Alot of optimism and ALOT of questions

STSINAZ

Reaction score
Going into this season there is alot of optimism because as a fan you want your team to do well. You always hope for the best. I think there are several questions on this team that need to be answered IMO...if these players dont step up we can still go 8-8 or so...we have enough depth and talent for that...but IF THEY DO step up we can go pretty deep in the playoffs...

Which Marco Rivera will we see? The one from a few years ago or last year. Last we heard he was still having some problems. If that is so Stephen Peterman better have turned the corner because we know what we are going to get from Gurode and who knows about Proctor.

Which Rob Pettiti will we see? The rookie of the new guy we have all been hearing about? We will see when the bullets start flying. Fabini or Columbo could pickup the slack if the rook shows his face again IMO.

Will Flozell start the false starts? Who knows...but I do know one thing he hurt us last year while he was on the field and while he was gone.

Is this guy Kosier the real deal? If he isnt we are in trouble I can tell you that.

Can Al Johnson finally hold down the fort at his position? We heard all about how this guy was going to be good once he was drafted but we havent seen it. He has been pretty much a liability out there. Can he step up? It's do or die time for him IMO.

Will TO shut up? NO he wont...we know that...the whole thing will hinge on this for him...what will he do when other teamates are getting the ball because he is a decoy? AND What will he do the first time Parcells crosses him? or better yet WHEN IT APPEARS to him that he has crossed him? TO is not thick skinned...this whole thing could unravel by the end of the year with Parcells leaving and TO being the final straw because you know that Jerrah is going to take TO's side with whatever happens...especially if BP is gone pretty soon. At least after George, Wiley, Price, Henson...etc...this will be the final straw if TO gets out of line which may not be too far...

If TO gets in trouble who is going to step up for us?

Can JJ run behind a two tight-end set...he has never been able to before...will he even hold up for 16 games? I dont think he can unless he gets less than 20 carries a game...anything over that number will diminish his ability to stay healthy...i think bp knows that now...marion barber will get 15 carries a game IMO...we need JJ for the possible homerun...gotta keep him fresh...marion can tire them down for that homerun...you will see something different this year in parcells approach IMO...he already said marion is going to get more carries...

Can drew bledsoe step up if the o line falters? I dont think so...he has never proven that...so really this is already an answered question...

What will BP do with TO this year? will he treach him differently than the other coaches? Who knows...

Can the young defensive players take that next step to greatness...this IMO is the most likely to happen out of all the questions....Spears, Canty, Ware...all will play at a high level this year and bolster our defensive to greatness...we have all the ingredients for it...tough up the middle with the addition of AKIN...tough on both ends with the addition of bobby carpenter...al S gained some weight too...we are strong at corner...and now we have two more possibilities at FS...someone has to pan out IMO...we also have passrushing depth...I dont know why BP is so set on ellis except for the role that he has planned out for him to trick defenses....because Ware, Canty, Hatcher and Ratliff will be in opposing backfields all day long wreaking havoc on opposing teams...watch it happen...

lspain1

Reaction score
STSINAZ said:
Going into this season there is alot of optimism because as a fan you want your team to do well. You always hope for the best. I think there are several questions on this team that need to be answered IMO...if these players dont step up we can still go 8-8 or so...we have enough depth and talent for that...but IF THEY DO step up we can go pretty deep in the playoffs...

Can the young defensive players take that next step to greatness...this IMO is the most likely to happen out of all the questions....Spears, Canty, Ware...all will play at a high level this year and bolster our defensive to greatness...we have all the ingredients for it...tough up the middle with the addition of AKIN...tough on both ends with the addition of bobby carpenter...al S gained some weight too...we are strong at corner...and now we have two more possibilities at FS...someone has to pan out IMO...we also have passrushing depth...I dont know why BP is so set on ellis except for the role that he has planned out for him to trick defenses....because Ware, Canty, Hatcher and Ratliff will be in opposing backfields all day long wreaking havoc on opposing teams...watch it happen...

Good summary STS. The pre-season hype for the Cowboys somewhat ignores the fact that the Cowbys faded badly last season after a fast start. This season the Cowboys have more depth but need to 'assimilate' that depth quickly because the first part of the schedule has a long brutal road stretch.

I believe that the Cowboys defense must take the step forward for the Cowboys to go deep inot the playoffs this season. Everyone understands the OL needs to improve, but it is unliklely the OL will be anything better than middle of the pack this year (too many questions to answer all at once). If the defense can make that step, then the OL can be mediocre and we can still win.

We need (it all seems so simple) a better pass rush this season and our front seven must deliver that much of the time. We need to be able to generate a pass rush when we are not in the nickel. We need more innovative schemes to mask our pass rush. We must be better at stopping the run than we were at the end of last season. Questions remain on the defense but there are fewer of them than on the offense IMO.

My popcorn is ready.

burmafrd

Reaction score
There has been nothing bad about Rivera, Adams, Pettiti, Kosier that I have heard. All word is of the good.
I really cannot figure out how intelligent people keep thinking that JJ cannot handle the load. The 2 injuries he got were of the type that could happen to ANYONE and they happened early in games- not late. You DO remember that he tied the great Earl Campbell's record for 30+ carries 3 games in a row? That 8 game stretch BP was trying to see if he could take the load and he averaged 24 carries a game. There is no reason in the world that he cannot handle 20 per game- which is where BP wants him to be. MB will get 10 or so per game and TT will get 5 or so. BP wants to run 35 a game and that is pretty much how it will go.

Cowboys&Caps

Reaction score
lspain1 said:
Good summary STS. The pre-season hype for the Cowboys somewhat ignores the fact that the Cowbys faded badly last season after a fast start.

this must be attributed to many rookies playing large roles (rookies are not used to playing 20 games they have never played more than 12 or 13. Also, Injuries.