in the 90s, when Buddy Ryan was I think the Def coordinator with Houston, he threw a punch at someone named Gilbride. And I think Gilbride was Houston's Offensive coordinator. I believe he even openly ridiculed Gilbride in the press conference after the game.

Does anyone remember seeing that incident on TV.? If so, does what transpired between Parcells and Haley compare? I didn't see it on TV. Here in the Washington DC area, the Fox channel was busy drowning in self-congratulation after the 52-17 performance against the 49ers. I couldn't stomach it, and wished they'd show the Seattle v. Dallas game.

Does the league have any rules about this sort of thing? I mean fisticuffs between coaches, not the Fox channel disppointing RedskinsOne. I would think they do.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
RedskinsOne said:
Back in the 90s, when Buddy Ryan was I think the Def coordinator with Houston, he threw a punch at someone named Gilbride. And I think Gilbride was Houston's Offensive coordinator. I believe he even openly ridiculed Gilbride in the press conference after the game.

Does anyone remember seeing that incident on TV.? If so, does what transpired between Parcells and Haley compare? I didn't see it on TV. Here in the Washington DC area, the Fox channel was busy drowning in self-congratulation after the 52-17 performance against the 49ers. I couldn't stomach it, and wished they'd show the Seattle v. Dallas game.

Does the league have any rules about this sort of thing? I mean fisticuffs between coaches, not the Fox channel disppointing RedskinsOne. I would think they do.

...Gilbride who was the offensive coordinator. Ryan was jawing at Gilbride because he felt that Gilbride's unit was losing the game and taking the team down.

Everyone knew Ryan was a jack *** and look where it has taken his career? End of story.

NorthDalal

Reaction score
No punch.Just an angry snarl over his shoulder and a push-away slap to tell him to get away before Mr. Ultraconservative busdriver-dispatching sideline dominator made a case for an argument he couldn't win with the ref.

RedskinsOne

Benched
Reaction score
davidyee said:
...Gilbride who was the offensive coordinator. Ryan was jawing at Gilbride because he felt that Gilbride's unit was losing the game and taking the team down.

Everyone knew Ryan was a jack *** and look where it has taken his career? End of story.

I remember you from back in the DMN days. I hope you are fine.

This Dallas team is a lot better than it used to be. Believe it or not, I like it that way.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
As I've discussed on this forum previously, Parcells indeed punched Haley.

But to compare Parcells' and Haley's conflict to Ryan's and Gilbride's would be inaccurate.

Differences:

- Parcells is the coach. Even though I thought it was inappropriate for him to take a swing at Haley, I can understand his explanation - that he was trying to get Haley to move out of the ear of the refs. He swung at him to show his disapproval, but I doubt it was anything more than that. Ryan, on the other hand, was the defensive coordinator for the Houston Oilers; Gilbride the offensive coordinator. Ryan absolutely HATED the run and shoot because it was an offense that was neither ball-control (meaning his defense would be out on the field more) and was turnover-plagued (meaning his defense would be out on the field more). That's what prompted Ryan to take a swing at Gilbride.

- I think Ryan's action was an act of hostility and animosity. I doubt Parcells hates Haley the way Ryan hated Gilbride and his offense.

- Ryan was very territorial, which contributed to his hostility. He would openly blame the offense, creating tension between the offensive and defensive units and between coaches. That team was a powder keg. Ryan created the same situation in Chicago with Ditka, who was forced by Halas to keep Ryan as defensive coordinator when Iron Mike became coach. Ryan had hostility toward Ditka, but he knew not to try that mess with Ditka. Even so, the two rarely spoke, only when they had to.
I don't think Parcells is territorial. But that wasn't even the issue with regard to Haley.

- Parcells' action was a momentary, temporary reaction, albeit an ill-advised and unacceptable one; Ryan's action was the result of festering hostility.

P.S. Gilbride would have whipped Buddy's behind had he gone after him. To his credit, he exercised restraint. It's so sad that the person who shows the most maturity in resisting violence is usually the one seen as being passive and a whimp. (Similar to the Stephen Davis beat-down by Michael Westbrooke. Davis is seen as a punk because he didn't defend himself against Westbrooke, which is so unfortunate.) Takes more strength, IMO, to resist the urge to violence than to submit to it.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
NorthDalal said:
No punch.Just an angry snarl over his shoulder and a push-away slap to tell him to get away before Mr. Ultraconservative busdriver-dispatching sideline dominator made a case for an argument he couldn't win with the ref.

Oh, pulease. That wasn't a push away. He obviously struck Haley.

RedskinsOne

Benched
Reaction score
"Takes more strength, IMO, to resist the urge to violence than to submit to it."

Absolutely right you are! Couldn't agree with you more. Thanks for that long well thought out post. I enjoyed reading it.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
RedskinsOne said:
I remember you from back in the DMN days. I hope you are fine.

This Dallas team is a lot better than it used to be. Believe it or not, I like it that way.

...what you remember of me is all good. Boy the good ole DMN. Flame wars that lasted for days. Testosterone hiding behind a Cowboy's jersey. You weren't a real internet fan unless you took a few swings in that forum.

One guy I miss is Mr. Bill. He and Doc were very knowledgeable fans.

What was your handle at the DMN?

RedskinsOne

Benched
Reaction score
davidyee said:
...what you remember of me is all good. Boy the good ole DMN. Flame wars that lasted for days. Testosterone hiding behind a Cowboy's jersey. You weren't a real internet fan unless you took a few swings in that forum.

One guy I miss is Mr. Bill. He and Doc were very knowledgeable fans.

What was your handle at the DMN?

It used to be Redskins1. That was unfortunately already taken here. But "One" or "1", I'm still the same. I remember the time I posted minutes before a Wahington v. Dallas game that the score would be Wash 38, Dallas 0. Dallas got the opening kickoff, marched all the way down the field and Emmitt ran it in! Still remember the joyful (on the Dallas fans part) responses to my post that day.

Mr. Bill, Eddie, SDCowboy, Dan capano, the inimitable WRZ!

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
RedskinsOne said:
It used to be Redskins1. That was unfortunately already taken here. But "One" or "1", I'm still the same. I remember the time I posted minutes before a Wahington v. Dallas game that the score would be Wash 38, Dallas 0. Dallas got the opening kickoff, marched all the way down the field and Emmitt ran it in! Still remember the joyful (on the Dallas fans part) responses to my post that day.

Mr. Bill, Eddie, SDCowboy, Dan capano, the inimitable WRZ!

... is here on regular basis, although you won't hear much about "Hot Latinas" because he's married.

Capuano I haven't heard form in a long time. SD Cowboy I think is here. Billy Zardus maybe at Renegade Radio along with some of the DMN regulars.

jem88

Reaction score
davidyee said:
... is here on regular basis, although you won't hear much about "Hot Latinas" because he's married.

Capuano I haven't heard form in a long time. SD Cowboy I think is here. Billy Zardus maybe at Renegade Radio along with some of the DMN regulars.
The Austin 360, You Make The Call board was the coolest place to be. JEM ran that board for years.

jimmy40

Reaction score
davidyee said:

That's not quite how it went. Houston was blowing out Miami and right before halftime instead of running the clock out Gilbride was throwing the ball and they turned it over and Dan Marino threw a hail mary and Houston's All Pro safety ( can't remember his name) who was also Ryan's favorite player blew out his knee on the play. His career was never even remotely the same and Houston's defense was never the same. Like I said the other night when we discussed this, Gilbride deserved it.

calico

Reaction score
I will never forget that game. The Oilers were actually winning and it was garbage time in the last game of the season. Buddy Ryan is just a piece of trash and that is all there is to say.

jimmy40

Reaction score
calico said:
I will never forget that game. The Oilers were actually winning and it was garbage time in the last game of the season. Buddy Ryan is just a piece of trash and that is all there is to say.
Gilbride deserved to get puched by that piece of trash, the ONLY time I ever liked Ryan.