Anyone watch the Nebraska/Michigan game last night?

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
HeavyHitta31 said:
Craziest ending ever.....

I caught the replay of it this morning.

Man the announcing crew was ragging on the officials pretty bad.

But that ending...I thought it was going to be another Cal ending...that was just crazy.

devman90

The Master of Disaster
Reaction score
is shanle related to the guy on dallas>

but yea the officiating was PATHETIC

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
NFL fans like to complain about officiating but good gawd, that was the worst officiated game I've ever seen.

There's very few things in life I enjoy more, especially around the holidays, than seeing my brother-in-law's maize and blue lose, but how was the entire Nebraska team running on the field while the game was still ongoing not "too many men on the field"?

joseephuss

Reaction score
StanleySpadowski said:
NFL fans like to complain about officiating but good gawd, that was the worst officiated game I've ever seen.

There's very few things in life I enjoy more, especially around the holidays, than seeing my brother-in-law's maize and blue lose, but how was the entire Nebraska team running on the field while the game was still ongoing not "too many men on the field"?

I saw an explanation. Michigan also had extra players run onto the field. Both teams should have been flagged. It would be off setting penalties and the end of the game.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
joseephuss said:
I saw an explanation. Michigan also had extra players run onto the field. Both teams should have been flagged. It would be off setting penalties and the end of the game.

That may be the case but if it were, why were no flags thrown and then sorted out?

That would be like two players standing on the fifty yard line going toe to toe in a slugfest and having every official say "no sense in throwing a flag, they'll just offset."

My comment on the officiating was more than just that play though. Teams having to call TOs to get a play reviewed even when the other team isn't rushing to get a play off, fumbles never being reviewed.....

joseephuss

Reaction score
StanleySpadowski said:
That may be the case but if it were, why were no flags thrown and then sorted out?

That would be like two players standing on the fifty yard line going toe to toe in a slugfest and having every official say "no sense in throwing a flag, they'll just offset."

My comment on the officiating was more than just that play though. Teams having to call TOs to get a play reviewed even when the other team isn't rushing to get a play off, fumbles never being reviewed.....

I agree. That is just what I saw on ESPN. That game had some bad officiating in particular, but there have been several bad calls in other bowl games as well.

One of the problems with instant replay is that it isn't the same in every game. That goes for college and the NFL. I am referring to camera equipment, camera operators producers and stuff like that. Whether that is the stadium equipment or the networks equipment. It is not standardized. Some games have the better cameras or more cameras. Some games are in high definition and other are not.

In the NFL, Phil Simms tallks so much that CBS does a poor job of just showing replays. If that is what a coach or an official in the booth has to rely on to decide whether a play should be reviewed, what can you do. Same with ESPN. They were too busy talking to Summerall the other night that they didn't even show any replays of what was going on during the game.

That is the kind of stuff that needs to be evaluated. Until something is done, coaches will have to burn time outs in some cases to gain time for a review to occur.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
joseephuss said:
I agree. That is just what I saw on ESPN. That game had some bad officiating in particular, but there have been several bad calls in other bowl games as well.

One of the problems with instant replay is that it isn't the same in every game. That goes for college and the NFL. I am referring to camera equipment, camera operators producers and stuff like that. Whether that is the stadium equipment or the networks equipment. It is not standardized. Some games have the better cameras or more cameras. Some games are in high definition and other are not.

In the NFL, Phil Simms tallks so much that CBS does a poor job of just showing replays. If that is what a coach or an official in the booth has to rely on to decide whether a play should be reviewed, what can you do. Same with ESPN. They were too busy talking to Summerall the other night that they didn't even show any replays of what was going on during the game.

That is the kind of stuff that needs to be evaluated. Until something is done, coaches will have to burn time outs in some cases to gain time for a review to occur.

I do agree with you. Remember when the Rams supposedly caught a ball right at the first down marker, the Dallas defender ran up waving the incomplete signal and ESPN was so concerned about showing us the booth that we never saw even one replay live?

Kind of off topic, but most people don't realize that Joe Paterno is the sole reason that there even is replay on the college level. In Penn State's opinion they were "screwed" by Big 10 officiating week in and week out. Paterno even sprinted after an officiating crew after one particularly malodorous game. He complained so loudly so often that the Big 10 finally relented to having replay just to shut the old man up.

Now if Penn State could have just beaten Michigan and gotten snubbed for the title game, maybe we'd see a playoff in the near future.

joseephuss

Reaction score
StanleySpadowski said:
I do agree with you. Remember when the Rams supposedly caught a ball right at the first down marker, the Dallas defender ran up waving the incomplete signal and ESPN was so concerned about showing us the booth that we never saw even one replay live?

Kind of off topic, but most people don't realize that Joe Paterno is the sole reason that there even is replay on the college level. In Penn State's opinion they were "screwed" by Big 10 officiating week in and week out. Paterno even sprinted after an officiating crew after one particularly malodorous game. He complained so loudly so often that the Big 10 finally relented to having replay just to shut the old man up.

Now if Penn State could have just beaten Michigan and gotten snubbed for the title game, maybe we'd see a playoff in the near future.

I remember that play. I thought it touched the ground, but the announcers were too busy being touchy, feely that a replay wasn't shown.