Adrian Peterson- cost of trading up revisited

Verdict

Reaction score
Adrian Peterson was available at pick 7 which was worth, according to one NFL draft value chart at 1500 points. We were sitting at pick 22, which was worth 780 points. Our first round pick next year looks to be in the range between 26 and 32 currently, which would have been worth somewhere between 580 and 700 points. Our 2nd round pick last year was worth 370 points. Based on the draft chart only, our 3rd was worth 155 points.

Essentially we could have probably traded our 2007 first rounder, 2008 first rounder and probably a third round pick in 2007 and could have selected Peterson. If he continues to kick butt like he has so far, that looks cheap in retrospect.

I haven't watched McFadden much, but he would have to be quite a hoss to be better than Peterson. Personally, I wished we had made the push this year and got Peterson. Then again, I realize these trades look different as time goes on. How good would we be if we had Peterson on this team?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
The value of picks in the following year is demoted a round. So in 2007, our 2008 first round pick is only worth a 2007 second round pick.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
wow.....I would of done it......but, hind-sight kills you sometimes.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
If he dropped to 10th, I would have done it. Otherwise I like where we are. He had a 1st this year, and we have (2) 1st next year. Thats three 1st, instead of just 1.

So, this is my view for next season. (obviously some possiblilty guessing here)

Starting OLB (Spencer) + Drafted Starting CB (Malcolm Jenkins) + Drafted Starting WR (Malcolm Kelly) > Adrian Peterson

Obviously I'm gussing on who we could draft next off season, but these would fill big-time needs.

A franchise RB would be great, but the ability to draft three starting quality players in big-time positions out weights trading all the way up to #7 or higher. If Peterson dropped to 10, Jerry already said he would have moved up and snatched him, and I wouldn't have blamed him as I would have done it too.

CowboyWay

If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State
Reaction score
Let it go boys, just let it go......

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
How many games have the Vikings won?

Running backs are nice to have but they do not often lead you to titles.

I recall one point where Emmitt became the first rushing yardage leader to win a title so it's not just a new trend.

While it is hard not to imagine how awesome AP would be in a star we need a WR/CB out of this draft coming up and AP wouldn't have helped at either spot.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I just wish we could get McFadden.

Thanks Cleveland.

khiladi

Reaction score
jterrell;1747103 said:
How many games have the Vikings won?

Running backs are nice to have but they do not often lead you to titles.

I recall one point where Emmitt became the first rushing yardage leader to win a title so it's not just a new trend.

While it is hard not to imagine how awesome AP would be in a star we need a WR/CB out of this draft coming up and AP wouldn't have helped at either spot.

The Vikings haven't won because they have no QB, meaning they stack the line to make Adrian Peterson beat them... AP is a beast, and if he gets a QB, that team is going to be a contender...

Lord only knows how good the WR will look if the Vikings have a QB could throw it, and play-action is in effect, because AP is a threat to run it all the way every time he touches the ball...

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
CATCH17;1747112 said:
I just wish we could get McFadden.

Thanks Cleveland.

McFadden = Herschel Walker

I would rather draft two Malcolms in the first round and a Hart in the second. ;) Of course I have a feeling Hart is going to go in the first round. :(

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I would have hated that trade regardless of how Peterson is doing now....2 number ones for a RB when we have two already? No thanks.

And as great as the kid is looking against crappy defenses, we shut him down completely. He's had two monster games (500 yards) against awful run defenses.

Not saying he's not a super back, but good playoff teams like Dallas can obviously stop him.

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
Umm, every team after pick 7 would have traded up if they knew what we all knew now.

khiladi

Reaction score
wayne motley;1747173 said:
I would have hated that trade regardless of how Peterson is doing now....2 number ones for a RB when we have two already? No thanks.

And as great as the kid is looking against crappy defenses, we shut him down completely. He's had two monster games against awful run defenses.

Not saying he's not a super back, but good playoff teams like Dallas can obviously stop him.

He ran it 10 times against our defense, and when he ran it, he scored...

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
I just have a problem giving away the store to get one player. You give up two # 1's and a 2nd or 3rd and the player gets injured, where are you?

Plus, I agree that we would be better off getting the best CB we can get and a WR (unless Stanback starts to light it up between now and the draft). On the other hand, if we can fill needs via FA then that leaves us a lot of leeway in the draft.

Zman5

Reaction score
Hindsight is 20/20.
Do you think New Orleans would have traded all those picks to get Ricky Williams knowing what they know now?

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
And how about all those idiot teams that drafted the first 6 picks. Jamarcus Russell, WR Johnson, OL Thomas (imagine how good Clev would be with Peterson!), #4, #5, and #6. Talk about stupidity: Oakland has to have made two of the dumbest moves in football history, drafting Russel ahead of Peterson and trading Moss for a 3rd or 4th rd pick. Al Davis is senile!!!

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
ninja;1747267 said:
And how about all those idiot teams that drafted the first 6 picks. Jamarcus Russell, WR Johnson, OL Thomas (imagine how good Clev would be with Peterson!), #4, #5, and #6. Talk about stupidity: Oakland has to have made two of the dumbest moves in football history, drafting Russel ahead of Peterson and trading Moss for a 3rd or 4th rd pick. Al Davis is senile!!!

In defense of Davis, Moss was not going to play for Oakland. He was disgruntled and acting like a spoiled brat. He didn't even try last year. It remains to be seen how good Russell will be. If he turns out to be a top tier QB, that would be more valuable than a top tier running back.

Pokes12

Reaction score
Yes, and we should have drafted Marino when we had the chance.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Pokes12;1747402 said:
Yes, and we should have drafted Marino when we had the chance.

Or Montana and traded up to get Rice

Along with a host of others