Anyone use Tether app for their smartphone?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have a BB, and I adjusted my data plan to include tethering because my lil brother doesn't have wifi. However most places I go have wifi and I don't really need the service thru my data plan on a regular basis.

The tether app has a one-time fee and then can be used with my existing data plan. Sounds a better deal than the extra $15/mo I'm paying for a service I rarely use.

Anyone?

VietCowboy

Be Realistic. Demand the Impossible.
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;3882784 said:
I have a BB, and I adjusted my data plan to include tethering because my lil brother doesn't have wifi. However most places I go have wifi and I don't really need the service thru my data plan on a regular basis.

The tether app has a one-time fee and then can be used with my existing data plan. Sounds a better deal than the extra $15/mo I'm paying for a service I rarely use.

Anyone?

check this out:http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=234923&t=2739173

I have unlimited data, and just use a Wifi Router app to tether on my phone.

reddyuta

Reaction score
i use wireless tether (its free) and it works fine

edit-: you need to root your phone though.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
reddyuta;3882788 said:
i use wireless tether (its free) and it works fine

edit-: you need to root your phone though.
I have no idea how to root my phone and I'm prolly to scary to try.

Jenky

Reaction score
I use PDAnet. http://www.junefabrics.com/blackberry/index.php

Looks like the software supports Blackberry. You need the app on your phone and the software on your computer. I use the free version which lets me connect to every site that doesn't require higher security, i.e. banking sites, etc. You can buy the full version which does let you connect to more secure sites.. I'd suggest trying it out first.

I tether using my 4g phone and I've had no problems with it.

VietCowboy

Be Realistic. Demand the Impossible.
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;3882789 said:
I lost my unlimited plan when I switched to a tethering plan. but after reviewing plan, I don't use anywhere close to the max of my data plan.

And you say you use a wifi router app? Is that similar to Tether?

Yes, it makes my phone become an access point that I can wirelessly connect to.

It's a Sprint HTC Touch Pro 2 though, not a BB. The link has some good programs listed.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jenky;3882803 said:
I use PDAnet. http://www.junefabrics.com/blackberry/index.php

Looks like the software supports Blackberry. You need the app on your phone and the software on your computer. I use the free version which lets me connect to every site that doesn't require higher security, i.e. banking sites, etc. You can buy the full version which does let you connect to more secure sites.. I'd suggest trying it out first.

I tether using my 4g phone and I've had no problems with it.
I've seen PDAnet mentioned alot...

So does that mean if I wanted to use it to VPN into my job, I'd have to buy the pay version?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
VietCowboy;3882806 said:
Yes, it makes my phone become an access point that I can wirelessly connect to.

It's a Sprint HTC Touch Pro 2 though, not a BB. The link has some good programs listed.
Thank you for that link! What I realized if nothing else is that I need to remove the tethering service provided by ATT from my phone.

No need to pay the monthly service for an app that can serve the same purpose on those rare occasions wifi isn't available.

Jenky

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;3882807 said:
I've seen PDAnet mentioned alot...

So does that mean if I wanted to use it to VPN into my job, I'd have to buy the pay version?

Yes and I don't even know if that would work cause I've never tried it. I can't really vouch for it. VPNs will always require more security.

But like I said, you can try the free version. "Note: Once trial expires, free edition will start blocking secure sites."

Jenky

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;3882808 said:
Thank you for that link! What I realized if nothing else is that I need to remove the tethering service provided by ATT from my phone.

No need to pay the monthly service for an app that can serve the same purpose on those rare occasions wifi isn't available.

Yeah, paying for tethering is an epic fail IMO.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jenky;3882812 said:
Yeah, paying for tethering is an epic fail IMO.
Ha! That was the same thing somebody posted in that link that Viet posted. lol

I feel so shamed... :(

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
The Nexus One has tethering software built right in. (don't have to install it) When the wife wants to surf the web on her iTouch when we are out, I enable tethering and she connects to it.

I don't pay anything extra for it.