Anyone here play Rome Total War?

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
God I love that game! I also happen to be reading The First Man in Rome series at the same time so all of the people, places, and events make much more sense. I've always been wary of real-time strategy games because they all seem to play the same way but this is the first game I've played in a while that didn't feel like it was trying to copy Warcraft or Age of Empires. Military strategy really does play a large part in the battles. It's not like the previously mentioned games where you grab resources as quick as possible, build everything as quick as possible and then conduct an all-out blitz. This game actually requires strategy. I love how historically accurate the soldiers are. The management of the Roman Empire when you're not in battle is addictive as hell too. Anyways, just wanted to give this game some props and suggest anyone who is a history buff give it a try. These Total War games are top notch!

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
God I love that game! I also happen to be reading The First Man in Rome series at the same time so all of the people, places, and events make much more sense. I've always been wary of real-time strategy games because they all seem to play the same way but this is the first game I've played in a while that didn't feel like it was trying to copy Warcraft or Age of Empires. Military strategy really does play a large part in the battles. It's not like the previously mentioned games where you grab resources as quick as possible, build everything as quick as possible and then conduct an all-out blitz. This game actually requires strategy. I love how historically accurate the soldiers are. The management of the Roman Empire when you're not in battle is addictive as hell too. Anyways, just wanted to give this game some props and suggest anyone who is a history buff give it a try. These Total War games are top notch!

I have always wanted to get into strategy games, but never have for the reason you stated. The only game I have bought and played was Warcraft (III?). I hated it - the way to win was to learn hotkeys, build resources, and blitz the other nation. I want strategy....right now it is still chess.

Tell me about this game, though.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
I have always wanted to get into strategy games, but never have for the reason you stated. The only game I have bought and played was Warcraft (III?). I hated it - the way to win was to learn hotkeys, build resources, and blitz the other nation. I want strategy....right now it is still chess.

Tell me about this game, though.

Basically, it penalizes you for making stupid assaults. You can't drive your cavalry into a bunch of spearman waiting for the assault. If you expose your flank to some archers, you're going to get mowed down. You have to wait until the last second to reveal where your army is splitting off, because if you move too early, it shows your cards and tells the enemy which side you're attempting to flank. All of the different units are historically accurate. There are even some cool units such as war dogs which really annoy the hell out of the enemy and sometimes terrorize them so much that they split up. And speaking of terrorizing, if you rout several troops at once, it has a chain effect and causes panic in the troops, same thing if you kill the general and his men leading their troops. It's a fun game, you should give it a try. When you're not conducting the battles, it plays sort of like the game Civlization.

Duane

Reaction score
One of the best games I've played. With that being said I think I prefer Medieval Total War better. I don't know if it's the nostalgia or the fact that R:TW kept crashing my computer.

Do you play any other war games? Matrix games makes some really good hard core WWII games. Uncommon Valor is one of my personal favorites.

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
I've played the Middle Ages total war which I loved and I think RTW is built pretty much the same way. I have been waiting for the price to drop to get it.

What is the book series your reading? Who is the Author?

Payton34Smith22

Reaction score
The only strategy war game I've played was Shogun Total War for the PC,loved it!
Rome Total War,sounds like a good game too,I need to try it out.

Duane

Reaction score
Payton34smith22 said:
The only strategy war game I've played was Shogun Total War for the PC,loved it!
Rome Total War,sounds like a good game too,I need to try it out.
It's the same company and you can probably get M:TW for about $20 now, R:TW should be a little cheaper as well. Both are well worth checking out.

Payton34Smith22

Reaction score
Duane said:
It's the same company and you can probably get M:TW for about $20 now, R:TW should be a little cheaper as well. Both are well worth checking out.

$20 bucks & cheaper? I'll be getting these games for sure then,thanks.
I'm kinda tight on cash right now,so the prices are awesome!
Damn bills! :(

jksmith269

Reaction score
Payton34smith22 said:
$20 bucks & cheaper? I'll be getting these games for sure then,thanks.
I'm kinda tight on cash right now,so the prices are awesome!
Damn bills! :(

I just bought a copy of RTW off ebay for 15 and that included shipping. Brand new...

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
jksmith269 said:
I've played the Middle Ages total war which I loved and I think RTW is built pretty much the same way. I have been waiting for the price to drop to get it.

What is the book series your reading? Who is the Author?

JKsmith, sorry I haven't had a chance to respond lately. I answered your PM with the author and book. If anyone is interested, the first book in the series is First Man in Rome by Colleen McCullough. It's a good read if you enjoy historical fiction and ancient history. Like I told JKSmith in my PM, it's fun playing Rome Total War at the same time because I recognize all the cities and military units mentioned in the book from the game. :)

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Duane said:

I've heard from friends that Shogun Total War and Medieval Total War are both great games too. I saw Medieval Total War at a local Wal-Mart for $10 and have been meaning to pick it up but right now I'm still heavily addicted to Rome Total War.

I have bad news for Total War fans. I was checking around on the internet and the folks who make these fines games were bought out by Sega. Sega immediately ordered them to make some type of action total war game unlike the heavy strategy and historical realism of the other games, so we may have seen the last of these great games now that a big company owns the rights and will have them design the games for the least common denominator. :mad:

Duane

Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
I've heard from friends that Shogun Total War and Medieval Total War are both great games too. I saw Medieval Total War at a local Wal-Mart for $10 and have been meaning to pick it up but right now I'm still heavily addicted to Rome Total War.

I have bad news for Total War fans. I was checking around on the internet and the folks who make these fines games were bought out by Sega. Sega immediately ordered them to make some type of action total war game unlike the heavy strategy and historical realism of the other games, so we may have seen the last of these great games now that a big company owns the rights and will have them design the games for the least common denominator. :mad:
Well if that's the case it's a sad day. War/strategy gaming is becoming a very small niche. And while great games like R:TW may make a decent profit gaming companies are out to make a killing.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Duane said:
One of the best games I've played. With that being said I think I prefer Medieval Total War better. I don't know if it's the nostalgia or the fact that R:TW kept crashing my computer.

Do you play any other war games? Matrix games makes some really good hard core WWII games. Uncommon Valor is one of my personal favorites.

Sorry I didn't respond to this yet Duane. I just realized I missed it. No, I haven't played a lot of of the hardcore war games, although they all interest me. Any suggestions? I played Combat Mission for a while. I usually stick to the historical macro-simulators such as Europa Universalis. I freaking love that game! I also plays Hearts of Iron, the WWII game based on the Europa Universalis engine. Of course, I play Rome Total War, and Sid Meier's games such as Civilization. If anyone is ever up for an online game in one of these, maybe we can get together a bunch of Zoners for a long "conquer the world" session. :D

jksmith269

Reaction score
Payton34smith22 said:
Damn,great price! *goes to ebay*
Was a great price but theres a catch the instructions are in Thai I don't speak spanish very well what in the world do they think I am. Anyone got the instructions in english they can Email me? Muchos Gracias :)

Duane

Reaction score
jksmith269 said:
Was a great price but theres a catch the instructions are in Thai I don't speak spanish very well what in the world do they think I am. Anyone got the instructions in english they can Email me? Muchos Gracias :)
I don't think I have instructions I can email you but there are a lot of game guides online to check out. Go to places like IGN, Gamefaqs, Gamespot and do a google search and you can probably piece something together.

Duane

Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
Sorry I didn't respond to this yet Duane. I just realized I missed it. No, I haven't played a lot of of the hardcore war games, although they all interest me. Any suggestions? I played Combat Mission for a while. I usually stick to the historical macro-simulators such as Europa Universalis. I freaking love that game! I also plays Hearts of Iron, the WWII game based on the Europa Universalis engine. Of course, I play Rome Total War, and Sid Meier's games such as Civilization. If anyone is ever up for an online game in one of these, maybe we can get together a bunch of Zoners for a long "conquer the world" session. :D
Gary Grigsby's World at War looks very promising and it's similar to HoI. You might want to check out www.matrixgames.com and check out some of the other games like Korsun Pocket in addition to GG's WaW.