Anatomy of a prospect: Louisville C Eric Wood

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
I like this guy too;

Anatomy of a prospect: Louisville C Eric Wood
10:50 AM Wed, Apr 22, 2009 | Permalink
Rick Gosselin E-mail News tips

There are three elite centers in this draft and all could go from the late first into the early second round: Cal's Alex Mack, Louisville's Eric Wood and Oregon's Max Unger. All three are rated as the top center on different NFL draft boards.

Wood started 49 consecutive games at Louisville and was a two-time All-Big East selection. So he mastered the center position at the college level. Then he played guard at the Senior Bowl, showing the NFL his versatility along the offensive line.

I really like what the Indianapolis Colts did in the 2008 draft. They drafted three of my top five centers on the board and immediately moved two of them to guard. All three -- Mike Pollack, Steve Justice and Jamey Richard -- wound up starting games for the Colts last season. Their presence on the roster gave the Colts the luxury of having four players who could make the center snap (also Pro Bowl center Jeff Saturday) in shotgun formation -- and that's where the league is headed.

Teams cannot allow an injury at the center position to cripple the offense. So there will be a premium on quality centers in this and future drafts. If you intend to pass the ball, depth at center is imperative. That will benefit Mack, Wood and Unger this Saturday.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
The top 3 centers are likely graded out higher than some of the OTs projected to go in the first, but their position group will push them down lower. We need one of these guys. Any of the 3 will do.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
BAT;2741063 said:
The top 3 centers are likely graded out higher than some of the OTs projected to go in the first, but their position group will push them down lower. We need one of these guys. Any of the 3 will do.

totally agree with you Bat, im thinking also the if the cowboys do go to the wildcat position that the cowboys may not be comfortable with Gurode snapping the ball.

thats why they may want a good center prospect and move gurode to guard

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
cowboyjoe;2741131 said:
totally agree with you Bat, im thinking also the if the cowboys do go to the wildcat position that the cowboys may not be comfortable with Gurode snapping the ball.

thats why they may want a good center prospect and move gurode to guard

Great observation Joe. I hope that is the case. Adding smarter, tougher players will make a smarter, tougher team.

Can't keep adding knuckleheads (even supremely talented ones) and not expect a knuckleheaded team.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
BAT;2741139 said:
Great observation Joe. I hope that is the case. Adding smarter, tougher players will make a smarter, tougher team.

Can't keep adding knuckleheads (even supremely talented ones) and not expect a knuckleheaded team.

right bat, now i not trying to throw gurode under the bus, i dont know if it was his fault or romo's for fumbled snaps etc, but it does need to be corrected whatever the problem is;

thats why if you noticed in the senior bowl and other bowl games, the cowboys were strongly looking at Centers first; so had to be a reason for that;

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
cowboyjoe;2741169 said:
right bat, now i not trying to throw gurode under the bus, i dont know if it was his fault or romo's for fumbled snaps etc, but it does need to be corrected whatever the problem is;

thats why if you noticed in the senior bowl and other bowl games, the cowboys were strongly looking at Centers first; so had to be a reason for that;

Do you have any links to these reports? I would love to take a gander at them. Thanks Joe!

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
BAT;2741193 said:
Do you have any links to these reports? I would love to take a gander at them. Thanks Joe!

its way back in the post underneath who are the cowboys looking at, best i remember i read some of that on cowboys.scout.com

adn some other sites links i have
i do remember about the cowboys looking at centers though first couple of days at the senior bowl; so sometimes i take 2 plus 2 and come up with 5 you know, but just my thoughts, why would they be looking at centers more than the other offensive linemen so much;

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
best i remember after they looked at the centers, they looked at watkins OT and Loadholt,