Andre Smith Struggles At Alabama Pro Day

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Posted by Aaron Wilson on March 11, 2009, 3:32 p.m.

Alabama offensive tackle Andre Smith didn’t perform well at his Pro Day workout today in front of the entire league after creating a stir by leaving the NFL scouting combine early last month. One league source told us: “He bombed.”

According to NFL.com, Smith was not “overly impressive.” His top 40-yard dash time was 5.28 seconds and he bench pressed 225 pounds just 19 times.

According to our league source, Smith ran with no shirt on and was visibly overweight. With a group of trainers urging him on to run faster, Smith had a generally rough day.

DFWJC

Reaction score
JerryAdvocate;2684923 said:
I'd welcome him w/ pick #51

HA! He may just go into a free fall. Wow...and a few months ago, some were saying top 3 pick all the way.

Several mocks were still putting him as high as Jax with the 8th pick. I kind of doubt it if this is true.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
SCOUT: “SMITH LOST MILLIONS TODAY”
Posted by Aaron Wilson on March 11, 2009, 4:25 p.m.

Alabama offensive tackle Andre Smith’s campus workout today in front of NFL scouts was a “disaster,” according to Tony Pauline of SI.com.

Quoting an unnamed scout, Pauline writes that Smith’s lack of preparation was obvious as he was overweight. One scout called the performance, “one of the worst workouts I’ve ever seen.”

Another AFC East scout told Pauline: “He lost millions today.”

As a league source told us earlier today, Smith ran with his shirt off.

According to Pauline, comments were made about “the flab and the rolls on his body” during Smith’s 40-yard dashes as he posted times between 5.21 and 5.29 seconds.

Per the article, several scouts weren’t happy to travel a long way only to witness a bad workout. And Smith’s trainers were not pleased, either.

UPDATE: NFL.com has reported additional details on the workout, noting that Smith was 6-4 1/4, 325 pounds with 40-yard dash times of 5.28 and 5.33 seconds.

He turned in a 25-inch vertical leap, a 7-10 broad jump, a 7.88 time in the three-cone drill and bench pressed 225 pounds for 19 repetitions.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Holy bejeezus!... Did you guys see the clips on NFLN of him working out without a shirt? Who the hell came up with that idea? I've seen smaller boobies flopping around on National Geographic!

What the hell, dude... Give half a crap and get yourself in shape. And until then, get a jog bra and KEEP THE SHIRT ON.

RamziD

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2685535 said:
LoL what a joke. This guy is a nut case I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole.

Totally agree. I couldn't care less if he was available even at #51. He has shown what his work ethic and character are... lousy. We should know by now that people like that rarely change. Forget it... there will be plenty of better, safer players for us to choose from.

DFWJC

Reaction score
It's Thursday morning now, so poeple have had time to discuss his workout.
The concesnsus now seems to be that he was poor in the standard measurables but excellent in the regaulr drills.
Mayock said on TV last night that he still thought this kid would go in the top 10 or so.

Everyone that has interviewing him says thr LAST thing people worry about is his personality--that he is great kid and easy to be around. They said thr Alabama coaches and fans are shocked that the word "Character" would even come up with him.

Even after all of that, I would be certainly concerned about his workout habits. Those man boobs combined with only 19 reps were scary.

Mayock and others said the same, but again said that if he keeps working out with his trainer over the next 4 weeks (which he plans to do) then he will go maybe even in the top 8 picks.

burmafrd

Reaction score
With as many question marks as this guy has only a moron would take him in the first 10. All that guaranteed money?

DFWJC

Reaction score
burmafrd;2685979 said:
With as many question marks as this guy has only a moron would take him in the first 10. All that guaranteed money?

I wouldn't, but it sounds like someone might.