Alonzo Highsmith ARK

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
6-1 #230

It’s been a long summer so far,” Highsmith said Wednesday as the Razorbacks reported for fall camp. “I’m ready to put the pads on and show what I can do.”

Highsmith, a junior college All-American who transferred in from Phoenix College, finds himself immediately in a position battle as he’ll open camp this afternoon at weakside, or "Will," linebacker. The 2010 starter at that spot, Anthony Leon, exhausted his eligibility and is now a rookie free agent with the Baltimore Ravens.

Highsmith will be competing with senior Bret Harris and sophomore Jarrett Lake to see who will be among the starting 11 when the Razorbacks open the season Sept. 3 at home against Missouri State. Terrell Williams entered the spring atop the depth chart at Will linebacker, but he has been moved middle linebacker.

Playing in the SEC is a big jump from what Highsmith saw in the junior college ranks. But Highsmith – whose father, Alonzo, played running back at the University of Miami and in the NFL, and whose brother, A.J., plays defensive back at Miami – feels like he’s ready for it.

“That’s what you work hard for, put yourself in those situations. I feel like I’m in a great situation now and am going to make the most of it,” said Highsmith, a Missouri City, Texas, native who had 94 tackles, including 12 for loss and four sacks, in 2010 at Phoenix College.

Highsmith has spent the summer working out with his Razorback teammates and said he’s so comfortable at the UA now that it feels like he went through spring practices with the Hogs. He said he weighs about 230 pounds after being listed at 220 on Phoenix College’s roster last season.

“When I came in, they told me they wanted me to gain weight, focus on putting the weight on and getting stronger,” he said. “As far as getting acclimated, I felt like I did pretty well. Caught on fast. I’m just ready to roll now. Personally, a goal of mine is be part of that starting 11 on defense and go out and win that BCS