Anyone know anything about UT Arlington?

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;4582133 said:
You should check UT-Austin, and at least apply. They take a few rejects based on admission letters if you're GPA isn't up to par. I know that without having to google, gimmie.

I have a 4.0 so I won't have a problem getting in. Actually, UT Austin doesn't have my field. Only Texas Tech, UNT, UTEP and UT Arlington have Linguistics grad programs.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
JoeyBoy718;4582190 said:
I have a 4.0 so I won't have a problem getting in. Actually, UT Austin doesn't have my field. Only Texas Tech, UNT, UTEP and UT Arlington have Linguistics grad programs.

You might want to save yourself some embarrassment and actually DO some research. LOL

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;4582209 said:
You might want to save yourself some embarrassment and actually DO some research. LOL

I'm sorry. You're right. They actually do offer it. One of the sites I check out didn't have them listed. I also see that Rice offers linguistics. But they're a private school.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
JoeyBoy718;4582218 said:
I'm sorry. You're right. They actually do offer it. One of the sites I check out didn't have them listed. I also see that Rice offers linguistics. But they're a private school.

Rice University is a far far far better University than any others listed. If Rice is an option, go to Rice.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
Sam I Am;4582324 said:
Rice University is a far far far better University than any others listed. If Rice is an option, go to Rice.

I wouldn't say far, far to the OP. I do realize he is well-intended. (just perhaps a little lazy?) I would say it's a nice option and if you want to get a reputable education, go to Rice or UT-Texas or even Baylor if you're talking Texas.

We have a litany of good schools in Texas, really. But it seems like the bigger ones like UT and even the Ivy League wannabes like Rice produce more reputable scholars, if that's what you're going for. It is indeed what they push you to do. In Austin, we have Texas school for the Deaf and they all speak ASL. It might even be the largest, deaf school in the state. That's a small staple of their program.But they have a great sign language program, almost any language you'd want to speak, they'll be keeping it alive. And their linguistics program is top-notch. It's probably not the same place you got your 4.0 from. But if you're coming to learn, I would go with Texas, just because they have so much talented staff. And I can vouch for it.

But be forewarned, it is a research university....

I'm sure some guys on here can tell you about Arlington and, like any school, it's probably where some went. It's not necessarily indicative of anything anyway. I would guess it's like any other place, the people you're around rub off on you. At least that's the goal.

Good luck. And since I'm a lit major, I can't help but throw a tomato at you on you're way out, linguistics dork.

*Bmmfff

reddyuta

Reaction score
I went to UTA,its a pretty good school and they had some pretty good CS teachers,i would definetely recommend it.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
Arlington and Austin are the 2 best geographic locations for you; plenty of things to do in each. UT or Rice might be the more respected degree names, but you get out what you put in.
I'm from Arlington, and went to UTA; very satisfied with the experience and education.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;4582428 said:
I wouldn't say far, far to the OP. I do realize he is well-intended. (just perhaps a little lazy?) I would say it's a nice option and if you want to get a reputable education, go to Rice or UT-Texas or even Baylor if you're talking Texas.

We have a litany of good schools in Texas, really. But it seems like the bigger ones like UT and even the Ivy League wannabes like Rice produce more reputable scholars, if that's what you're going for. It is indeed what they push you to do. In Austin, we have Texas school for the Deaf and they all speak ASL. It might even be the largest, deaf school in the state. That's a small staple of their program.But they have a great sign language program, almost any language you'd want to speak, they'll be keeping it alive. And their linguistics program is top-notch. It's probably not the same place you got your 4.0 from. But if you're coming to learn, I would go with Texas, just because they have so much talented staff. And I can vouch for it.

I'm sure some guys on here can tell you about Arlington and, like any school, it's probably where some went. It's not necessarily indicative of anything anyway. I would guess it's like any other place, the people you're around rub off on you. At least that's the goal.

Good luck. And since I'm a lit major, I can't help but throw a tomato at you on you're way out, linguistics dork.

*Bmmfff

Rice is one of the top universities in the country. It ranks on par with Cornell and Brown. Both Ivy League schools.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
Sam I Am;4582324 said:

Rice is right by where I work everyday expensive, housing around can be expensive because the medical center is right next to Rice so lots of Doctors then add in Baylor College of Medicine, UT, couple nurisn g schools you get the drift.The nice thing is you can save money take metro several buses go right by Rice or live downtown and take the light rail.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
Sam I Am;4583055 said:
Rice is one of the top universities in the country. It ranks on par with Cornell and Brown. Both Ivy League schools.

I understand, but it depends on the overall department. Based on what I saw at UT, and being around some of the linguistic folks there, I'd say they'd be ranked very high. Same with astronomy, philosophy, etc. It depends on what you're studying....

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Texas, Rice and Texas A&M are the three grad school programs that sit head and shoulders above others in the state of Texas. All three have fantastic alumni networks and provide top notch educations. Dpending on what tyou want to do, odds are one of those three institutions offers a top notch program. All three are especially known for their elite business programs.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;4582428 said:

*Bmmfff

In terms of overall education (especially undergrad) Rice is where the discussion begins and ends in Texas. UT and A&M fall in right behind, with novody else really in the discussion. Baylor offers a good education as well but not for the price.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4583514 said:
In terms of overall education (especially undergrad) Rice is where the discussion begins and ends in Texas. UT and A&M fall in right behind, with novody else really in the discussion. Baylor offers a good education as well but not for the price.

UT and who?

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;4583518 said:
UT and who?

A&M, the 18th best public school in the country with the third highest ranked engineering program and the eigth highest ranked business program in the world.

Overall, Texas and Texas A&M both rank in the top 50 among universities in this country (public and private) and in the top 75 in the world.

In summary, I'm not sure what the joke is.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4583532 said:
A&M, the 18th best public school in the country with the third highest ranked engineering program and the eigth highest ranked business program in the world.

Overall, Texas and Texas A&M both rank in the top 50 among universities in this country (public and private) and in the top 75 in the world.

In summary, I'm not sure what the joke is.

:muttley: