Anyone watch the 9/11 Gander Canada news piece?

kmp77

Reaction score
Wow, never saw this side of 9/11 before. This is one of the best news pieces I've ever seen. It's about a small town (10k people) where every US inbound flight had to land at their airport with over 6k people.

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
kmp77;3289503 said:
Wow, never saw this side of 9/11 before. This is one of the best news pieces I've ever seen. It's about a small town (10k people) where every US inbound flight had to land at their airport with over 6k people.

Well, technically, it was only 38 jetliners en route to the United States that were re-directed to Gander, also known to the aviation community as "the biggest gas station in the world".

A total of 15 Canadian airports were used, most of them in Atlantic Canada.

Of the 40,000 international travelers that were diverted to Canadian airports, about 6,600 of them landed at Gander.

You might wanna pick-up a book called, "The Day The World Came To Town: 9/11 In Gander, Newfoundland" by Jim DeFede. It's a pretty good read.

arglebargle

Reaction score
Newfies are a different type of folks. Pretty charming actually. They weren't even actually part of Canada until 1917. They have their own peculiar ways. I wouldn't mind visiting there at all. In the summer.....

CowboyWay

If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State
Reaction score
arglebargle;3289867 said:
Newfies are a different type of folks. Pretty charming actually. They weren't even actually part of Canada until 1917. They have their own peculiar ways. I wouldn't mind visiting there at all. In the summer.....

I think they are described as the "hillbillies" of Canada. A different breed of folks, thats for sure. If you ever tell a Canadian that you have family in Newfoundland, they will always smile in a teasing way towards you.

My mother was born and raised there. I've never visited personally, but most of my other siblings have. Maybe some of our Canadian posters can fill us in better on the people up there, and tell me if I'm wrong on the matter.