CFZ Anniversary of Legendary Ice Bowl game, Dec. 31

MS17

Reaction score
The NFL rates the iconic Dallas v. Green Bay NFL Championship game, (Dec. 31, 1967) as third best football game ever played. It's the greatest "Bad Weather Game", they claim, understating things.
Some of us were fortunate enough to watch the game on CBS 55 years ago. I was in high school then, watching on our 20 in. black and white zenith. I've been in awe of the game since.
Some of the younger fans here should google the game articles, and photographs, since it is a significant part of Cowboys lore and the team's legacy. (Id suggest not visiting the NFL sites, as IMO, they are Packer biased and laud that team as deserving of the championship. Take that how you will.)

-13 below at kickoff, avg. chill factor at -36 degrees...the field was frozen and patches of ice present. Very few of the players wore gloves, some wrapped hands in tape or bandages.
Ray Scott, Jack Buck and Frank Gifford announced the game. Summerall and Tom Brookshier reported on the field.
We all know how it ended. Bart Starr ran the sneak from 2 feet out on 3rd and goal, scoring with 16 seconds left to go. Packers won 21-17.
CBS allowed Gifford to do post game interviews in the loser dressing room, which the NFL rarely allowed. Tom Landry said, "Today on the tundra at Lambeau, the better team lost."
Don Meredith expressed pride and admiration for the guts and determination of the team.
WR Lance Rentzel a week later told a reporter that, "Not one word was spoken on the plane trip home to Love Field in Dallas."

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The NFL rates the iconic Dallas v. Green Bay NFL Championship game, (Dec. 31, 1967) as third best football game ever played. It's the greatest "Bad Weather Game", they claim, understating things.
Some of us were fortunate enough to watch the game on CBS 55 years ago. I was in high school then, watching on our 20 in. black and white zenith. I've been in awe of the game since.
Some of the younger fans here should google the game articles, and photographs, since it is a significant part of Cowboys lore and the team's legacy. (Id suggest not visiting the NFL sites, as IMO, they are Packer biased and laud that team as deserving of the championship.) Take that how you will.

-13 below at kickoff, avg. chill factor at -36 degrees...the field was frozen and patches of ice present. Very few of the players wore gloves, some wrapped hands in tape or bandages.
Ray Scott, Jack Buck and Frank Gifford announced the game. Summerall and Tom Brookshier reported on the field.
We all know how it ended. Bart Starr ran the sneak from 2 feet out on 3rd and goal with 16 seconds left to go. Packers won 21-17.
CBS allowed Gifford to do post game interviews in the loser dressing room, which the NFL rarely allowed. Tom Landry said, "Today on the tundra at Lambeau, the better team lost."
Don Meredith expressed pride and admiration for the guts and determination of the team.
WR Lance Rentzel a week later told a reporter that, "Not one word was spoken on the plane trip home to Love Field in Dallas."
Unfortunately I’m old enough to remember. I watched it. I was 13. My first huge heartbreak watching sports.

cowboyec

Reaction score
one of the greatest games ever...no doubt.
warriors.
but.
jerry kramer was off-sides.
and i believe to my last breath lombardi ordered the heating coil system under the field to be turned off and had the sprinklers turned on to guarantee a sloppy track to eliminate the cowboys over whelming speed advantage.
screw green bay.
hate'm to their guts.
:starspin:cowboys:starspin:

Cowboys_22

Reaction score
Some of the younger fans here should google the game articles, and photographs, since it is a significant part of Cowboys lore and the team's legacy. (Id suggest not visiting the NFL sites, as IMO, they are Packer biased and laud that team as deserving of the championship. Take that how you will.)

We all know how it ended. Bart Starr ran the sneak from 2 feet out on 3rd and goal, scoring with 16 seconds left to go. Packers won 21-17.

I was in Jr High at the time and this game is the #1 reason I hate the packers. Our defense could not hold them the last drive. Oh well

Go Cowboys!

MS17

Reaction score
one of the greatest games ever...no doubt.
warriors.
but.
jerry kramer was off-sides.
and i believe to my last breath lombardi ordered the heating coil system under the field to be turned off and had the sprinklers turned on to guarantee a sloppy track to eliminate the cowboys over whelming speed advantage.
screw green bay.
hate'm to their guts.
:starspin:cowboys:starspin:
I saw an article in Milwaukee Journal, quoted a Packer player saying Lombardi was proud of his electric heating grid he'd installed a few inches under that famous turf. Problem was, the tarp was laid over the field the afternoon before the game the next day and the temp dropped 36 d. overnight. Condensation overnight froze solid when the tarp was removed and the playing surface was ice. (Dan Reeves said it was "like a brick")
Lombardi was walking around the field during warm-ups (imagine that) and told cowboys GM Tex Schramm--"the field's fine."
Tex shook his head and replied, "This is terrible." Frozen tundra, right. It removed Bob Hayes as a factor.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
That was 5 years before I started following the Cowboys. I can still hear my dad cursing in the next room as Bart Starr scored the game winner. He went from extreme anger to crying within seconds. A few minutes after we ate dinner he vomited. The only time I ever saw him that miserable was 3 years later when the Cowboys lost in the final seconds to the Baltimore Colts in Super Bowl V.

Motorola

Reaction score
Bob Hayes running routes with his hands in his pockets. That is how GB knew he wasn't getting the ball or it was a run.
364 days earlier --- the 1966 NFL Championship game --- Hayes was (erronously) in for Frank Clarke on the 4th down play at the 2-yard line, tipping the Packers to realize it was going to be a pass to #22.

Hagman

Put Niland and Green in the ROH
Reaction score
364 days earlier --- the 1966 NFL Championship game --- Hayes was (erronously) in for Frank Clarke on the 4th down play at the 2-yard line, tipping the Packers to realize it was going to be a pass to #22.

That’s the first Cowboys game I watched and the game that immediately made me a fan (I was 9 years old).

Motorola

Reaction score
That’s the first Cowboys game I watched and the game that immediately made me a fan (I was 9 years old).
My 9th birthday was 6 & 1/2 weeks before - around Thanksgiving.
I wonder in the history of the NFL \ North American professional sports___has any other team lost a championship game twice within a calender year.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
landry or dallas coaches should have noticed that, but evidently they did not.
I think since gb beat dallas 2 years in a row, and one was at dallas, that they had the better coaching, and that is why they won both games.
Landry only won 2 SB's and both times he had great defenses, that didnt allow the other team to score.