After thinking it over...

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
I'm not nearly as worried as I was last night. Vanderjagt is not the kicker he once was, but I still have faith that with practice (and a healthy hammy) he can still be a good kicker.

Our pass blocking has been above average, Bledsoe has spent very little time on the ground this preseason

Run blocking has been atrocious, and while it will not be that good this year, run blocking schemes are one of those things you dont show to much of in preseason. It will get better, how much is the question.

TO only caught one pass, but abused the corner on two deep routes and was WIDE open on one of them but Bledsoe was flushed out of the pocket. He looked fine.

Terry Glenn has been the best receiver in football this preseason. He may put up career numbers with teams focusing on TO.

Our starting defense gave up 10 points and 304 yards in 8 quarters of play, which equals 5 PPG and 152 YPG. If we can do anywhere near that consistantly this season, we will win the SB, I gurantee it.

Despite our rushing woes, we STILL had one of the top offenses in the preseason (the top yardage offense).

DBoys

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
I'm not nearly as worried as I was last night. Vanderjagt is not the kicker he once was, but I still have faith that with practice (and a healthy hammy) he can still be a good kicker.

Our pass blocking has been above average, Bledsoe has spent very little time on the ground this preseason

Run blocking has been atrocious, and while it will not be that good this year, run blocking schemes are one of those things you dont show to much of in preseason. It will get better, how much is the question.

TO only caught one pass, but abused the corner on two deep routes and was WIDE open on one of them but Bledsoe was flushed out of the pocket. He looked fine.

Terry Glenn has been the best receiver in football this preseason. He may put up career numbers with teams focusing on TO.

Our starting defense gave up 10 points and 304 yards in 8 quarters of play, which equals 5 PPG and 152 YPG. If we can do anywhere near that consistantly this season, we will win the SB, I gurantee it.

Despite our rushing woes, we STILL had one of the top offenses in the preseason (the top yardage offense).

Great post HH

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:

Who are you, and what have you done with Heavy? :D

FLCowboyFan

Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.
Reaction score
Look at it this way. We are not showing everything we have on either side of the ball. TO and Glenn were not playing much last night so they were not stretching the D. In the real season, the WR's will be making the D worry about them more than they are about the run. In this case the RB's will look much better. Give it time and it will come. Plus Minn is a good team. Our D looked great this pre-season.

You are spot on, it just seemed worse last night than it did once you sit back and think about the fact that we were not playing the regular season. None of these games are as they seem. We will be fine.

X-Dawg

Benched
Reaction score
Your post should have said - After thinking it over - I have no idea why people would pick us for the Super Bowl after seeing our OL get tossed around like Lincoln Tech ...

austintodallas

Consider Yourself Sucked
Reaction score
I think last night can be seen as a positive for sure. It's not like we got beat like a drum and demoralized ala the Commanders vs. Pats. We tied what looks to be a very good team heading into the season.

We did, however, make just enough mistakes to give Parcells plenty of ammo to work the boys hard heading into Jax.

I don't think there is any chance of us taking the Jags lightly.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
X-Dawg said:
Your post should have said - After thinking it over - I have no idea why people would pick us for the Super Bowl after seeing our OL get tossed around like Lincoln Tech ...
I'm sure they were saying that in Seattle after we dominated them.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
austintodallas said:
I think last night can be seen as a positive for sure. It's not like we got beat like a drum and demoralized ala the Commanders vs. Pats. We tied what looks to be a very good team heading into the season.

We did, however, make just enough mistakes to give Parcells plenty of ammo to work the boys hard heading into Jax.

I don't think there is any chance of us taking the Jags lightly.

I agree. I will admit that was the 1st game I have seen where an offense puts up over 500 yards of offense and only have 10 points. All in all I think this has been a very productive training camp and I have seen a lot of positives on this team. I don't think this last pre-season game should dampen anyone spirits for the season. This game will give BP every reason to come down on the team and get them focused on the Jags.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
X-Dawg said:

Surprisingly enough not everyone is as doom and gloom as you are. I will be interested to see your take if/when we start out the season on a roll, go to the playoffs, get a win in the playoffs, or win the Super Bowl.

Preview of X-Dawg's first thread if we win the SB...

"Sure we won the Super Bowl, but could we have been better?? Next season we're going to have the same issues, JJ sucks, OL sucks, Bledsoe is old, TO is a cancer.... blah blah blah."

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I agree. I will admit that was the 1st game I have seen where an offense puts up over 500 yards of offense and only have 10 points. All in all I think this has been a very productive training camp and I have seen a lot of positives on this team. I don't think this last pre-season game should dampen anyone spirits for the season. This game will give BP every reason to come down on the team and get them focused on the Jags.

Like I said last night, as time passes, we will become more positive, it is just human nature. The reason for 500 yards of offense and 10 points is that we couldn't even think about running in the red zone, so the D could zone into the stopping the pass. If you can't run in the red zone, you will end up kicking (with Vandy missing) field goals.

The pass will have to set up the run for this team. Not every team has 2 probowlers in the middle, but the line has to get better no matter how you slice it. Those probowlers did make a difference though, cause we had been running the ball well against inferior competition.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
peplaw06 said:
Surprisingly enough not everyone is as doom and gloom as you are. I will be interested to see your take if/when we start out the season on a roll, go to the playoffs, get a win in the playoffs, or win the Super Bowl.

"Sure we won the Super Bowl, but could we have been better?? Next season we're going to have the same issues, JJ sucks, OL sucks, Bledsoe is old, TO is a cancer.... blah blah blah."

No its gonne be

WE shouldnt have won the SB, we sucked you and you guys know it. Next year, Romo is gonna come in and earn us a SB victory, after TO is cut. BOOK IT!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Deep_Freeze said:
Like I said last night, as time passes, we will become more positive, it is just human nature. The reason for 500 yards of offense and 10 points is that we couldn't even think about running in the red zone, so the D could zone into the stopping the pass. If you can't run in the red zone, you will end up kicking (with Vandy missing) field goals.

The pass will have to set up the run for this team. Not every team has 2 probowlers in the middle, but the line has to get better no matter how you slice it. Those probowlers did make a difference though, cause we had been running the ball well against inferior competition.

It was not just that, this team just seemed to be a step slow last night and left some plays on the field. Romo throws a nice long ball to Hurd for a game winning TD and he drops it but for the most part Hurd did a good job in the game. I'm not blaming anyone for the loss quite frankly my main concern was to get out of the game without any major injuries so I think we accomplished that. Tackling especially on 3rd down was horrid but I don't think that will continue to be the case. All in all it was a strange game, I'm just glad pre-season is done. Lastly only big concern I have is with our kicking game and run blocking I hope and expect that to improve

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
X-Dawg said:

Yawn... second verse, same as the first...

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
peplaw06 said:

Naw, it'll be "I knew it all along, I never doubted them"...

It'll be the following offseason that we'll get the same mindless carping...

Cowboy from New York

Reaction score
Atleast for our first game, we are going in healthy where the Jags have lost Greg Jones and their MLB is still highly questionable.
Also, their offensive line had leftwhich take a pounding in the 3rd preseason games and allowed I believe 3 sacks last night in the early going.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
It was not just that, this team just seemed to be a step slow last night and left some plays on the field. Romo throws a nice long ball to Hurd for a game winning TD and he drops it but for the most part Hurd did a good job in the game. I'm not blaming anyone for the loss quite frankly my main concern was to get out of the game without any major injuries so I think we accomplished that. Tackling especially on 3rd down was horrid but I don't think that will continue to be the case. All in all it was a strange game, I'm just glad pre-season is done. Lastly only big concern I have is with our kicking game and run blocking I hope and expect that to improve

Yeah, I'm looking at small techincal details (in my engineering nature, lol), but you are right, the team just didn't show up to play in general.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:

I hear ya and want to share in your optimism... but like BP says, "We need to see something"