Alex Smith' Pro Day

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/8297183

All 32 teams were represented at the workout, including San Diego, who had originally decided not to attend but changed their mind. Over 100 personnel were there, including Lions offensive coordinator Ted Tollner, Browns GM Phil Savage and scout Bill Reese, Cardinals executive Rod Graves, 49ers head coach Mike Nolan and offensive coordinator Mike McCarthy and Dolphins new head coach Nick Saban. That's naming just a few.

Smith did positional drills only indoors at the D. Glen Smith Center. He threw to Utah receivers Steve Savoy and Paris Warren and running back Marty Johnson. All three of those guys are draft eligible, so they were working out for the scouts as well.

I've been coming to private workouts for decades, but this is the first time I can remember a player receiving a standing ovation from his audience. He was lights out. Smith threw for 45 minutes, and in that time, only one ball wasn't catchable, and that was at the end of the session when Savoy's tongue was hanging out after being run all over the field.

Larry Kennan, now the head of the NFL coaches' association, ran the workout. Smith was previously thought of as a shotgun quarterback because of Utah's offense, but Smith and Kennan mapped out a great scripted workout that saw Smith make all the throws -- three-step drops, five-step drops, play-action passes, deep passes, crossing routes, roll-out passes and of course the deep routes. In fact, Smith threw 62 yards to a receiver standing on the goal line, and the pass was perfect.

They don't call this "Money Week" for nothing, and I am sure that Smith feels like he helped himself get into position to be the first quarterback taken, and possibly the first player taken, in April's draft.

Have to give props to my Utah boy. :D