Admit it...you wanted to hate Del Rio...but you couldn't

TonyS

Reaction score
I loved seeing his intensity on the sidelines as he pulled for his team. Yeah, he tore into people when they messed up, but dang...he was cheering and pumping his fist and looked like a conquering warrior.

He's going to field good teams for a long time. Smart, young, former player on America's Team.

Wanted to hate him, but ended up admiring his enthusiasm and longing for something similar on our side.

Draegerman

Internet Somebody
Reaction score
I hate him for confusing Bledsoe with the dark jerseys he made them wear today. When will the Cowboys coaching staff ever learn that someone needs to inform Drew which colored jersey to throw at prior to the start of these freakin' games? ;)

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
I don't care for Del Rio, but I do like to see an active coach on the sidelines, no matter who he is.

I live and die by Bill, but it pains me to witness his sidelines demeanor now, compared to what he was in the past. He was never a Pat Riley (my second all-time favorite coach), but geez, Tuna did get in guy's faces, cajole, uplift, inspire...even in his late fifties in NY.

Now he just stands with his arms folded, looking like a sour puss with those cold blue eyes and set lips...he has two main registers - disdain and disgust - reminds me of a dreaded nun back at school who lived to torture us.

There isn't any sidelines fire to go with the ice anymore ('cept when he pushes Haley). I KNOW it's due to his age, and I DON't want Bill having a heart attack while trying to psyche up or dress down a player, but geez, I miss that old style Parcells sidelines magic.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
i don't think he's anything special.

take away a few DUMB passes and penalties and he's looking at an embarrasing home opening loss.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
I don't care for Del Rio, but I do like to see an active coach on the sidelines, no matter who he is.

I live and die by Bill, but it pains me to witness his sidelines demeanor now, compared to what he was in the past. He was never a Pat Riley (my second all-time favorite coach), but geez, Tuna did get in guy's faces, cajole, uplift, inspire...even in his late fifties in NY.

Now he just stands with his arms folded, looking like a sour puss with those cold blue eyes and set lips...he has two main registers - disdain and disgust - reminds me of a dreaded nun back at school who lived to torture us.

There isn't any sidelines fire to go with the ice anymore ('cept when he pushes Haley). I KNOW it's due to his age, and I DON't want Bill having a heart attack while trying to psyche up or dress down a player, but geez, I miss that old style Parcells sidelines magic.

I agree LTN...

I used to LOVE the way Parcells coached. I thought his press conferences were a blast. And he was very entertaining.

This ain't the same guy. It's like he's got an attitude that he's separate from his players. You can see it in the way he watches from the sidelines.

He's become overly negative. And everything is about not making mistakes.

It's an emotional game. The fastest way to taking away a player's emotion is to make him afraid of making a mistake.

But with all that aside, there are times I'd love to walk up to Parcells and say "Hey, your 65. You haven't got 50 years left. Enjoy your life and appreciate that you are one of a very few select individuals who do what you do for a living. And if you can't enjoy it, turn the reigns over to someone who will and walk away gracefully (with your $30 million of Jerry's money)"

notherbob

Reaction score
TonyS said:
I loved seeing his intensity on the sidelines as he pulled for his team. Yeah, he tore into people when they messed up, but dang...he was cheering and pumping his fist and looked like a conquering warrior.

He's going to field good teams for a long time. Smart, young, former player on America's Team.

Wanted to hate him, but ended up admiring his enthusiasm and longing for something similar on our side.

Yeah, I thought both teams' coaches' attitudes rubbed off on their players and made a difference in the ways they played. TO was trying to pump up some people towards the end but they just didn't respond; it was just like they wanted him to shutup and sit down.

I think this team needs at least one coach who can motivate people.

If they don't start generating a little enthusiasm, this could be a long season.

Draegerman

Internet Somebody
Reaction score
This isn't intended to create another "Get rid of Parcells" rant, but I would very much like to see our next coach to be a fire and brimstone kind of guy. Somebody like Cowher who isn't afraid to wear his emotions on his sleeves during a game.

And for crying out loud! Get someone that has a bit of rebel in him. A coach that doesn't go along with the odds all the time. I'd like to see our next coach take a chance and roll the dice now and then, keep the opponents constantly guessing his every move.

I simply can't get over the conservative playcalling that happened today. If Parcells had played this game with a "nothing to lose" attitude, we'd all probably be feeling a lot happier right now.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
notherbob said:
Yeah, I thought both teams' coaches' attitudes rubbed off on their players and made a difference in the ways they played. TO was trying to pump up some people towards the end but they just didn't respond; it was just like they wanted him to shutup and sit down.

I think this team needs at least one coach who can motivate people.

If they don't start generating a little enthusiasm, this could be a long season.

... say all we want about Eldorado, but I was impressed by his enthusiasm. On the sidelines he shows he can be a part of the team.

Is this blasphemy, but I thought #81 was looking abit like #88 who prowled along the same sidelines cajoling his team mates.

Owens gets credit this game from me.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
TonyS said:

I've always hated Del Rio... from the early 80's when he body slammed a former retired Chief player (who worked in the front office) to the ground during the strike season, til when he left the Cowboys and talked some trash in an article...

He is a no-class arsehole...

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
trickblue said:
He is a no-class arsehole...

he might be, but him and his staff outcoached the heck out of our guys today

I'd rather have the no class arsehole...people used to say similar things about Mr Johnson when he was here too, and all he did was build a dynasty

David

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
he might be, but him and his staff outcoached the heck out of our guys today

I'd rather have the no class arsehole...people used to say similar things about Mr Johnson when he was here too, and all he did was build a dynasty

David

Well the thread subject stated how hard it was/is to hate Del Rio... I was just conveying the fact that I find it rather easy to hate him...