News: Alex Tanney leaves Cowboys for Browns

TrailBlazer

Reaction score
Good for him. Hopefully they give him a shot in a real game. He's got panache. But I don't think he will pan out to be anything more than a backup.

Hardline

Reaction score
His future was not in the Cowboys uniform anyway. Romo is the starter for at least 4 more years .The next starting QB for Dallas is still playing high school football.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I wouldn't put money on that.

I think you need to go have a look at his new contract................Over $10 million per year in guaranteed money, that is not even counting his base salary...............unless you want to take a $30-$40 million cap hit and gut the entire team, it is not even feasible to discuss getting rid of Romo until at least 3 more years come off his contract.

Now if he restructures, since we are currently $31 million over next years cap, the team will convert even more base salary into guaranteed money so that it can be prorated even more. That will have the effect of even a bigger cap hit if he is traded or released.

BOTTOM LINE...................With his new contract, especially with a restructure, it will be financially impossible to trade or release Romo until at least 3 to 4 additional years come off his contract. Most likely we are looking at around 2017 until that can happen. Yes, Romo's replacement is playing high school football right now or in his redshirt season in college.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I wouldn't put money on that.

I think four years is a reasonable expectation. I don't doubt that he'll be the starting quarterback for at least three more after this one unless something happens to him healthwise.