Video: Anatomy Of A Tackle: Jourdan Lewis' Perfect Technique

drawandstrike

Reaction score
Don't have time to do any game films so far this year, but did a quick video of Jourdan Lewis' first tackle from Monday night.

In a league in which too many players get stiff armed from trying to take on ball carriers up high, Lewis illustrates perfectly here how to defeat a stiff arm attempt.

The Natural

Reaction score
Big hits get the oohs and aahs but I'll tell you what, very few things impress me more on defense than a corner who can tackle. And I'm not talking about guys that lay wood with their shoulders or kamikaze themselves into the body of the ball carrier, but ones who can break down and make a proper form tackle in open space. It's one of the reasons I'm a big fan of Sherman's game (had a gif of a nice tackle but wont post for some reason), and why I'm excited about this young man Lewis.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
Big hits get the oohs and aahs but I'll tell you what, very few things impress me more on defense than a corner who can tackle. And I'm not talking about guys that lay wood with their shoulders or kamikaze themselves into the body of the ball carrier, but ones who can break down and make a proper form tackle in open space. It's one of the reasons I'm a big fan of Sherman's game (had a gif of a nice tackle but wont post for some reason), and why I'm excited about this young man Lewis.
:hammer:Tackling is a lost art I tell ya. Why I'm such a big fan of Lee and a big fan of getting rid of Claiborne and Carr.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
Don't have time to do any game films so far this year, but did a quick video of Jourdan Lewis' first tackle from Monday night.

In a league in which too many players get stiff armed from trying to take on ball carriers up high, Lewis illustrates perfectly here how to defeat a stiff arm attempt.

Thanks for posting this!! It's the most underrated part of playing defense in the NFL and College!!

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Awesome.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Remember there was point last season where the D kept 3 or 4 pretty good offense in check. Guess the reason given by Garrett.......excellent tackling on initial contact. Other words, very few MISSED tackles.......be surprise yards gain coz missed/poor tackling.

drawandstrike

Reaction score
I"m hoping there's a 'Lewis' effect on the rest of our secondary as they keep watching him drop guys at the point of first contact.

Too many players try to 'hand fight' up high and end up giving up yards as the ball carrier runs through an arm tackle and then has to be dropped from behind.

ghst187

Reaction score
It's great that he tackles well esp since he's going to be playing much bigger WRs while in the NFL. If he also consistently locks down his man and hauls 4-5 INTs per year...he will be another massive theft in the draft for us.