Aikman: No Witten, For Cowboys No Playoffs

Doctor32

Hi-Definition Warrior
Reaction score
On KTCK 1310 AM The ticket this morning with The Musers, Aikman was asked about a bold declaration he made during the Washington game last Sunday. I was at the game, and missed it when I watched it Monday, but apparently Aikman said that Witten makes this offense go. Without Witten, this team would struggle to get into the playoffs.(Paraphrasing)

He said that defensive coordinators around the league consistently say that Witten is the 1 player that you have to account for throughout the entire game.
Interesting...
Aikman went on to rank the value of the offensive weapons for Dallas:
1. Romo
2. Witten
3. Owens
4. Barber

His reasoning made sense to me. Did anyone else hear this. or find it thought provoking?

khiladi

Reaction score
How did we perform last year with a busted up TO?

Boysboy

Reaction score
khiladi;2303563 said:

I agree, the loss of either TO *or* Witten would hurt this offense tremendously. If EITHER is gone, then you can just double cover the other and play 8 men in the box.

Owens' loss would be a bit worse b/c we would be missing alot more speed.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
khiladi;2303563 said:

We've never had to see what a game without Witten would be like. However, I would agree 100% with Aikman.

A loss of Witten would absolutely cripple the offense. You think teams double TO now? Take Witten out and TO might see triple coverage.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Most important players on offense are.
  • Flozell Adams on pass plays
  • BIGG Davis on run plays.
:cool:

Reaction score
Doctor32;2303558 said:
On KTCK 1310 AM The ticket this morning with The Musers, Aikman was asked about a bold declaration he made during the Washington game last Sunday. I was at the game, and missed it when I watched it Monday, but apparently Aikman said that Witten makes this offense go. Without Witten, this team would struggle to get into the playoffs.(Paraphrasing)

He said that defensive coordinators around the league consistently say that Witten is the 1 player that you have to account for throughout the entire game.
Interesting...
1. Romo
2. Witten
3. Owens
4. Barber

His reasoning made sense to me. Did anyone else hear this. or find it thought provoking?

I agree!

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doctor32;2303558 said:
Interesting...
1. Romo
2. Witten
3. Owens
The loss of any of those 3 and we are in deep doo-doo.

shnagy

Reaction score
I agree somewhat with this, but I think losing Owens would be worse. Owens is our one true deep threat. Behind Witten is two capable back-ups. There would be a drop off in talent there, but not as much of a drop off as Owens to his backups.

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
I shudder at the thought of playing without T.O., he makes everyone's job easier because of the defensive attention he gets. That being said, I agree with Aikman that we would be in deep without Witten. He's so reliable and consistent. At the rate he's going and at age 26, he's looking to be a hall of fame type player.

Two other things that come to mind after hearing Aikman's comments. One of the most respected defensive minds in the game, Belichick, when they played last year decided to focus on taking Witten out of the game. And I liked John Madden's comments about #82 in the Green Bay game (paraphrasing): "I'll take that guy on my team and I don't care what game we're playing." That sums up Jason Witten.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
That isn't really thought provoking. He's just picking a different guy to talk about. If we lost any of the trio of Romo, Owens, or Witten this offense would be in HUGE trouble.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I don't care what anybody says. When Owens gets going, this offense is running at its best. He got going in the Cleveland game early and they had a field day against the Browns. He didn't have a huge day against Philly, but has a big first half and that forced Philly to adjust and Dallas scored 41 points.

But the games Dallas "struggled", he didn't really get going (although his Washington game was decent). Yes, opposing teams have to account for Witten and he's a great weapon, but when Owens is going early, opposing defenses have to make much more drastic changes which helps the rest of the offense.

YAKUZA

Don Corleone

Reaction score
Boysboy;2303575 said:
I agree, the loss of either TO *or* Witten would hurt this offense tremendously. If EITHER is gone, then you can just double cover the other and play 8 men in the box.

Owens' loss would be a bit worse b/c we would be missing alot more speed.

Not to worry. Many in this forum tell me that Miles Austin and Patrick Crayton are a formidable duo, and Austin is a potential #1 receiver. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Don Corleone;2303887 said:
Not to worry. Many in this forum tell me that Miles Austin and Patrick Crayton are a formidable duo, and Austin is a potential #1 receiver. :rolleyes:

Not me.....

Number 1 WR's are drafted in rounds 1-4.... and quick someone google me some 5th-7th rounders that are.

Not D2 college QB's and Northeastern conference stand outs..

joseephuss

Reaction score
McCordsville Cowboy;2303896 said:
Not me.....

Number 1 WR's are drafted in rounds 1-4.... and quick someone google me some 5th-7th rounders that are.

Not D2 college QB's and Northeastern conference stand outs..

Marques Colston. :D

TwentyOne

Reaction score
khiladi;2303563 said:

Yep. And because of that i would say

1 Oline
2 Witten & TO
3 Romo