Another look at the end of the game

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Probably an angle that none of us looked into. I know the answer to this especially because the way the defense played last night. But, what if we rushed the drive before the hail mary a little faster. Kick the fg on 4th down then kick it deep to use our 3 timeouts against the run. Get the ball back and only need a fg. I was up til like 2am est time. I mean yes we would need the defense to not allow a first down but what do you guys think?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Probably an angle that none of us looked into. I know the answer to this especially because the way the defense played last night. But, what if we rushed the drive before the hail mary a little faster. Kick the fg on 4th down then kick it deep to use our 3 timeouts against the run. Get the ball back and only need a fg. I was up til like 2am est time. I mean yes we would need the defense to not allow a first down but what do you guys think?
I think the odds of scoring twice in that short a time period are pretty long, and the best bet was to try and score the TD.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Its easy to say that in hindsight knowing you didn't score a TD. But in real time you have to be thinking touchdown there.
This is spot on. If we had a 4th down earlier than that close to the goal line it's a more probable decision

RodeoJake

Reaction score
My thought was it 2nd and 2. Why not try a quick snap and run a QB sneak? It might not have gotten the first down, but it still leaves you with 2 tries to get the first.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Game management is just too hard for Garrett. They should have treated that possession like it was the game for them...forget saving the 3 timeouts for another possession because the best you could do is a hail mary attempt anyway. You save timeouts if all you need is a FG (ex: Jets game if they didn't convert the 2-pt conversion to tie).

In this case, you need a TD and judging by how casual they were in trying to run the clock down, why not use your timeouts on 3rd and 4th down to make sure the play you're calling is a good one? Instead, they have that terrible 4th down pass to Zeke