Video: AM: Every Passing TD Against The Cowboys Secondary

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Heath gets far too many bad reviews based upon what happened to him when he got thrown to the wolves in his rookie year. Many fans here at CZ are too overanxious to prematurely pass judgment upon players long before their development is duly established; then refuse to reconsider. Heath has come a long way in terms of his development with the Cowboys since his early days with the team. He's simply not the same player that he was back then.

Last edited:

Supercowboy1986

Reaction score
I can agee with this, not just regarding JH but all players.

It’s the mentality that if JH (or insert x player instead of JH) makes one bad play, it automatically makes JH a bad player until he retires.

I call it the one strike and you’re out syndrome.

Heath gets far too many bad reviews based upon what happened to him when he got thrown to the wolves in his rookie year. Many fans here at CZ are too overanxious to prematurely pass judgment upon players long before their development is duly established; then refuse to reconsider. Heath has come a long way in terms of his development with the Cowboys since his early days with the team. He's simply not the same player that he was back then.

InTheZone

Reaction score
No matter how much footage defends a player we have people stuck in their mindset or fail to admit they were wrong about said player. Great vid, I'm glad he puts these out because his footage basically backs how I feel about a lot of the players he's covered. Glad I'm not the only one sick of selective bashing. I have said before, years ago I disliked/hated Heath. Every year I slowly got away from that and he's become one of my favorites. I simply don't start liking players for no reason, especially after wanting them gone.

I'm just waiting to hear JH haters respond to this. It'll be something along the lines of, "you casuals forgot what good DB play is like so you settle"...but yet we don't hear a peep of hate from these people against the rest of the defense. Some people...it's easy to see they're actually talking down to themselves

Last edited:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I think this is exactly it. Heath isn't a standout player (highlight reels just make it look that way), but he is at least an average or maybe a little above average safety. He's not at all the dog many claim him to be. I'm convinced for a lot of people it's still based on a lingering image of his rookie year where, like you said, he was thrown to the wolves (due to injuries to others).

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Nice compilation and analysis.

His verdict: Jeff Heath's Not Guilty

As this video shows, Heath can be physical against the run game, coming up to deliver a hit. What it doesn't show is how when he has to break down against the run, he doesn't do as well, and the same when he has to negotiate through traffic.

Heath is a back-end safety who delivers a blow when he can attack on the run. He's not an underneath safety who can handle run defense as a primary responsibility. Dallas removed him from that role early last season because he couldn't handle it. ... So Heath is not guilty of being a decent free safety, but he is guilty of being a poor strong safety (just like Byron Jones). The problem is that Dallas seems to want Xavier Woods to be its free safety, which leaves Heath competing for a role he's not really suited to play unless Dallas tweaks the responsibilities of its safety positions.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Enjoyable video and it gives some perspective on the entire secondary.

Guys I thought player better, like Chido and Lewis, had more issues than I thought.

While guys like Heath and Jones who I thought had more issues, actually had less.

conner01

Reaction score
Enjoyable video and it gives some perspective on the entire secondary.

Guys I thought player better, like Chido and Lewis, had more issues than I thought.

While guys like Heath and Jones who I thought had more issues, actually had less.
Sometimes watching the game you think one guy messed up but after watching the film to figure out is was another

Number1

Reaction score
I'd note the CBs all looked non aggressive and playing a step behind - but intense. a full off season and we'll what we get.

Other than Jones at RCB and Heath at SS who knows who plays where - Rod probably hasn't made many decisions yet