Anyone Else Notice Increased Air Activity?

Hoofbite

Reaction score
First and foremost, I don't endorse or buy into conspiracies. I have no theory on this but just a simple observation. I live about 3 miles (as the crow flies) from Gowen Field in Boise, and 40 or so miles from Mountain Home AFB. It's not uncommon to see military planes. Usually it's an A-10 or whatever, but over the last 3 days there has been an unusual number of planes flying all over the place. I guess Gowen will be moving away from the A-10 to go to an F-16 but the timeline is a few years out. That said, I have been hearing planes so close it's really made me wonder what is up. Wednesday, one flew overhead so close that I went outside to get a look at it. Had 2-3 people on the street looking in the air and one lady was like "tell me that wasn't right over the house". As I type this, 2 have flown directly over my house. My only guess is they are testing out the F-16s (3rd one just passed overhead) that they will be moving to. I've only spotted 1 of the planes because they seem to fly in bursts where you hear just enough to go outside and look for them and then they go away. Couple hours later, you get another round of planes overhead. Go look for them, and they're off in the distance. Rinse and repeat.

Anyone else live near a base and notice increased activity?

https://www.**.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/3439697/gowen-field-angb-to-transition-to-f-16-mission/

Edit: the asterisks are A and F. Guess the site is editing those when they are together, for obvious reasons, but this is an Air Force link so what can you do?

Also, another just flew so close I could feel it.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Is it possible they're training or testing pilots who are new to the base?

Sammy

Reaction score
Yes, I have. I assumed there was an airshow this week.

gtb1943

Reaction score
You never know. Now one thing to remember is that the last of the National Guard summer training is happening now so that could be part of it.

nobody

Reaction score
For a month or two earlier this year there was a severe uptick in military jets taking off and landing here near the JRB in Forth Worth. That's died down. Maybe it's all training.