Another Opinion on Whitehurst

Reaction score
http://www.thehuddlereport.com/NickelPackage/profiles/CharlieWhitehurst.htm

Strengths
Charlie is one of the prettiest QB’s that you've ever seen on a football field. He has a nice throwing motion and a strong arm with good velocity on the ball. He throws an easy ball to catch and does a good job with his foot work in his drops. He can play under the center and out of a shotgun formation. Charlie has excellent size, bulk and strength for his position and looks the part of a big time QB for the next level.

Needs to Improve
Charlie has never met a pass rush that he could stand up to. In fact, Charlie has never met any type of rush that he could stand up to. He loves to throw interceptions and fumbling the ball is one of his strengths.

Bottom Line
With the athletic talent that this kid has, he should be one of the premier QB’s of this draft. Don’t bother e-mailing me and giving me excuses that he did not have a good line in front of him. Remember, I’m looking at tape and not copying someone else’s opinion. Charlie looks to me like he could become an excellent male underwear model for a catalog company because he refuses to move or slide in the pocket. He just panics and throws the ball. Or, he waits like a stone in a stream to be engulfed by the rush and fumbles the ball. The problem is that Charlie is a workout wonder. He is smooth and a lot of people are going to be fooled when he starts to workout, but as soon as they go back to some film and watch him, it should all fall into place. All I can say is that I see this kid making a lot of money as an underwear model or an actor in Hollywood, but not on the football field. On the football field, you can’t act your way into being a successful QB -- you actually have to prove it.

VThokie7

Reaction score
Please no Whitehurst. After watching enough of him at Clemson he just couldn't live up to his hype. Great arm, but like that report said everything else leaves something to be desired.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
HawaiianCowboy said:
http://www.thehuddlereport.com/NickelPackage/profiles/CharlieWhitehurst.htm

Strengths
Charlie is one of the prettiest QB’s that you've ever seen on a football field. He has a nice throwing motion and a strong arm with good velocity on the ball. He throws an easy ball to catch and does a good job with his foot work in his drops. He can play under the center and out of a shotgun formation. Charlie has excellent size, bulk and strength for his position and looks the part of a big time QB for the next level.

Needs to Improve
Charlie has never met a pass rush that he could stand up to. In fact, Charlie has never met any type of rush that he could stand up to. He loves to throw interceptions and fumbling the ball is one of his strengths.

Bottom Line
With the athletic talent that this kid has, he should be one of the premier QB’s of this draft. Don’t bother e-mailing me and giving me excuses that he did not have a good line in front of him. Remember, I’m looking at tape and not copying someone else’s opinion. Charlie looks to me like he could become an excellent male underwear model for a catalog company because he refuses to move or slide in the pocket. He just panics and throws the ball. Or, he waits like a stone in a stream to be engulfed by the rush and fumbles the ball. The problem is that Charlie is a workout wonder. He is smooth and a lot of people are going to be fooled when he starts to workout, but as soon as they go back to some film and watch him, it should all fall into place. All I can say is that I see this kid making a lot of money as an underwear model or an actor in Hollywood, but not on the football field. On the football field, you can’t act your way into being a successful QB -- you actually have to prove it.

Sounds a lot like Bledsoe..Bill should love him

Hiero

Reaction score
i agree with the basic point. he has all the measureables but was never able to live up to potential. Not sure if hes worth a 3rd rder.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Hiero said:
i agree with the basic point. he has all the measureables but was never able to live up to potential. Not sure if hes worth a 3rd rder.

I think where he goes then will surprise alot of people who think this...QB's are almost always overvalued on draft day (even ones with so-so talent or results) so there's a good chance he'll get picked somewhere in rd two...

the guy has the size, arm and some throwing accuracy, and did appear to be the best QB in the Senior Bowl...unless thee are still big questions about his shoulder injury (and I read he threw very well at his campus workout) he's going to go somewhere mid to late rd two IMO

David

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Funny, Whitehurst only struggled against the pass rush in his junior year. Perhaps if he noticed:

1. His Clemson O-Line stunk.

2. His Clemson WR's generally stunk.

3. Tommy Bowden really never put him in a system suited for his abilities.

Then he might come off like he had a clue. I'm not a Clemson fan nor am I much of a college football fan for that matter, but this kid is the real deal.

Rich...............