Anatomy of a prospect: Utah CB Sean Smith

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Anatomy of a prospect: Utah CB Sean Smith
3:00 PM Sat, Apr 11, 2009 | Permalink
Rick Gosselin E-mail News tips

The NFL loves big cornerbacks who can run. That's a key reason Ohio State's Malcolm Jenkins sits atop the cornerbackback board in the 2009 draft. He's 6-0, 204 pounds and runs a 4.51 40. That gives Jenkins the chance to compete against both big and small receivers at the next level.

But Sean Smith is bigger and faster than Jenkins. At 6-3, 214 pounds, he's huge by NFL cornerback standards. He also has the longest arms on the cornerback board at 34 5/8 inches. So even if he gets beat on a deep route -- he has 4.50 speed -- the arm length buys him an extra step because the quarterback still must clear his reach with the pass for a completion.

Smith reminds me of Bobby Taylor, another 6-3 cornerback who entered the NFL in the second round. He became a Pro Bowler at Philadelphia and teamed with Troy Vincent earlier this decade to give the Eagles a formidable cornerback tandem. Smith is leaving his senior season on the table at Utah to turn pro early. He was an All-Mountain West selection last season with his five interceptions. Size doesn't slide very far on draft day at any position.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
I think he's going to be a FS in this league - that is going to be scary for the rest of the league as he's going to be a top notch centerfielder for years IMO.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
Yes please........

Get one of the following
Smith, Delmas, Johnson, McBath, Burton or Clemons in that order and I'm a very happy man