Another "meltdown" to monitor...

ravidubey

Reaction score
With all the attention focused on the signing of Terrell Owens and accompanying predictions of his supposedly pre-programmed meltdown due at next year's offseason, what about the other meltdown we're supposed to be experiencing-- namely Drew Bledsoe's?

Just like TO's future is supposed to be an exact carbon copy of his time in Philadelphia, isn't Drew Bledsoe about to disappoint us in a major way starting his second season-- just like he did in Buffalo? It's supposed to be exactly the same, right? :) I mean, football is simple and easy to predict, right? The media says it's always the same as the previous year. :rolleyes:

I mean Bledsoe started great in Buffalo in 2002, leveled off, and could not get it going again in 2003 and 2004. The Bills made Bledsoe the scapegoat and basically told the media he'd have a meltdown in Dallas.

2005 results: Bledsoe started great for Dallas in 2005 and then leveled off, despite late season rallies vs the Broncos and Chiefs, Bledsoe and the passing game faded fast down the stretch.

I think the similarities are superficial and end there, but it's too neat a package for the media (and spiteful Bills fans) not to predict the demise of first Bledsoe (and now Owens).

Looking deeper, Bledsoe's offensive line was truly offensive in Buffalo and never seriously upgraded during his stay there. Mike Williams was a major bust and the line featured not a single pro bowl candidate. Opposing teams broke down the Bills' offensive schemes over 2002 and the Bills did not or could not compensate. Worse, in 2003 Buffalo let the short range outlet TE Riemersma and complementary deep threat Peerless Price leave town and replaced them with a utility TE and Josh Reed, another 1st round bust.

In Dallas, Bledsoe's supporting cast declined from about the 5th game on with Adams and Crayton's injuries, Pettiti prematurely inserted at RT, Witten called back in to block, and Dan Campbell and Larry Allen wearing down at times over the year. Bledsoe had lost his protection and nearly half of his best receiving targets.

The net results were superficially similar to the leveling in Buffalo, but the causes were different.

Now, unlike the 2003 Bills, Dallas has made moves to keep Bledsoe armed and hopefully dangerous in 2006. Owens, Fabini, and Kosier have been added to replace the departing Allen, Campbell, and Keyshawn Johnson. The OL has become younger and more talented at the OT position and the WR corps has added a player who can change the game with a single play while drawing true double coverage.

Looking deeper, Gurode and Pettiti now provide quality depth instead of being called on to start, allowing Jason Witten to enter more pass patterns and return to elite status. Dallas will thus maintain its short, intermediate, and deep receiving threats and allow Bledsoe the widest range of options to counter defensive adjustments. Whoever the blocking TE will be, it will likely be someone healthy, unlike the Dan Campbell of 2004-2005.

I don't think the Cowboys are done yet, and expect them to further support one or more of the OL, TE, or WR position in the draft, and so I boldy predict there will be no meltdown to keep Bills fans warm this winter :laugh2: .

lkelly

Reaction score
The biggest risk of "meltdown" from Bledsoe is that he gets hurt. If Dallas is forced to play the season with Romo, or Lord forbid, Henson, then they can pretty much just pray for 8-8.

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
Your post makes some good points. But remenber, Bledsoe faltered in Buffalo because of a porous OL. He had adequate receivers. In Dallas he has adequate receivers - probably hte best he's ever had in his career. But his OL is still uncertain in Dallas. We still need major OL work to do. Many don't believe that but I do and feel that until we really fix that, it won't matter who the WR's are (or the runumgback for that matter). That's because Bledsoe is pure pocket passer with limited mobility and is exposed by the defensive rush when the OL can't handle it.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
Unlike Owens, Bledsoe did not "meltdown" on his first team he lost his job to a future HoF player and lost it due to injury. He was solid for the Pats his whole time there. Owens didn't just "meltdown" on the Eagles he also did it with the Niners and one could argue with the Ravens.

Let’s not try to raise the status of one player, Owens, by vilifying another who has never "melted down" on anyone. He had some poor protection and a piss poor OC in Buffalo and the two situations have absolutely nothing in common.

Geeze, get a grip people. :bang2:

BARRYRAY

Reaction score
Yeah but he never had TO to run the slant in Buffalo against the blitz. Folks we have got to get out of the naysayer mode on this board, TO is the best wr in the NFL, we are flat out going to have O this next season, the best wr/te group in NFL, and JJ will see some daylight, scary for the NFC East...

ravidubey

Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN said:
Your post makes some good points. But remenber, Bledsoe faltered in Buffalo because of a porous OL. He had adequate receivers. In Dallas he has adequate receivers - probably hte best he's ever had in his career. But his OL is still uncertain in Dallas. We still need major OL work to do. Many don't believe that but I do and feel that until we really fix that, it won't matter who the WR's are (or the runumgback for that matter). That's because Bledsoe is pure pocket passer with limited mobility and is exposed by the defensive rush when the OL can't handle it.

Cleary OL is the #1 concern as it would be with any QB, pocket passer or no.

Where we are better
I think just having a legit starter at RT in Fabini with Pettiti lending depth is in itself a major, major upgrade. Realize that every team in the playoffs had solid if not excellent play at both OT positions. Protecting the edges is critical in today's NFL. We've definitely upgraded the OT position, most important to keeping Drew Bledsoe on his feet.

Protecting the middle is also important, though the interior OL is more important to the running game, and that's where Kosier is actually an upgrade over Larry Allen. He has young legs that can pull and move. I also believe he is mobile enough to block back when someone slips around the edge or gets by Johnson.

I also think Rivera will be stronger. I know he is more of a question mark, but I look at his past performance and work ethic and it just adds up to a better
player than the one we saw recovering from back surgery last year.

Despite our overall strength at OT, I see us drafting one on the first day of the draft. They are clearly letting Tucker explore other options which kind of telegraphs their intent. With Fabini and Adams in their early 30's, Dallas not only needs depth and insurance they also need their future starter. OT makes too much sense not to be a 1st day acquisition.

Where we have question marks

I worry that Kosier can not be the immovable object that LA was in the middle in pass protection. No way around this, LA was damned good in pass protection and while Kosier will block most DT's, he will struggle against those DT/NT's with elite talent. Jacksonville will be a tough litmus test for Kosier-- if he passes, then we have a FA steal.

I don't see Peterman as a bust... yet, but I just think he's been the offensive line's version of Drew Henson or Tony Romo-- the starters have been paid so much and are so experienced that he doesn't get playing time. Allen played every snap last year, so when would Peterman get his shot? I think that Dallas has three good but not spectacular guards.

I also worry about the Center position. This is a total wait-and-see, IMO. We've done nothing to improve except watch Johnson lift weights and cross our fingers.

Though Rivera will probably be stronger, he will never again be the dynamic player he was in Green Bay. Who's the backup? Gurode? Lord help us. Dallas needs to draft at least one interior OL-- wish we had a 4th round pick!

ravidubey

Reaction score
JackMagist said:
Unlike Owens, Bledsoe did not "meltdown" on his first team he lost his job to a future HoF player and lost it due to injury. He was solid for the Pats his whole time there. Owens didn't just "meltdown" on the Eagles he also did it with the Niners and one could argue with the Ravens.

Let’s not try to raise the status of one player, Owens, by vilifying another who has never "melted down" on anyone. He had some poor protection and a piss poor OC in Buffalo and the two situations have absolutely nothing in common.

I think you missed my point. I'm talking about the similarities in how the media predicted meltdowns from both Owens and Bledsoe to be identical to their performances on their prior teams. In Bledsoe's case that was Buffalo, not New England.

The discussion is about the real football reasons why such magic predictions have been at best superficially similar in the case of Bledsoe. Once the media sees a similar result they gloss over trying to analyze the "why", they only focus on the "what".

royhitshard

Reaction score
JackMagist said:

I think you need to get a grip and re-read the post. You obviously do not get it. :bang2: :bang2: :bang2:

DBoys

Reaction score
Good post

It's like saying just because you don't get along with one person you can never get along with anyone.

or

Or just because you have been divorced once you cannot sustain a marriage.

Absurd to judge anyone like that.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
You have to remember that Bledsoe really didn't have a meltdown but it appeared that way to many fans because they put unrealistic expectations on him.

Buffalo fans expected a QB who could lead them to the Super Bowl when they traded a number one for him. They ended up with a QB who wasted talented skill players and a stout defense. He did rise to the high levels of mediocrity that's been a hallmark of his career.

Year one the average fan blamed the OL, year two they started to waver then realized that Bledsoe comes up small when it matters in year three and that's when they really turned on him.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
StanleySpadowski said:
You have to remember that Bledsoe really didn't have a meltdown but it appeared that way to many fans because they put unrealistic expectations on him.

Buffalo fans expected a QB who could lead them to the Super Bowl when they traded a number one for him. They ended up with a QB who wasted talented skill players and a stout defense. He did rise to the high levels of mediocrity that's been a hallmark of his career.

Year one the average fan blamed the OL, year two they started to waver then realized that Bledsoe comes up small when it matters in year three and that's when they really turned on him.

lets hope that isn't the case here...

:eek: