American News, Aberdeen, S.D., Ryan Deal column: Pro football eyeing OT Noethlich

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
American News, Aberdeen, S.D., Ryan Deal column: Pro football eyeing Noethlich
By Ryan Deal, American News, Aberdeen, S.D.
Jan. 18--Bill Noethlich played in a state championship game for Doland-Conde. He started 41 career games at Southwest Minnesota State. Perhaps the most important game he has ever played in was two weeks ago.

The offensive tackle played in the Cactus Bowl, which is a Division II all-star game, on Jan. 8 at Kingsville, Texas.

"It was definitely the biggest opportunity that I have ever been approached with in my life," said the 6-foot-7, 301-pound Noethlich. "It was probably one of the most important games I have played in for sure, but it was a great opportunity playing against the best. When you are in a game like that and you are playing against the best and you are successful, then there is only more opportunities that you create for yourself."

Noethlich played for the West team which won the all-star game 16-0 over the East team. Noethlich flew down to Texas the Saturday before the game and participated in the activities leading up to the game. The 85 players chosen to play in the game went through practice, NFL scouting drills and tests.

"I think I did pretty well," said Noethlich about the tests. "I will have a couple of pro days in March that I will definitely need to do a little better in."

Noethlich said that the NFL scouts watched the players practice all week long. He also sat down with some scouts and answered questions.

"It was extremely in depth," said Noethlich, who added there were between 40-50 scouts in Texas. "They want to know everything about your life. They asked me my entire life story. Where I was born? How I got to be in South Dakota? How I ended up playing in Southwest? What I thought of my college career? What I thought about my high school career? They absolutely want to know everything about you."

J'Marcus Webb of West Texas A&M and Matt Hanson of Midwestern State (Texas) were the other offensive tackles on his team. Noethlich did not start the game, but he said he played pretty much the entire game and played both left tackle and right tackle.

"Right before the game, we were in the locker room and the coach is like 'Well we are not sure who we want to start or which two of the three that deserve to start,'" said Noethlich. "Because we all three did so well throughout the week and so we actually drew. They just kind of drew out of a hat right there right before the game for who was going to be the starters and I ended up not being the name drawn."

Noethlich's versatility to play both right and left tackle was enough to impress an NFL Draft Web site. According to www.cdsdraft.com, Noethlich's overview was: Made a nice showing at the DII Cactus Bowl (1-9-10) where he played both LOT and ROT and was impressive in the week of practice preceding the game. Noethlich's strengths according to the site: Pro size, and nice growth potential. Showed he could play versus the nation's best DII athletes in the DII Cactus Bowl and did well.

The Web site also said there was not enough film to comment on his weaknesses and projected him as an undrafted free agent. The site also graded some of the players who had a three-star performance and a two-star performance. The site graded Noethlich as a two-star performance and said he is now on everyone's radar.

Ryan Deal is an American News Sports Writer who can be reached at (605) 622-2305 or rdeal@aberdeennews.com.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;3245647 said:
Oh boy it must be draft time.

cowboyjoe making 300 threads about division 2 googlers.

hey slate, you never know, might be a jewel in there somewhere, we need to find some more erik williams that was taken in 3rd round; a leon lett or jay ratliff taken in 7th round, or a bill bates, tony romo or miles austin undrafted

so i always post what i can find, then some of u might have seen some of them play