All Underated Team- nfldraftblitz

Natedawg44

Reaction score
All Underrated Team

By: Rob Bryant

4/7/06

Here are a few players that are underrated and will most likely be great value at the spot they will eventually be drafted at:

1. OLB Manny Lawson, 6-5 240, NC State

I really don’t understand why he isn’t considered a top ten pick. He is every bit the prospect DeMacus Ware was last year who was taken 11th overall. Lawson is an incredible athlete; he qualified for four state indoor track events (long jump, triple jump, 55 meter hurdles and 55 meter sprint) and was the fastest linebacker at the NFL Combine running a 4.43 forty. But forget about all that, he is not just a track guy, he can play the game off football, last year he recorded 58 tackles, 19.5 tackles for loss, 10.5 sacks, 4 pass break ups, 14 QB hurries, 1 blocked kick, and 1 forced fumble. Lawson will be a coaches dream because he is also a special teams ace, he has been playing special teams since he was a freshman and has blocked 7 kicks in his career. A perfect fit to play OLB in the 34 defense and he will have to bulk up a bit for the NFL, but he has all the tools to be a future star.

2. DE Tamba Hali, 6-3 275, Penn State

A lot of people have really soured on Hali because of a poor post season; he just didn’t run a good forty at the NFL combine (approximately 4.80) and has seen his stock plummet. But let’s not forget the kid can play the game of football. His production in the talented Big 10 was impressive indeed. Here is what he did last year: Was named Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year, he led the Big 10 in sacks with 11 for minus 79 yards, and tied for the conference lead with 17 tackles for loss, he also recorded 62 tackles, 3 pass break-ups and 1 forced fumble in which Penn State recovered in the closing minutes to preserve a 17-10 win over Ohio State. Hali might not be a workout warrior, but he is a gamer who makes big plays in big games.

3. C/G Chris Chester, 6-3 303, Oklahoma

Chester will be a project, but might have the most upside of any offensive lineman in this draft. A converted tight end and has missed some time due to injury, in 2003 he had a MCL sprain and as a senior was switched to the interior around mid season, starting 6 games and playing very well. Chester added 25 pounds of muscle last year, but didn’t lose any speed, he ran a 4.87 forty at the combine and had the best 3-cone time of any offensive lineman. Chester is inexperienced indeed, but has the potential to be a quality interior lineman, well suited to block on the move. With a couple years to develop he could be a great value anywhere after the 3rd round.

4. OT Paul McQuistan, 6-6 310, Weber State

Probably the best tackle that no one has heard of. Playing at the Division 1AA level he has mostly flown under the radar; that is until the combine. Prototype size, he was one of the most agile tackles at the combine, Paul ran a 5.10 forty and has long arms (35’ 5”) but still manage to do 27 reps at 225 pounds. Notable draft guru Gil Brandt just raves about this kid. He will probably slip to the 6-7th round due to his small school heritage, but could end up being a quality starter in the NFL.

5. ILB James Anderson, 6-2 225, Virginia Tech

Zach Thomas, Dat Nguyen, Jonathan Vilma, Lofa Tatupu. What do all these players have in common with James Anderson? They are all undersized middle linebackers that are excellent football players. Anderson is the complete package of production, speed and athletic ability. Anderson always seems to be around the ball, last year as a senior he recorded 82 tackles, 8.5 tackles for loss, 3 sacks, 4 pass break ups, 2 forced fumbles, I pass break up and 1 interception. On top of the impressive production on the field he was one of the most impressive athletes at the NFL Combine where he ran a 4.64 forty, had a 41 inch vertical jump and a 10-1 broad jump. Frank Beamer’s players are well noted to be good special team players and Anderson is no exception. With so many quality linebackers in this draft Anderson will probably fall to the second day but should be a steal in the 4th round.

6. TE Tony Scheffler, 6-6 255, Western Michigan

Tony is everything you want in a pass catching TE (Tight End), but this TE class is so deep and talented Tony will probably slip into the 3-4th round. TE Vernon Davis ran such a good 40 at the combine Tony’s workout kind of went unnoticed, but Tony had probably just as good of a workout, running a 4.57 forty and finishing 1st in all the agility drills. A lot of scouts are going back and looking at his game film and are realizing he is not just a workout warrior. Tony had an impressive senior season catching 57 balls with 9 TDs and an 11.8 yard average. He needs to get in the weight room and add some muscle to improve his blocking at the point of attack but he has the ability to stretch the field and will create mismatches with his speed.

7. WR Brandon Marshall, 6-5 225, Central Florida (UCF)

I have been raving about him all year, and the reason I like him so much is because of how much he has improved in such a short amount of time. Marshall played safety his junior year so he is still learning the position, but when you watch him play you just shake your head, everybody knows he is going to get the ball but no one can stop him. In his teams’ post season bowl game against Nevada (Hawaii Bowl) Marshall broke a Hawaii Bowl record by gaining the most receiving yards (210). In a losing effort Marshall finished with 11 catches for 210 yards and three touchdowns. He was named UCF's MVP. And then a few weeks later in the 2006 Hula Bowl Marshal got to compete against some of the best players in the country and it was pretty much the Brandon Marshall show, he caught five passes for 101 yards and the game-winning touchdown to lead the East to a 10-7 victory over the West at Aloha Stadium in Honolulu. That was his second game in Aloha Stadium in less that a month, and including both games he recorded 16 catches for 311 yards and 4 TDs in the post season. After an initial combine snub he was a late addition and he went on to prove he has the speed to create separation at the next level where he ran a 4.52 forty yard dash. Marshall is the closest thing to Terrell Owens in this draft and I don’t mean that in a bad way.

8. LB Terna Nande, 6-0 230, Miami (OH)

He reminds me of DE Chris Canty from last years draft in the sense that he might slip to due injury concerns. He played in just 6 games as a senior due to a lacerated liver, but still recorded 44 tackles, 4 tackles for a loss, 1 pass break up and 3 QB hurries. In the two years before his injury filled senior year, he recorded a combined: 195 tackles, 29 tackles for loss, 9 sacks, 4 interceptions and 11 pass break ups. Nande is a little short and that will also cause him to slip, but he has been very productive player on the field and he went to the NFL Combine and created quite the stir when he lifted 225 pounds 41 times! That is unheard of for a linebacker. He also ran an impressive 4.53 forty, 39 vertical jump and 10’ 4” broad jump. Nande might have the power to play inside and the speed to play outside. I don’t care that he is only 6 foot, the guy can play football and should be a great value anywhere after round three.

tm1119

Reaction score

Chester will be a project, but might have the most upside of any offensive lineman in this draft. A converted tight end and has missed some time due to injury, in 2003 he had a MCL sprain and as a senior was switched to the interior around mid season, starting 6 games and playing very well. Chester added 25 pounds of muscle last year, but didn’t lose any speed, he ran a 4.87 forty at the combine and had the best 3-cone time of any offensive lineman. Chester is inexperienced indeed, but has the potential to be a quality interior lineman, well suited to block on the move. With a couple years to develop he could be a great value anywhere after the 3rd round.

^^

sounds interesting, a very athletic gaurd with decent size. not sure what round he will go in but wouldnt be a bad risk in the 5th or 6th.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
brandon Marshall and manny lawson look pretty interesting.... it would be nice to get some good value with our 3rd round pick,
it does hurt not having a 4th round pickthough... that is a crucial value pick spot

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Natedawg44 said:
All Underrated Team

By: Rob Bryant

4/7/06

Here are a few players that are underrated and will most likely be great value at the spot they will eventually be drafted at:

Wow. won't quote the whole article...But great info...thanks !

Chuck 54

Reaction score
parchy said:
Who in the hell is underrating Hali and Lawson?!?!
He thinks they're underrated because no one has them going in round 1 and they seem to be slipping.

Bluefin

Reaction score
1. OLB Manny Lawson, 6-5 240, NC State

I really don’t understand why he isn’t considered a top ten pick. He is every bit the prospect DeMacus Ware was last year who was taken 11th overall.
I completely agree.

After a great showing in the week of practices leading up to the Senior Bowl, a few writers even said Lawson best compared to DeMarcus Ware.

And he won't be making the leap in competition coming from the ACC Ware faced coming from lower division 1-A.

I hope Lawson's our target because it looks like he will be on the board.

J-DOG

Reaction score
This guy needs to shut up about Brandon Marshall!
He sucks!
He's slow and suffers from bi-polar disease.
He also sells crack on the side.
This guy's not even worth talking about...Shhhhhhh!!!!!!

Brandon Marshall who???????
He's a reach in the draft.
Shhhhh!
Central Florida has a team????

All sarcasm aside....Marshall is one of the great sleeper's in this draft.
THis guy shows all the tools needed to make it in the NFL.
Saw the Hula Bowl game and he did look like a man amongst boys.
But keep this guy on the down-low!!!!!!!!!
Shhhhhhhhhh!

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Marshall is the wr I've been eyeing, but I haven't seen him play. Just how good are his hands?

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
tm1119 said:

^^

sounds interesting, a very athletic gaurd with decent size. not sure what round he will go in but wouldnt be a bad risk in the 5th or 6th.

Chester will go in the 3rd round at the latest, might slip into the 2nd round... center is probably where he'll wind up in the NFL...

J-DOG

Reaction score
speedkilz88 said:
Marshall is the wr I've been eyeing, but I haven't seen him play. Just how good are his hands?
I only watched him in the Hula Bowl game and was wondering why I haven't heard of him before.
In that game they mentioned that he played safety in his junior season and had only 1 season as a wr.
Two plays stood out to me in that game.
1.He caught 2 slants that were in traffic and was strong enough to carry guys after the catch. Didn't look aprehensive at all going across the middle.
2.He caught a fade route for a td in that game and made a one-handed tipped catch with a db hanging all over him. Db was called for interference but it didn't matter.
Someone on another board said Marshall reminded them of a TO clone without the baggage.
He's definitely a physical mismatch against cb's. He had no trouble against bump and run as he just over-powered cb's at the line of scrimmage.