Any and all opinions of Roy Williams #11 wanted

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
I know this has been covered in many threads pertaining to the trade. I just wanted a thread to thoroughly discuss the player.

1) Give me your thoughts or other qualified opinions on his talent. What his skills are and how he ranks among other WR's.

2) Give me your thoughts or other qualified opinions on his history. What he's actually done on the field. How does it stack up? Has he demonstrated that his ability exceeds his production? If so why? Was it his problem or the the team he played for.

3) Finally I'd like your thoughts or other qualified opinions on this offense. What's the potential of this offense? Romo throwing to Owens, Witten and Williams compares favorable to what other teams, present and past.

4) Last but not least. Put on your D-Coordinators headset and defense this offense. Give me your thoughts or other qualified opinions on how defenses will try to defense us.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I've followed the guy since he was a Freshman in College.

Big, fast, Tall guy.

Explosive.

Playmaker.

He can jump too.

Romo has to find out quick that if he is one on one a lot of time he can throw this guy a jump ball and he will come down with it.

Hes a good guy too. He'll go a little Patrick Crayton on you now and then with his comments. But like Patrick Crayton he is a good team player and just wants to win.

I expect him to be even better after he gets an offseason with Joe Juraszek under his belt.

Hes already been to a Pro Bowl too so the guy can obviously play.

-------

Williams also competed in track at Permian and in the spring of 2000 he won the long jump with a jump of 25'6", placed 2nd in the high jump jumping 6'10" and 3rd in the 100-meter dash with a time of 10.38s at the state track meet

----

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
I'm no expert on Roy, but I'll give a crack at all four.

1. I think he's just outside that top-10 receiver range (the Owens's, Moss's, Waynes, Boldins, Fitgeralds of the world) in terms of his production/ability. People cite he's had one 1,000 yard season, but he's averaging 1,035 yards per 16 games played. And he's done it on the worst team in the league during the entire time he's been there.

On a pure physical level, I think he has the ability to crack the top 10. It's just a matter of fulfilling his potential. I get the feeling he's been riding on talent alone a little, which is one of many reasons why you're seeing really good but not elite production out of him.

2. I think I might have answered my opinion on some of this in the previous point. He's averaging over 1,000 yards per 16 games played on a horrid team with no quarterback or possibility of winning. He's not a bust who we're hoping plays well in a good environment. He's the face of their franchise and a proven threat who we're hoping jumps into the "best WR in the league" discussion by changing atmospheres. Big difference.

He's all but said the losing got to him in Detroit. He said he never had an older guy teach him how to work. I think a lot of the little nuances of his game have never been developed. You're just seeing a guy play on raw ability with little talent surrounding him. I think the change in culture coming to Dallas will do wonders.

Physically, I think he's a possession receiver with the ability to get deep and break off long runs. The cliche' "deceptively fast" due to his size. Great hands in terms of how he plucks the ball out of the air, but inconsistent and does drop passes. I wonder how much of that is due to a lack of concentration -- again, possibly due to the atmosphere there.

I can only pray he spends an offseason with Owens learning how to work.

3. This offense was already consistently top 3 in the league year in, year out. Replace Crayton with Williams and I think the possibilities are endless. He can beat single coverage and gives us literally a Pro Bowl player at every skill position. It used to be "well, Crayton can't maximize on single coverage" and "Crayton can't beat guys" and "Crayton doesn't scare teams." Williams does, does and will.

4. Teams will continue what they're doing and wait and see about Williams. I think teams will figure it'll take him a while to get integrated, on the same page with the QBs and will want to see what he actually looks like in our offense before changing their game plan.

Later on, I'm still not sure they'll change their game plan. I think teams would rather say we'll take away TO and try to make Williams beat us. It's going to be up to him to take advantage of it.

onetrickpony

Reaction score
sonnyboy;2343419 said:
1) Give me your thoughts or other qualified opinions on his talent. What his skills are and how he ranks among other WR's.

2) Give me your thoughts or other qualified opinions on his history. What he's actually done on the field. How does it stack up? Has he demonstrated that his ability exceeds his production? If so why? Was it his problem or the the team he played for.

3) Finally I'd like your thoughts or other qualified opinions on this offense. What's the potential of this offense? Romo throwing to Owens, Witten and Williams compares favorable to what other teams, present and past.

4) Last but not least. Put on your D-Coordinators headset and defense this offense. Give me your thoughts or other qualified opinions on how defenses will try to defense us.

Since when does anyone need to be qualified to post on the Internet?

HardHittin'Witten

This ain't Madden
Reaction score
onetrickpony;2343640 said:

I'm no WR coach, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Very talented. Hasn't lived up to his billing as a rookie IMO, but has been good. I think he's a good addition to any offense, although I think he's not an ideal compliment to TO....and not an ideal replacement either.

I like him, but I think we gave away too much...and paid too much. We needed to address our defense far more so than our offense IMO.

Boysboy

Reaction score
I'll say this much-no longer teams will be giving safety help with covering Owens, meaning that it'll be harder for these corners to play press on him.

For the most part, Lito had alot of success on Owens b/c Dawkins was giving him safety help. Doubt that will happen again with Roy in the mix.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
His QBs have been Joey Harrington and John Kitna. Despite the Lions' drafting strategy, he's never really had a good WR to take pressure off him (he's sure as hell made Mike Furrey and Shawn McDonald more productive though).

Anything anyone says about his productivity has to take into account the crap offenses he's played on. Every D in the league that faced the Lions made him their priority.

He's going to thrive here.

That he could have

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Williams also competed in track at Permian and in the spring of 2000 he won the long jump with a jump of 25'6", placed 2nd in the high jump jumping 6'10" and 3rd in the 100-meter dash with a time of 10.38s at the state track meet
Freaky.

Only real negatives on him are that he'll drop one now and then and he hasn't produced as much as you might expect. But I'm sure Detroit had a lot to do with that.

But he's a great talent who should learn a lot from TO and look better with more talent around him.

MONT17

Reaction score
I like the move for 1 reason! Jerry did not stick his head in the sand after players that he was told would step up did not! Will he hold those ppl accountable if not it may happen again nxt year!

I like Roy Williams because he wants to be a cowboy other than that I don't know much about him. I know he is a freak and makes freaky catches!

The Cowboys jus needed an upgrade @ WR, Roy is much more than an upgrade and the final piece to a SB team!

I think teams will try to stop the Boys using the same approach until Roy goes deep on them a few times! I also think this allows Garrett to put Owens in the slot more often!

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
onetrickpony;2343640 said:

I want your opinion and or an opinion of someone whom you think might be considered an expert.

So perhaps if you read an opinion of some scout, coach, GM, or even a former player, that would be a qualified opinion.

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
I have nothing bad to say about him really. I love his size speed and for the most part his attitude. I like how he can be a possession WR and keep the chains moving. We now have two very reliable players on third down in him and Witten to get the first. I feel like he is a good compliment to Owens.

I do not really feel that a D will treat us very differently. I think they are going to try and take TO out of the game with double coverage and bring the heat a lot. We will still see a lot of players in the box. It is time for the other guys on the team show the league that they can beat you. Roy will not play up to his full potential in Dallas for a little bit. I expect him to make some plays but lets not expect too much too quick. Other things also need to happen such as line improvement. The only flaw I have ever found with Roy Williams is when I watched him at Texas in big games. It seemed sometimes like you were just waiting for a big play out of him and it never came. Over all I love the trade and can't wait to see him play.

2much2soon

Reaction score
I haven't seen much of him in the pros or college.
From what I have seen, when they played Dallas a few years ago, and from some of his highlight reel catches, is that the guy is a talent. I saw huge, soft hands that swallow up the ball and great leaping ability.
I also see Crayton drawing the 3rd best cover man and becoming more effective again.
And when all else fails, and Romo has to just chuck it up to escape a sack, RW is the kinda player that can go up, get it, and bail out the offense.

PullMyFinger

Old Fashioned
Reaction score
He will make the team better just by his presence on the field. Defenses better respect him by about week 9 or theyre gonna pay BIG TIME! Hes big, can catch well, and his speed, although not Glen fast is still deceptive.

Not only is he a great compliment to TO, but his future replacement as well, he'll be happy while he's here. This is the best receiving corps we had in a long time, maybe ever, and one of the best in the NFL.

This move also puts Crayton in the slot where he can be more deadly. Im not saying RW is a superstar yet, but just wait, if not by the end of this year, he will be one next year!