Age of our Current Roster, Youth Movement?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I just wanted to see the average age of our team, we're a young team there's not many players on the roster that are 30+ years old. We have a lot of youth, I think we should continue to go with this youth movement. Forget the old way of doing things, it's a young person's game now. They do things differently, you have to coach them differently, there are changes from the players union affecting players in how they practice. These young guys are just different, let's go for it, please give your thoughts

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/roster/_/name/dal/dallas-cowboys

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My thought is .... why did you not post the actual average instead of relying that some would actually click on the link. :muttley:

They have been one of the youngest teams for a long time now.
They keep it that way by keeping all of their draft picks regardless if they deserve to make the team or not.

What teams need, yes is that youth, but also need some good old savvy vets they can learn from, and those middle tier type players that can take over for the older players.

You can't have all 1 and 2 and 3 year players, unless you are in a complete rebuild. Such as the early Dallas teams. Even then they had a mix of older players.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I just wanted to see the average age of our team, we're a young team there's not many players on the roster that are 30+ years old. We have a lot of youth, I think we should continue to go with this youth movement. Forget the old way of doing things, it's a young person's game now. They do things differently, you have to coach them differently, there are changes from the players union affecting players in how they practice. These young guys are just different, let's go for it, please give your thoughts

Waited average snap age is what matters. A bunch of young players who don't play means basically nothing.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
My thought is .... why did you not post the actual average instead of relying that some would actually click on the link. :muttley:

They keep it that way by keeping all of their draft picks regardless if they deserve to make the team or not.

What teams need, yes is that youth, but also need some good old savvy vets they can learn from, and those middle tier type players that can take over for the older players.

You can't have all 1 and 2 and 3 year players, unless you are in a complete rebuild. Such as the early Dallas teams. Even then they had a mix of older players.
Let's go from 2-4 years instead of all these 1 2 3 numbers, tell me that there's some players in this year range that are better than guys who've been here longer on this team. The youth movement is real, I agree veteran leadership is much needed hence the signing of Kendricks. I believe he can whip these young LB's into great great shape!! Martin on the OL can help these young guys out immensely

12+88=7

Reaction score
Of the projected 53 there would be seven players over age 30. That's a good number.

Of the projected 53 there are nine players that have played for another organization. Rush and Elliott spent one year on other teams or that number would be seven.

Dallas builds through the draft and with their success in the draft maintains a young team year to year.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Let's go from 2-4 years instead of all these 1 2 3 numbers, tell me that there's some players in this year range that are better than guys who've been here longer on this team. The youth movement is real, I agree veteran leadership is much needed hence the signing of Kendricks. I believe he can whip these young LB's into great great shape!! Martin on the OL can help these young guys out immensely
When you have 3 to 5 highly paid vets, you can only afford a bunch of young players around them.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Of the projected 53 there would be seven players over age 30. That's a good number.

Of the projected 53 there are nine players that have played for another organization. Rush and Elliott spent one year on other teams or that number would be seven.

Dallas builds through the draft and with their success in the draft maintains a young team year to year.
only if we can get this mixture to finish stronger

Chasing6

Reaction score

Dallas builds thru the draft, undrafted FA's, and FA's nobody else wants.

TwentyOne

Reaction score

This is an old narrative used by franchises who lost games: We need to get younger.

When teams are young and lose games they say: Our players are young without experience. This was a good season. Next year we will be better.

Its always about negating bad play so you can sell your product to your fans or viewers. Never has it something to do with real truth.

If you have a good player you can win with him, regardless wether he is 20 or 30.

Chasing6

Reaction score
This is an old narrative used by franchises who lost games: We need to get younger.

When teams are young and lose games they say: Our players are young without experience. This was a good season. Next year we will be better.

Its always about negating bad play so you can sell your product to your fans or viewers. Never has it something to do with real truth.

If you have a good player you can win with him, regardless if he is 20 or 30.
If they are younger and actually playing on the field, then and only then is it a good sign.

Havic

Reaction score
When you have no cap from bad contracts past / current, youth is about all you will find.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Thank you for your thoughts...

Chasing6

Reaction score
Cowboys have been one of the youngest teams in the league for years.
On the field or on the sidelines?

In fact, Green Bay's offensive SWA(snap waited average) of 24.6 is the youngest we've ever tracked, taking the crown from the 2014 Jaguars (24.7). The 2014 Jaguars were terrible, with an offensive DVOA of -27.1%.Apr 5, 2024

Last edited: