Anatomy of a prospect: Arizona WR Mike Thomas

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Dont misunderstand me, I like the guy, but he sure is short, what are your thoughts?

Anatomy of a prospect: Arizona WR Mike Thomas
3:00 PM Sat, Apr 18, 2009 | Permalink
Rick Gosselin E-mail News tips

Take one look at Mike Thomas and you see a commodity the NFL does not want -- a 5-7 1/2 wide receiver. Big people play at the next level and big people survive.

But the more you look at Thomas, the more you like him -- which is why he's going to turn up in this draft in the middle rounds. What he lacks in size, he makes up in speed. Thomas ran a 4.30 40-yard dash for the NFL at the combine. That showed the NFL he certainly has the speed to play at the next level. Thomas also launched a vertical jump of 40 1/2 inches, so he has the athletic ability to play at the next level as well.

I saved the best for last -- watch tape of what Thomas does with the football in his hands. He was a two-time All-Pac 10 selection as a wide receiver. He leaves Arizona as the Pac 10's all-time leading receiver with 259 receptions. He also was a two-time All-Pac 10 choice as a kick returner and leaves campus with career averages of 23.5 yards on kickoffs and 13 yards on punts. He scored 28 career touchdowns -- 23 on receptions, two on runs and two on kickoff returns.

With the NFL moving more and more toward the pass and the influx of three- and four-receiver sets, Thomas pencils in as an elite slot receiver. Think Steve Smith.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
He may be short, but you can't deny his production. Nor his speed.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
BAT;2735498 said:
He may be short, but you can't deny his production. Nor his speed.

true thats sevreral things you shouldnt overlook in drafting a persons speed or heart.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
cowboyjoe;2735526 said:
true thats sevreral things you shouldnt overlook in drafting a persons speed or heart.

This kid's got loads of both.

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
Am I the only one who thinks the title "Anatomy of a Prospect" is funny?

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
masomenos85;2735551 said:
Am I the only one who thinks the title "Anatomy of a Prospect" is funny?

i thought it was a good read, thats why i posted it;

i know a couple in here like mike thomas, and like i said i like him too, just like johnny knox alittle better;

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
cowboyjoe;2735569 said:
i thought it was a good read, thats why i posted it;

i know a couple in here like mike thomas, and like i said i like him too, just like johnny knox alittle better;

Oh no, I'm not saying anything bad about the article, I've liked reading all of them. I just chuckle every time I see the word anatomy, especially when it's referring to something like the draft, which is all about "measurables". I mean, when you're studying the anatomy of a guy who has performed in the "underwear Olympics"...it just makes me laugh.

As to Mike Thomas, I like him and I think that he'll be a good pro player. I used to have a formula for grading WR prospects and even without crunching the number, I know that he would have graded out highly on my scale. I would have added a flag to the grade because of his height but he has good mass for his size, so I'm not too concerned.

I think that Knox is a better prospect, not by a lot, but I think that Thomas has a better shot of actually panning out, so I like him a bit more.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
masomenos85;2735603 said:
Oh no, I'm not saying anything bad about the article, I've liked reading all of them. I just chuckle every time I see the word anatomy, especially when it's referring to something like the draft, which is all about "measurables". I mean, when you're studying the anatomy of a guy who has performed in the "underwear Olympics"...it just makes me laugh.

As to Mike Thomas, I like him and I think that he'll be a good pro player. I used to have a formula for grading WR prospects and even without crunching the number, I know that he would have graded out highly on my scale. I would have added a flag to the grade because of his height but he has good mass for his size, so I'm not too concerned.

I think that Knox is a better prospect, not by a lot, but I think that Thomas has a better shot of actually panning out, so I like him a bit more.

cool and some good thoughts;