AOL Fanhouse Blog: How Chad Johnson Differs From Terrell Owens

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Posted Sep 21st 2007 10:03AM by Michael David Smith
Filed under: Bengals, Cowboys, Dallas, Cincinnati, The Word

Yesterday I complained that Cowboys wide receiver Terrell Owens can never just make a big play without doing something stupid afterward. I noted that while the NFL cracks down too hard on players who celebrate on the field, that's no excuse for Owens breaking league rules and getting penalties.

One commenter then asked me a good question: "Why is it that you call out T.O. but say you're a big Chad Johnson fan, and enjoy the way he celebrates?"

To me, this headline on a column by Frank Hughes in today's News-Tribune gets it exactly right: Owens provokes fans, while Johnson makes them grin. It really is that simple.

Johnson and Owens are both great receivers. Johnson and Owens both engage in touchdown celebrations that draw attention to themselves. But Johnson's effect seems to be making the fans laugh, while Owens' effect seems to be making the fans angry. There's no accounting for taste, and some fans might think Owens is funny and Johnson is infuriating. But for me, Johnson seems like a good guy and Owens seems like a jerk.

LINK

Reader Comments said:
1. how bout, one did it on field, other did it on the sideline?

Posted at 10:21AM on Sep 21st 2007 by Horatio

2. sorry, but the camera thing TO did last weekend was funnier than anything Chad has done in the last 2 years. chad's stuff was funnier when he didnt announce what he was going to do a week beforehand.

Posted at 10:26AM on Sep 21st 2007 by Spencer

3. Ask anyone in the league. They'll all tell you Johnson is a great teammate, great opponent, and actually a good person too. He really means no harm, and as a result, most everyone likes him.

Posted at 10:39AM on Sep 21st 2007 by nyc

4. Michael David Smith, no offense here is intended pal, but you are a flippin' moron. You're, literally, hershey squirting a bunch of stinky drivel with this post. Do you have a post quota you need to hit or something?

Posted at 10:55AM on Sep 21st 2007 by Kustie the Klown

5. The issue is not on the field versus on the sideline. The NFL rule clearly dictates ANYWHERE on the field. The point that everyone seems to miss is not if the player makes the fans laugh or not, it's that a rule is a rule. either enforce the rule across the board, or do away with it. Personally, i'd like it to be abolished, but as long as the rule stays, the NFL owes Terrell Owens a refund, or Chad Johnson a fine.

Posted at 10:56AM on Sep 21st 2007 by Habu

6. Another difference between TO and Chad Johnson is that TO is a true NFL legend who is sure to get a bust in Canton, while Chad Johnson's "HOF jacket" thing is gonna turn out like that loudmouth freshman at the fraternity rush event who brags about how he's gonna get in the frat, and then who ends up getting blackballed for it.

Oh yeah, and the Bengals are a nothing franchise that has never done anything and never will. And the Dallas Cowboys are, well uhhh, the Dallas Cowboys. Nuff said LOL.

Posted at 11:01AM on Sep 21st 2007 by Kustie the Klown

7. They are both idiots, anyone heard of Marvin Harrison. Act like you've done it before and be a professional.

Posted at 11:34AM on Sep 21st 2007 by Shawn

8. I understand the difference between TO and Spanish 8-5 personality-wise, but the football/camera celebration - how did that anger the home crowd when it wasn't directed at anyone in particular? For this case last weekend, the fine was silly or should have been levied to anyone who celebrated.

Posted at 11:53AM on Sep 21st 2007 by alumnigonzo

9. One big jerk
One bigger one

Posted at 12:12PM on Sep 21st 2007 by Rich Cantwell

10. I will say this Kustie, you really earned your name as a clown with that post. "A true NFL legend?" What exactly makes Me-O so legendary? The fact that he single-handedly sabotaged the Eagles? How about when he called his teammate Jeff Garcia gay? Oh, I know, what about his legendary cry for attention suicide attempt and subsequent presser where he announced (via his publicist) that he had 21 million reasons to live.
Like Kustie, Me-O is a clown and the Cowboys have a long history of hiring rent-a-thugs like Me-o, Tanked Johnson, Q-dawg carter, Keith Davis and charles haley. True, the cowboys used to be great, but reality check: Dem Boys haven't won a playoff game in over a decade. Ouch. Just like Me-O the cowboys of today are all sizzle, no steak. In that way, they're a perfect match.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
T.O. run blocks?

I know it's trivial in the grand scheme of things compared to end zone dances, but it's worth noting.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
So Chad jumps in the dog pound gets beer thrown at him, and he's antics are more liked by the fans?

PLease save me some of that bull****

sago1

Reaction score
I tried to get another look at the great plays we made against the Dolphins but when I clicked on Curtis, TO, etc., a note just came up saying account was suspended, etc. Wonder what's going on.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Chad cracks me up. He can't top proposing to the cheerleader or the riverdance. My favorite TO celebration was last year depositing the football in the big salvation army bucket.

I'm not a fan of celebrations any more but I used to love them. But I think that was when they were the same. Butch Johnson's blazing 6 guns, the Ickey Shuffle, Billy White Shoe's crazy legs, etc.

Now that they are looking for new ways to do it, it just doesn't seem as fun to me anymore. Chad Johnson is kind of an exception and I don't know why other than he honestly does make me laugh.